RD 5, Pick 156: RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas

Watched the video....great balance...feet always in a place to make the cut or power ahead, makes himself small in the hole, hits the hole quickly and decisively.....frankly he reminded me of Fred Jackson in these regards.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley has gone full retard now.

Right, you know more about what he should be doing than he does.

Why does everyone say we need WR? Woods was hurt all year and still played. Sammy is Sammy. How many targets is any rookie from the 4th/5th round going to get? 1 per game? Meanwhile it is easy to see the RB contributing a lot.

I can see OT or SS, but unless there is someone specific you have in mind that goes between this pick and our next then it doesn't matter. Do you have someone in mind? Do they have a name?

Not everyone says we do.

Whaley is essentially Donahoe.

You're essentially ignorant.

This is getting really funny. Do they look at their board, see a few guys they consider about the same, and then go with the player named Williams?

well the Brown name has gained momentum.

Lawson is tied in the running

5 things to know about Jonathan Williams

jonathan-williams-graphic.jpg

The Bills added to their depth at running back in the 5th round by selecting Jonathan Williams from Arkansas.

Listen - Williams: "I'm ready to play again" (3:20)

Bills 5th round pick, RB Jonathan Williams out of Arkansas talks to the media about his foot injury that sidelined him for the 2015 season, his running style, and the competition he faces here in Buffalo.

Watch: Jonathan Williams Highlights (1:16)

Watch some electrifying runs from Bills' 5th Rd draft pick out of Arkansas, RB Jonathan Williams.

Yards after contact is RB Jonathan Williams calling card

williams-story-stats-graphic.jpg

Jonathan Williams did not play in 2015 due to a foot injury, but in his college career the big-bodied back proved difficult to bring down.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No idea. Does he need to haha!

anyone watch this kid from Arkansas ?

Its been a year and a half since he's been on the field, but I've seen a significant majority of his college plays. Taking their entire careers into account, he was a better player at Arkansas than Alex Collins was, which isn't a knock against Collins. The writeups are generally accurate to my impression of him: he's a high effort, physical and consistent between the tackles runner with just enough speed and quickness to make someone miss or to do serious damage outside. The one thing that always stood out to me that was that he's one of those guys who always seems to find that extra yard or two (or three or four) when he should be tackled. Plus, he catches the ball well enough to get by with. The only thing I can really knock him for is that he fumbles a little too often while fighting for extra yardage.

In any case, if he comes back 100% from that injury, I think the Bills and the fans will be happy they picked him.

Its been a year and a half since he's been on the field, but I've seen a significant majority of his college plays. Taking their entire careers into account, he was a better player at Arkansas than Alex Collins was, which isn't a knock against Collins. The writeups are generally accurate to my impression of him: he's a high effort, physical and consistent between the tackles runner with just enough speed and quickness to make someone miss or to do serious damage outside. The one thing that always stood out to me that was that he's one of those guys who always seems to find that extra yard or two (or three or four) when he should be tackled. Plus, he catches the ball well enough to get by with. The only thing I can really knock him for is that he fumbles a little too often while fighting for extra yardage.

In any case, if he comes back 100% from that injury, I think the Bills and the fans will be happy they picked him.

It sounds like Fred Jackson

Arkansas fan here. Our fans loved JWill and I always thought he was the better back than Collins. He was set for a huge year before the foot injury. By all accounts he is an awesome person and his teammates loved him. I believe someone (NFL draft breakdown?) compared him to Duce Staley. Here is a really good article that talks about him before he broke his foot. Called him the most complete RB in the country.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/film-study-arkansas-jonathan-williams-complete-rb-country/

I'm sure Kurt Anderson put in a good word for him since he's probably been around him some by now

Thank you very kindly Brandon for your helpful insight. You reinforced me rooting for the kid. and your knock is not overly uncommon in young players who strive for those extra yards. I imagine that will be corrected with coaching.

Arkansas fan here. Our fans loved JWill and I always thought he was the better back than Collins. He was set for a huge year before the foot injury. By all accounts he is an awesome person and his teammates loved him. I believe someone (NFL draft breakdown?) compared him to Duce Staley. Here is a really good article that talks about him before he broke his foot. Called him the most complete RB in the country.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/film-study-arkansas-jonathan-williams-complete-rb-country/

I'm sure Kurt Anderson put in a good word for him since he's probably been around him some by now

I would like to thank you also for your input to enlighten some of us

Wrong. I am quite happy with Lawson. I have been a Whaley supporter. He deserves the benefit of the doubt but the last three picks don't help this year.

They need a WR, a SS, and an OT. Not another RB.

You have no idea. You're just guessing but really have no clue what will happen this year. 2 players picked late last year made the team, and one, Karlos Williams was very good. The year before Seantrel Henderson started at RT as a 7th rounder.

interesting - as a complete 3 down back with strong pass protection he could be good McCoy insurance. One analyst said his 2014 season was similar to Zeke Elliott in his abilities.

Just remember Karlos was considered a "head scratcher" last year. And we had to go into some games last season with Boobie Dixon and boom Herron as our top 2 RBs. This is a run based offense and they need as much good RB depth as they can fit on the roster.

Exactly. You can't have too many good backs. Karlos may be too injury prone to stay in the league and mccoy is approaching 30. This is a need

Had to take a Williams I guess...

Interesting story...Not sure why they took a RB...But whatever...There had to be at least one head scratcher... B-)

Did we not have to sign guys off the street last year? And not for nothing, the kid looks exactly like Fred Jackson when he runs so if Doug got us a new, younger, faster Fred? I'm in.

If you can't realize they are two totally different players even with injuries then I don't know what to say.

Clay is an injury prone player putting up middle tier AT BEST offensive numbers making tier 1 TE money.

Gronk is injury prone although less than Clay, putting up ELITE offensive numbers making tier 1 TE money.

I am terribly sorry that you are paying Clay out of your own pocket......I along with the rest of the bills fans would like to really thank you for endearing this hardship.

I am not going to point out who has actually throwing Gronk the ball....wait I just did.

TE is actually a disaster which nobody talks about.

Yeah I can't remember ever talking about how our TE situation is an abysmal mess.

It's a good thing 6th rounders are supposed to step in and start because we spent a 6th rounder on a TE last year. Thank Christ for 6th round draft picks amirite? Crisis averted.

I hate to pass on a DL value in this draft but without the running game Roman's offense falls apart completely and McCoy is breaking down and Karlos is in that Percy Harvin category......dangerous but one play from retirement. Gillislee is the most likely back to give you close to a full season and that just isn't enough. Any mock draft I completed without a late RB just hasn't felt right. You don't need a great RB to make it roll but they gotta' be willing to cut the ball up inside the hashes when it's there like MG and Karlos. That's where the HR's are in this rush offense. This is that kind of guy.

When I look at this kid he might be better be a very good RB.....

It would be nice to hit on that kind of RB in consecutive years