RD 3, Pick 80: DT Adolphus Washington, The Ohio State U

Beerball

I don't understand why this is such a big issue. He wanted to pay for a BJ. Big deal. When he is an NFL player , buffalo girls will give him one for free.

The simple answer is that NFL teams have an evaluation process. It's not just about the highlight tape. There are medical evals and psych evals, etc. Then the decision-maker has to weigh all these factors and make the best decision.

Nobody wants to draft the next Rae Carruth, Aaron Hernandez, Johnny Football, etc. We just saw Tunsil's fall. Character matters. We just saw Jack's fall. Medical matters.

The worst news would be if the Bills took a likewise cavalier attitude themselves. "Big whoop. Who doesn't want a blowjob from a prostitute?" and didn't do their own homework.

Like I said, hopefully this guy just made a dumb decision and turns into an All-Pro. That'd be great, and most people won't care about this red flag. (I say most because there will always be talk. There is still talk about Bruce, Jim Kelly, Thurman, etc.)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Braxton and hope he does well. But seems like the guys that transition from QB to WR turn out not to be all that effective. The only exception I can think of is Randel-El, who was a solid slot guy and gadget player.

a bigger version of Randall Cobb is who I think he will be

Right now Corbin Bryant is a starter in their new conventional 3-4 along with Dareus and Kyle Williams. Hughes and Shaq Lawson are OLB.

They needed quality depth at least, and desperately so.

I'm sure Jarran Reed was an option for them over Ragland - hopefully Ragland's coverage issues aren't as bad as advertised.

They tried to trade back in to get Reed...sigh

Sounds like a pick with a pretty high ceiling if they can get him to be a "pro" and give 100% effort, all the time.

His record demonstrates his willingness to give 100 when he sees a hole.

I think it's easier to find 3s that can play the zero rather than vice versa. Too much worry about "true nose tackles" when it just isn't a concern. We've got several guys that can line up over the nose, but we don't play that exclusively, anyway. Need big guys who can shoot gaps more.

GO BILLS!!!

I've been saying this all along. The big nose tackle is not used much these days. Every single guy in our front four can get after the passer. That is exactly what we want. Not just some guy who can withstand a double team. When you have this many guys getting after the QB, the offense has to pick and chose who to double. Add in Rex's propensity for blitzing LBs,safeties and CB's. The offense will never know where the overloaded blitz is coming from. This is a good pick. The guy just needs to get better at stopping the run. However, we did just get a thumper at MLB.

No drug problems, no beating up women, no stealing from the dorms, no running with gang banger homies, no sexual assaults, no gun-carrying, no hangin' in Vegas, etc. The only thing the kid did was try to have a little bit of sex...with a woman even...and he now is seen as someone with serious character issues??? Man, there are some seriously uptight Puritanical prudish Moral Majority types around here, many of whom I assume are hypocrits about sexual matters.

as Kirby said in another thread, he's a poor man's Nkemdiche. DE skill set who can play inside. He will definitely contribute and help this team as a rookie and has a chance to develop into a starter when Kyle is gone.

I was admittedly upset initially because I wanted them to take Braxton instead. Not really because I didn't want the player. But I've come around.

It's a classic Whaley pick that I would compare to the Karlos Williams pick from last year. Enticing skill set from a successful program, overshadowed by teammates, bit of a "past" off-field. could prove to have a lot of value from mid-rounds.

Whaley has often picked players i needed to go back to look at more closely.

i guess everyone has given up on Goodwin? Third year's a charm...

not me .

I've been saying this all along. The big nose tackle is not used much these days. Every single guy in our front four can get after the passer. That is exactly what we want. Not just some guy who can withstand a double team. When you have this many guys getting after the QB, the offense has to pick and chose who to double. Add in Rex's propensity for blitzing LBs,safeties and CB's. The offense will never know where the overloaded blitz is coming from. This is a good pick. The guy just needs to get better at stopping the run. However, we did just get a thumper at MLB.

Ragland will shut down anything that squeaks past . See the plan? I think YOU do Rockinon : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Whaley has often picked players i needed to go back to look at more closely.

not me .

Ragland will shut down anything that squeaks past . See the plan? I think YOU do Rockinon : )

Yep, we are drafting with a plan. Refreshing

My theory on this is if your gonna unleash down linemen to go after the QB then you better have a legit thumper MLB that can take on and shed blocks behind them.......

This is why the Ragland pick was beautiful. That kid is an absolute beast

I see some people were scratching their heads with this pick. I went back a ways to look at another DT that really didn't grade out very well. Funny thing is, that same player has been to the pro bowl and played at an extremely high level for ten years. I'm sure some of you know just who I am talking about but in case you don't check this.

Draft Profile

Edited by Rockinon

i was thinking on the same line, to offset the lack of a nose, you have a couple of stout LBs with decent enough athleticism to drop into coverage.

I can understand posters not liking the pick because of the guy, but not liking him because of the opportunity cost is absurd. Do posters really think he'll have less of an impact than the 8th OT or the 8th WR selected? Do they realize that that 8th WR selected would be--at best--the fourth option in our offense? Do they know we had the 31st most pass attempts in 2015?

Agreed

While i'm not the biggest fan of this pick, i understand the need to find KW replacement. I just, as i think many here were also hoping/thinking, would have liked a true NT. I was shocked that we didn't take Billings (although i've seen reports that he was completely removed from our board). I also heard reports that we tried to trade up a second time to get Jarren Reed (i would have probably died and gone to heaven if he was our third pick).

Interestingly enough, I think that Rex and the Bills are looking for a specific type of player for the DL. Not sure if you guys saw this, but this UDFA we got seems to be a clone of our third pick.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/4/8/11351530/washington-redskins-2016-draft-profiles-justin-zimmer-dl

Seems like Rex needed someone like this and doubled down on it. Also while it's the supposed heir apparent to KW, i suppose only time will tell if either guy takes up that spot on the D-line.

Interesting anecdote from one of Whaley's post-draft interviews. He said that the reason they brought 6 OSU guys in at the same time and took them to dinner was because they wanted to watch them interact with each other. They wanted to see who everyone listened to when he spoke. Who stood out as a leader amongst the group. That player was Adolphus.