RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

This is my favorite take thus far... He's about to miss a half a season based on guys who aren't doctors or guys who haven't examined him

And just so we are aware, Dr. Adam Schefter has been wrong with medical diagnosis' before. One that I remember, because Jeff Fisher openly mocked him, was in 2014 when he tweeted that Sam Bradford hadn't torn his ACL. Fisher said "funny I don't remember Adam being in the training room". And in fact Bradford had torn his ACL.

My point: I wouldn't take these time frames as fact.

Schefter is a slimy tird but the bottom line in this case is that he was correct about Lawson the first time and the Bills were wrong. Now he gives an estimate on recovery and we're supposed to assume he is wrong? Why is that? Oh, right because of Sam Bradford two years ago.

It is simple math to realize he'll miss half the season. Whatever games are his first two or three played, do you think he will be effective? So if the plays in week 5, do you expect a superstar at that point? At what point will he become the player we thought we drafted? If you're looking at it realistically that time is 2017.

@theMMQB

1. but after Rex Ryan didn’t satisfy his playoffs promise in 2015 and the team put out a statement assuring his job security after one season, he’s clearly stockpiled the fort around him to prove last year was an anomaly. He brought his brother, Rob, to Buffalo, and he drafted defense with the first three picks. For a team in batten-down-the-hatches mode, heading into the season with two of your key pieces fighting injuries is tough news.

In what universe was last year an anomaly for Ryan? Does the writer know the meaning of the word?

They said he was fully cleared and would be a day one starter.

But did they mean Day one of December?

In what universe was last year an anomaly for Ryan? Does the writer know the meaning of the word?

But did they mean Day one of December?

He just said that Ryan needs to prove that last year was an anomaly, not that it actually was one. The not so subtle inference is that Ryan's seat is getting hot.

He just said that Ryan needs to prove that last year was an anomaly, not that it actually was one. The not so subtle inference is that Ryan's seat is getting hot.

Ryan needs to win for about 7 straight seasons to prove that losing is the anomaly. If he goes 15-1 this year then great....but the winning season will still be the anomaly. You can't undo a half decade straight of unmitigated failure in one year. It is a math thing.

If this and if that. If McCoy grows wings and can fly above the field he'll score a touchdown on every play.

The die was cast for something like this before they even drafted Lawson. They had to ignore the medical reports the other teams took into account because Rex's horrible mismanagement of his roster forced them into a dire need at this position. It wasn't just a top need, it was a make or break the team need. That's on Rex because he turned gold into straw from 2014-15 and created the hole at the position. Round 2....also on Rex. A great college linebacker who is seen as too slow to play at a top level in the NFL but we need him because Rex can't get anything out of Brown who had a very solid rookie season. 3rd round.....filling yet another gap, not one that was totally on Rex but partially.

It's May and Rex's 2016 plan, which Whaley was cornered into executing in the draft, has already fallen apart because it hinged on getting lucky with an injured player. We had our usual bad luck and the defense will suck again. It needs 11 perfect puzzle pieces to even have a chance at working.....and even then it has been a proven failure, but we're already down to 10 at best and we're wishing and praying that our safety doesn't get hurt. I am worried for Aaron Williams....not Rex's fault.....but his health is more important than trying to help a failed system.

The worst case scenario is that somehow Rex gets Whaley run out of town and he gets to stay. Whaley has drafted well IMO and he has been saddled.....partially of his own doing.....with head coaches that are just terrible. This year's draft class could go on to have great NFL careers although it seems like a real long shot for Ragland. Lawson, Jones, Williams all have brilliant upsides. Washington can be serviceable. Ragland would have been an awesome player in 1990 or before. Without Lawson being ready and up to speed, which is pretty much an impossibility at this point, EVERYTHING will have to click on offense because this D will probably slide again. #4----->#19-------#xx? My guess is about 28 and it's an absolute sin. It's the NFL and people get fired for stuff like this. It is so easy to imagine Whaley winning Super Bowls for the Rams or Colts or whoever.

We won 8 games last year (two of those were losses by EJ while Tyrod was injured). Our defense was pitiful but how much of that stench was attributable to a princess DE who refused to play team football? You are going overboard on your assessment of the team and the coaches/FO imo.

He'll miss all of the physical reps, but certainly not the team meetings. He'll be in catch up mode. No doubt about that, but in the long term he'll be a very good player for the Bills.

He might end up being very good for the Bills but if he misses training camp as a rookie his rookie season is pretty much all gone in terms of getting a high level of production. There's rarely ever any catching up from that.

Edited by MDH

They said he was fully cleared and would be a day one starter.

Exactly. they knew there was a problem, Every team did. but the Bills downplayed it. Did it with others

Drafted players too. Roll the dice, maybe a Bruce Smith, maybe a John McCargo type player/ career.

Missing a few games if that no big deal.

For an established NFL player. For a rookie missing training camp/pre season and unproven at the NFL level.

he may come out of the gate a tad slow. Sitting in meetings, studying schemes is one thing. Contact in games with the

Opposition is another. best of luck to the kid. he seems like a hard worker.

Ryan needs to win for about 7 straight seasons to prove that losing is the anomaly. If he goes 15-1 this year then great....but the winning season will still be the anomaly. You can't undo a half decade straight of unmitigated failure in one year. It is a math thing.

133-0? Would be hard to argue with that math.

He might end up being very good for the Bills but if he misses training camp as a rookie his rookie season is pretty much all gone in terms of getting a high level of production. There's rarely ever any catching up from that.

We'll see whether that is the case or not. It's too early to say what his impact will be IMO, but it's perfectly legitimate to be concerned about it.

I wasn't arguing the point, just trying to clarify that the writer didn't say that last season was an anomaly for Rex.

Ryan showed me who he was last season when he was unable or unwilling to work with the defensive talent in place. The best coaches mold their systems to their players. He can't/won't. So we wound up a lot of players who didn't fit the scheme, many of whom were way overpaid for what they were asked to do. Some of them are gone, but not all of them. Now we just used virtually a whole draft to help get players who fit Rex's scheme and, as a result, totally neglected adding some desperately needed offensive help. Last season, when I realized what was going on, I predicted that Rex would last just long enough here to dismantle the impressive, attacking defense that was in place. That we'd wind up with some expensive leftovers from that defense mixed with his more passive and complicated style of players. In short, that the defense will be a mess for the next coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong, but I still think this is where it's heading.

Yeah...our running game, QB play and offensive game planning during the Marrone years was top notch.

Why let facts get in the way of the nattering nabob's negative narrative?

I wasn't arguing the point, just trying to clarify that the writer didn't say that last season was an anomaly for Rex.

Ryan showed me who he was last season when he was unable or unwilling to work with the defensive talent in place. The best coaches mold their systems to their players. He can't/won't. So we wound up a lot of players who didn't fit the scheme, many of whom were way overpaid for what they were asked to do. Some of them are gone, but not all of them. Now we just used virtually a whole draft to help get players who fit Rex's scheme and, as a result, totally neglected adding some desperately needed offensive help. Last season, when I realized what was going on, I predicted that Rex would last just long enough here to dismantle the impressive, attacking defense that was in place. That we'd wind up with some expensive leftovers from that defense mixed with his more passive and complicated style of players. In short, that the defense will be a mess for the next coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong, but I still think this is where it's heading.

If that is true, then explain why Ryan attempted to incorporate some of Schwartz's concepts in the Bills D in 2015? People just keep repeating the same lies as facts. Here we go again with the usual suspect spewing untruths.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Schefter is a slimy tird but the bottom line in this case is that he was correct about Lawson the first time and the Bills were wrong. Now he gives an estimate on recovery and we're supposed to assume he is wrong? Why is that? Oh, right because of Sam Bradford two years ago.

It is simple math to realize he'll miss half the season. Whatever games are his first two or three played, do you think he will be effective? So if the plays in week 5, do you expect a superstar at that point? At what point will he become the player we thought we drafted? If you're looking at it realistically that time is 2017.

What?

This is a ridiculous take and all I can do is laugh.

If that is true, then explain why Ryan attempted to incorporate some on Schwartz's concepts in the Bills D in 2015? People just keep repeating the same lies as facts. Here we go again with the usual suspect spewing untruths.

I remember Ryan SAYING that he was going to add in some of the previously used concepts, but I saw no proof that it ever happened beyond lip service. Edited by BarleyNY

Tyrod and Roman saved last season from being a complete disaster, agreed. Tyrods the best thing this team has going for it, so in that respect props to Doug/Rex. Doesn't excuse the fall of the defense.

Tyrod was brought in at Rex's request so he did make one good decision (despite what Gugny says). :D

I remember Ryan SAYING that he was going to add in some of the previously used concepts, but I saw no proof that it ever happened beyond lip service.

Then you should go back and look at the 2015 season to see for yourself. Carry on.

At the time of the draft, had the Bills said Lawson was going to immediately get surgery, would that make this easier for some of you?

Is it the seeming ineptitude of the FO for not seeing this coming or the fact that our first round pick won't be ready until halfway through the season

And yes, I believe that's how long until he's ready. It's 3/4 months before he can start getting his body into game shape. So it will take some time before he's ready. Then, realize he's a rookie and it takes some time to get him acclimated to the speed of the game.

I'm saying he starts by Halloween. But we won't see the impact until december.

Look at any rookie at his position, they rarely set the world on fire immediately.

That's not pessimism, just rookies