Jaylon Smith - What round is he worth the risk?

KDIGGZ

132 members have voted

1. 1. What round would you take Jaylon Smith?

• Round 1 - players come back from bad knee injuries all the time
    • Round 2 - maybe not worth a 1st but good value in Rd 2
    • Round 3 - steal in round 3 for best player in draft
    • Round 4 - you have 2 picks in the 4th so why not
    • Round 4 - compensatory pick
    • Round 5 - can't believe he's still on the board
    • Round 6 - too good to be true
    • Round 6 - compensatory pick
    • Waste of a pick - not worth the risk
    • UDFA

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone will take him by the third round. The upside is to great. It takes one team that has an extra pick in the 2nd to rationalize it to themselves.

Tenn has 3 picks in the first 15 of the second.

NE has two picks at the end of the second. I could see BB taking him.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

As a Notre Dame fan I have watched Jaylon every week during the seasons over the last three years. The guy is a beast. He flies all over the field and makes tackles on every level. I worry about his injury though. Any time that your foot is flopping around due to nerve damage almost 5 months removed from an injury that has to be a bit scary and disheartening. I hope he makes a full recovery because he will be a Top 10 LB in the NFL imo. I would take a chance on him if he was still there in the 4th.

A question: in retrospect, was Willis McGahee a good pick (irrespective of whether one thinks RBs aren't worth high picks)? Did he live up to his billing?

My view: he had a solid career and was a pretty good player for a few years, but he never regained the top-end speed he had in college. He wasn't a difference maker. Smith's injury, from what I've read, is complicated in the same sense that McGahee's was -- it wasn't a clean and simple ACL tear like Gurley's. The latter sort of injury is relatively easy to come back from now. I don't know about Smith's chances, however.

How do you spend a 2nd round pick on a guy who can't even control his foot right now?

You have a medical staff that thinks he will regain control in a way that will allow him to disrupt offenses consistently for the several years that follow

A question: in retrospect, was Willis McGahee a good pick (irrespective of whether one thinks RBs aren't worth high picks)? Did he live up to his billing?

My view: he had a solid career and was a pretty good player for a few years, but he never regained the top-end speed he had in college. He wasn't a difference maker. Smith's injury, from what I've read, is complicated in the same sense that McGahee's was -- it wasn't a clean and simple ACL tear like Gurley's. The latter sort of injury is relatively easy to come back from now. I don't know about Smith's chances, however.

The difference between McGahee and Smith's injuries is that the latter has resulted in nerve damage from which he can never recover. If he has "drop foot", as some have suggested, he'll never set foot on a football field as a player ever again. With McGahee, it was reconstructive knee surgery and damage to multiple ligaments, but without the nerve issue.

You have a medical staff that thinks he will regain control in a way that will allow him to disrupt offenses consistently for the several years that follow

Thank you. All it takes is one team with a different view of the risk/reward. An explosive top 5 (10 for certain) pick could be just the move a team with a stable FO will make. I could see Baltimore taking a flyer on him.

Read a report saying he has what they call "drop foot". It's essentially where your foot flops around when you walk due to nerve damage. I'd say 4th Round compensatory depending who is on the board. I have also read that some view him as undraftable now.

I have drop foot in both feet from a flu shot gone REAL bad. I wear AFOs.

If that's true and he's got drop foot, that's bad news. I can tell you this - with drop foot, you only run in the case of fire or zombie hoard. You're not doing it for fun. Drop foot beats the hell out of your ankles, knees and your gait overall.

Edited by dpberr