YoloinOhio

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, 5 parts is a lot.

Here's my guess how they break it down:

Part 1: Childhood through USC

Part 2: the NFL playing days (the only fun part!)

Part 3: Media darling and movie star

Part 4: Murder and Trial of the Century

Part 5: Life after the trial

LA Grant -- that sounds about right.

A 5-part series on this guy? Why?

Because his story is one of the most fascinating in US history.

Juvenile delinquent from the hood not only becomes one of the greatest and most celebrated athletes of the century, but transcends sports and into popular culture, is a pioneer in breaking down racial barriers, most dramatically with his national advertising campaigns as well as his TV/movie appearances. And just as he's moving into the prime of his post-athletic life he is charged with double murder and becomes the central figure in one of the most sensationalized and infamous criminal cases in history, forever changing the way Americans look at the criminal justice system and the 'Court TV' industry.

Hard to overstate the impact of OJ Simpson's life. I can't wait to watch it.

It is such a good series. The list of great ones is too long now to even try to run down.

Juvenile delinquent from the hood not only becomes one of the greatest and most celebrated athletes of the century, but transcends sports and into popular culture, is a pioneer in breaking down racial barriers, most dramatically with his national advertising campaigns as well as his TV/movie appearances. And just as he's moving into the prime of his post-athletic life he is charged with double murder and becomes the central figure in one of the most sensationalized and infamous criminal cases in history, forever changing the way Americans look at the criminal justice system and the 'Court TV' industry.

Good summary. I would only add that while it wasn't wholly true, most people that knew him and spent any time with him thought he was a really good and nice guy. There really were not a lot of stories around Buffalo or LA for the vast majority of his life about what a jerk he was. Just the opposite. Sure, in the last portion of his life Nicole's friends and family were scared of him and all that changed. But for the most part, he was thought of very fondly.

OJs greatest stat is the per game rushing average for a season. In 73 he averaged over 143 yards per game, second place is Jim Brown in 63 at 133.1. He destroyed that record. That record will be hard to beat, especially with longer seasons.

That being said. he is a piece of crap human being.

Right, who was a wife beater.

Would rather watch this than about the 4 Super Bowl losses.

It will be good for younger football fans to see just how great a running back Simpson was. I hope they include a couple of clips of him from the shows where they had top athletes in various sports competing against each other. I think they called it the Superstars competition. Simpson was a completely dominant athlete, even among the best from all sports.

That was a different era, before the media found out it could sell ads and papers from exposing the dark side of public figures. I heard rumors about Simpson's private life in the early 70s in Buffalo, but that was considered off-limits. So the lack of news stories doesn't prove the lack of issues, even back then.

The Bills with Simpson, Ahmad Rashad, the Electric Company, and Joe Ferguson, had a great offense. They couldn't play defense in those years, otherwise they'd have made the playoffs more than they did.

They already did a whole episode on that. Was one of the best 30 For 30's I have seen.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=june-17th-1994

I will never forget the day of the car chase. It was actually the day my wife of now 15 years & I had our first date. She came over my house & I explained to her that we can't go out & we have stay here & watch this car chase on TV as this is history in the making. She said okay & then asked a question I couldn't believe. She asked "who is OJ Simpson?" I should of kicked her right out of the house.

Edited by Gordio