ESPN 30 for 30 - O.J.: Made in America

YoloinOhio

I will never forget the day of the car chase. It was actually the day my wife of now 15 years & I had our first date. She came over my house & I explained to her that we can't go out & we have stay here & watch this car chase on TV as this is history in the making. She said okay & then asked a question I couldn't believe. She asked "who is OJ Simpson?" I should of kicked her right out of the house.

And I hope you answered: An actor who should have won a best supporting academy award for Naked Gun and Naked Gun 2 and half.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TheBuffaloNews

The Buffalo News Retweeted Alan Pergament

#OJSimpson #FX miniseries premieres Feb 2, #ESPN documentary debuts at #Sundance film festival Jan 22, airs in June.

@StillTalkinTV

ICYMI: A blog posted late Tuesday on O.J. Simpson series: http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/espn-films-documentary-premieres-jan-22-at-sundance-before-june-airing-on-espn-airs-in-june-j/

I know the immediate reaction of most people when they hear "OJ" is "double murderer", but for me my thoughts always initially go to how great he was as a football player and what an idol he was to me and my grade school friends

A 5-part series on this guy? Why?

I think people sometimes forget just how popular OJ was at the time of the murders. He was all over TV as one of the biggest product endorsers at the time, in movies, on broadcasts, he was everywhere and adored by all. One of the biggest pop culture stories in history and really changed, for better or more likely worse, celebrity coverage in this country.

OJs greatest stat is the per game rushing average for a season. In 73 he averaged over 143 yards per game, second place is Jim Brown in 63 at 133.1. He destroyed that record. That record will be hard to beat, especially with longer seasons.

That being said. he is a piece of crap human being.

i think the word you're looking for is "sociopath."

Wow, 5 parts is a lot.

Here's my guess how they break it down:

Part 1: Childhood through USC

Part 2: the NFL playing days (the only fun part!)

Part 3: Media darling and movie star

Part 4: Murder and Trial of the Century

Part 5: Life after the trial

i have wondered for awhile whether mental illness/CTE issues played a role in his meltdown during the 90s. it's not that hard to believe. i predict his autopsy will show concussion-related brain damage.

I don't think everyone with narcissistic/sociopathic tendencies acts out on the urge to kill an ex- who has moved on...but if you bake in some good old concussion-related mental instability...

it makes too much sense.

Wow, 5 parts is a lot.

Here's my guess how they break it down:

Part 1: Childhood through USC

Part 2: the NFL playing days (the only fun part!)

Part 3: Media darling and movie star

Part 4: Murder and Trial of the Century

Part 5: Life after the trial

Part 1: football stuff

Part 2: fake beard and $8000

Part 3: searching golf course for killer

Part 4: goofy-ass memorabilia robbery

Part 5: "they call me 'Daddy Juice'"

i have wondered for awhile whether mental illness/CTE issues played a role in his meltdown during the 90s. it's not that hard to believe. i predict his autopsy will show concussion-related brain damage.

I don't think everyone with narcissistic/sociopathic tendencies acts out on the urge to kill an ex- who has moved on...but if you bake in some good old concussion-related mental instability...

it makes too much sense.

He beat her all the time, so, no.

Good summary. I would only add that while it wasn't wholly true, most people that knew him and spent any time with him thought he was a really good and nice guy. There really were not a lot of stories around Buffalo or LA for the vast majority of his life about what a jerk he was. Just the opposite. Sure, in the last portion of his life Nicole's friends and family were scared of him and all that changed. But for the most part, he was thought of very fondly.

not so fondly by the Mulligans on Hertel crowd who saw him wasted on cocaine on numerous occasions back in the 70's.

not so fondly by the Mulligans on Hertel crowd who saw him wasted on cocaine on numerous occasions back in the 70's.

I was part of that very crowd. I worked in bars on Hertel in those days. I don't think hardly anyone there thought that was a bad guy or bad thing then. I suppose if you just oppose drug use you wouldn't think that was cool (I'm not condoning it) but he didn't seem like a jerk and the people at Mulligans including all of the owners and staff and patrons seem to have loved him.

the duke lacrosse one will be very interesting....have they done a penn state/sandusky one? that may be too much for regular cable

LA Grant -- that sounds about right.

Because his story is one of the most fascinating in US history.

Juvenile delinquent from the hood not only becomes one of the greatest and most celebrated athletes of the century, but transcends sports and into popular culture, is a pioneer in breaking down racial barriers, most dramatically with his national advertising campaigns as well as his TV/movie appearances. And just as he's moving into the prime of his post-athletic life he is charged with double murder and becomes the central figure in one of the most sensationalized and infamous criminal cases in history, forever changing the way Americans look at the criminal justice system and the 'Court TV' industry.

Hard to overstate the impact of OJ Simpson's life. I can't wait to watch it.

You left out the part about being another disappointment for the city of Buffalo.

it makes too much sense.

I can't decide if that makes the story better or worse but you're right, it would not be too surprising to discover that was a factor.

I think people sometimes forget just how popular OJ was at the time of the murders. He was all over TV as one of the biggest product endorsers at the time, in movies, on broadcasts, he was everywhere and adored by all. One of the biggest pop culture stories in history and really changed, for better or more likely worse, celebrity coverage in this country.

Agreed - I refused to believe that he was guilty throughout most of the trial.

• 3 weeks later...

O.J.: Made in America premiered in full at the Sundance Film Festival

The exhaustive seven-and-a-half hour documentary premiered in full at this week’s Sundance Film Festival, but won’t air on ESPN until June, when it will be shown in five two-hour parts (including commercial breaks). Made in America is the latest notch in the belt for the sports network’s 30 for 30 documentary series. Original devised as 30 documentaries to celebrate the cable channel’s 30th anniversary in 2009, 30 for 30 has since passed 60 docs, then 90, and now is chugging along, producing shorts, long-form docs, and even full series. 30 for 30 is ESPN’s most prestigious brand, and O.J.: Made in America is its most ambitious project to date.

@StillTalkinTV

A review of the first two parts of the "30 for 30" film on O.J. Simpson that premieres today at Sundance http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/22/espn-film-on-o-j-simpson-premiering-at-sundance/