Taintriots* want their 1st rounder back (update: told no)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way this whole thing is arrogant is why would Kraft think the NFL would do anything different when they just fought in the courts to uphold the Marsha suspension?

The league lost their case when it went to court. It is the league that is appealing the ruling. Judge Brewer decisively ruled that the process was flawed to the point of being corrupt and that the evidence was flimsy at best.

The Patriots deserve to retain their first round pick if the appeal's ruling doesn't come before the draft. If it rules against the Patriots after the draft then the pick should be taken in the next draft.

Will Roger Goodell alter his decision regarding the draft pick? No. Being stubborn and unwilling to admit a mistake is one reason among many why this corrupt and inept commissioner (on disciplinary issues) should not be involved in any disciplinary issues.

Pegula doesn't need to take a stand on this issue. What he needs to do is concentrate on his own struggling franchise. One of his first important decisions was to hire a HC. He ended up hiring a bombastic and bloviating coach who had a losing record and was recently fired from a team in his own division. He shouldn't be surprised that in the first year under this loquacious coach the team underachieved. When one makes such an absurd and peculiar hire as one of your first meaningful decisions one needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out how such a dumb decision was made in the first place.

The point is that Pegula needs to concentrate on making his team better and not worry about making excuses why another team in his division has been the most successful franchise in the league for the past generation.

The league lost their case when it went to court. It is the league that is appealing the ruling. Judge Brewer decisively ruled that the process was flawed to the point of being corrupt and that the evidence was flimsy at best.

The Patriots deserve to retain their first round pick if the appeal's ruling doesn't come before the draft. If it rules against the Patriots after the draft then the pick should be taken in the next draft.

Will Roger Goodell alter his decision regarding the draft pick? No. Being stubborn and unwilling to admit a mistake is one reason among many why this corrupt and inept commissioner (on disciplinary issues) should not be involved in any disciplinary issues.

Pegula doesn't need to take a stand on this issue. What he needs to do is concentrate on his own struggling franchise. One of his first important decisions was to hire a HC. He ended up hiring a bombastic and bloviating coach who had a losing record and was recently fired from a team in his own division. He shouldn't be surprised that in the first year under this loquacious coach the team underachieved. When one makes such an absurd and peculiar hire as one of your first meaningful decisions one needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out how such a dumb decision was made in the first place.

The point is that Pegula needs to concentrate on making his team better and not worry about making excuses why another team in his division has been the most successful franchise in the league for the past generation.

No. The case is court right now is related to Brady and only Brady. Krafts only interest in that case is whether his ugg wearing QB will be available for week one.

The pats* forfeited their right to appeal hoping Brady wouldn't be suspended. There is no reason to give back the pick, even if they botched the investigation. Kraft didnt appeal, and now writing a letter shouldnt get it back

I was honestly surprised that they had not asked for it back before now.

I agree that the Brady trial in no way found anyone innocent. It was all procedural based on things that happened in the Brady appeal. We were left a long ways from determining guilt or innocence. Giving the pick back would be a make the NFL look like fools.

Even though that is what Kraft is trying to do to through media. I guess I can see how after he listened to the Patriot fans all off season he could be confused about the facts.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Leave it to Robert Kraft to make this public as you would think out of respect to the league he would keep it private. It is especially galling given that the appeals hearing further confirmed that rules were not followed by employees of the organization.

The Cheats* have clearly owned the AFCE during Brady's reign. However I hope they continue to be exposed for their arrogant and dishonorable practices.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645993/article/robert-kraft-sent-letter-to-goodell-about-draft-pick

the court of public opini... err persuasion is more powerful

No. The case is court right now is related to Brady and only Brady. Krafts only interest in that case is whether his ugg wearing QB will be available for week one.

The pats* forfeited their right to appeal hoping Brady wouldn't be suspended. There is no reason to give back the pick, even if they botched the investigation. Kraft didnt appeal, and now writing a letter shouldnt get it back

It doesn't matter whether Kraft forfeited his right to appeal. You are being legalistic in a system that is far from adhering to legalities. Kraft certainly has good reasons to ask for the draft picks to be restored: Nothing was proved and the process was contaminated.

Kraft did volunteer to the punishment in order to put an end to the case that got out of hand from the league standpoint and presented the league with an opportunity to conclude the matter.

There is an issue of fairness. Why should Kraft or any other owner and franchise be penalized when nothing was proved other than the commissioner in his investigation of this trivial issue acted corruptly? The court reviewed the issue and forcefully rebuked the league for not only its flimsy evidence but also for the unethical manner it pursued this case.

The irony is that the side that acted corruptly goes without punishment and the side that was not proven to be guilty of anything loses draft picks. That is patently unfair.

I was honestly surprised that they had not asked for it back before now.

I agree that the Brady trial in no way found anyone innocent. It was all procedural based on things that happened in the Brady appeal. We were left a long ways from determining guilt or innocence. Giving the pick back would be a make the NFL look like fools.

Even though that is what Kraft is trying to do to through media. I guess I can see how after he listened to the Patriot fans all off season he could be confused about the facts.

That's the point! Nothing was determined/proven by the investigation.

It's not surprising when one acts like a fool one looks like a fool. Doing the right thing isn't always easy but doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

I agree. The discipline meted out to the team was completely separate from the Brady issue. Further more, Kraft agreed to the punishment imposed. Now he wants to renege on that agreement.

GO BILLS!!!

I would relate this to capital equipment negotiations I get involved with in large hospital networks. Kraft dropped it by offering to give up the pick. It has no bearing afterwards the results. He gambled to get something back and lost. There were no written promises of dropping the Brady issue.

That's it and that is business. If he didn't want to lose the pick, he shouldn't have offered up the fine and pick.

He blinked and lost. This court hearing doesn't matter. This is about Brady and that's it. Kraft has zero leverage, and if the NFL ever actually gave it back, they would admit guilt, that happens zero % of the time in business negotiations.

John, you may have a point the NFL didn't prove it, but it doesn't matter. I do understand where your coming from in an ethical position, and respect you for siding on what is right. I don't know. Honestly, I'm sick of it and this is just posturing to keep the NFL power the way it is to not set precedent. It has nothing to do with the inflation of the footballs at this point.

The irony is that the side that acted corruptly goes without punishment and the side that was not proven to be guilty of anything loses draft picks. That is patently unfair.

That's the point! Nothing was determined/proven by the investigation.

It's not surprising when one acts like a fool one looks like a fool. Doing the right thing isn't always easy but doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

Just stop. A Patriots employee stole game balls. That only a draft pick was forfeited is a blessing for the Patriots.

you're the legalistic one here

kj

The truth about how great this organization is will truly be exposed when Brady is done.

Let's be honest they drafted a 6th round QB who turned out to be perhaps the best ever. They deserve credit for pulling the trigger on the pick and developing him. But, and the biggest but of all... there is one hell of ALOT of luck, good fortune, whatever you want to call it in having that workout!

We don't know, they don't know, know one knows. Can the success be replicated by the organization post Brady? Or, is it more likely they are an organization that is 9-7/10-6 sometimes worse...sometimes better and the playoffs. But, all the Super Bowls...Hell no way.

When the type of success they have had occurs; there are alot of experts and egos bred. I'm not saying Belichick and the others are bad, they are likely good, but not to the entitled, arrogant level they have come to believe. One extraordinary stroke of good forutune should not be construed or credited as genius created.

Edited by The Thurmanator

I agree. The discipline meted out to the team was completely separate from the Brady issue. Further more, Kraft agreed to the punishment imposed. Now he wants to renege on that agreement.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean...he wants to...CHEAT????

The hell you say.

...if any new facts came up he would take them into consideration. I personally believe that when the league made their decision they did not factor in the ideal gas law.

You mean PV=nRT? That's from 1834. How is that a "new fact"?

Edited by Saint Doug

I would relate this to capital equipment negotiations I get involved with in large hospital networks. Kraft dropped it by offering to give up the pick. It has no bearing afterwards the results. He gambled to get something back and lost. There were no written promises of dropping the Brady issue.

That's it and that is business. If he didn't want to lose the pick, he shouldn't have offered up the fine and pick.

He blinked and lost. This court hearing doesn't matter. This is about Brady and that's it. Kraft has zero leverage, and if the NFL ever actually gave it back, they would admit guilt, that happens zero % of the time in business negotiations.

John, you may have a point the NFL didn't prove it, but it doesn't matter. I do understand where your coming from in an ethical position, and respect you for siding on what is right. I don't know. Honestly, I'm sick of it and this is just posturing to keep the NFL power the way it is to not set precedent. It has nothing to do with the inflation of the footballs at this point.

I'm well aware that the league is not giving back the picks. That's obvious. My point was that they should give back the picks because that is the right thing to do.

Is Kraft posturing? Of course he is. He's playing to his fan base by tweaking Goodell and the league. In the end the league not only didn't prove its case it also demonstrated that their disciplinary system was flawed to the point of being corrupt. The bottom line is that when an outside authority examined the facts and the process it exposed how tainted the commissioner and the process were. What you are required to do and what you should do are the issues that I am addressing.

John- thank you for the thoughtful reply. I tried to acknowledge that in you're right if a person agrees they were wrong, that is the ethical thing to do. I'm not 100% convinced that is accurate but understand again the position.

My point was simply based on previous statements is not how a large business would operate whether anyone thinks it is right or wrong. It's simply how things work.

It really doesn't matter as it will just be more posturing to protect power, and Kraft will never get his pick back. You were right on the money he is trying to turn the narrative from the Cheatriots, to the Big Bad NFL.

Thanks for sharing bud.