Why don't the Pegulas take advantage of the NFL Luxury Tax?

Keep the blinders on all you want, but if we dont figure out an alternative to a hard cap or learn to stay under it, we may not have a team this year.

But keep drinkin' the NFL koolaid, and then throw your vote away on Rand Paul.

What are you talking about?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see so many teams signing their best players year after year (you telling me Bob Kraft isn't paying some luxury tax to the NFL for signing Brady to another extension)...what about the Steelers (Big Ben, L. Bell, WR's etc), the Broncos (with Manning, Von Miller, D. Thomas). The list goes on and on of teams that are paying a luxury tax because they go over the salary cap. The article I read awhile ago said the owners approved a bastardized version of the NBA and MLB luxury tax, so why not go ahead and spend money on our good players to retain them and to attract bigger stars.

The rule is in place for a reason...pay a little tax if you go over the cap and, in exchange, you get good players.

It's a pride thing. He doesn't want to be seen as a billionaire who is asking for a handout.

Keep the blinders on all you want, but if we dont figure out an alternative to a hard cap or learn to stay under it, we may not have a team this year.

But keep drinkin' the NFL koolaid, and then throw your vote away on Rand Paul.

I feel like we are in an alternative universe. What the heck are you talking about?

We've never been over the cap...ever

I feel like we are in an alternative universe. What the heck are you talking about?

We've never been over the cap...ever

Like referenced above by someone, Pegula is a millionaire and doesn't want to appear pushy or overbearing. So assuming he does have the extra 27 million that the league allows, he can trickle it into players with pool tables, gourmet lunches in the cafeteria and Evian waters instead of Mayer Brothers or Wegmans. See, those are just small examples of how he can re-work the cap without technically violating the 155 cap and the 27 million soft luxury use tax.

Another option: put more starters on the practice squad. They don't count toward the cap so we could stockpile players on the practice squad and when we need them, deliver a few backpacks of cash and call them up. No cap money to report and they don't get injured as often.

Like referenced above by someone, Pegula is a millionaire and doesn't want to appear pushy or overbearing. So assuming he does have the extra 27 million that the league allows, he can trickle it into players with pool tables, gourmet lunches in the cafeteria and Evian waters instead of Mayer Brothers or Wegmans. See, those are just small examples of how he can re-work the cap without technically violating the 155 cap and the 27 million soft luxury use tax.

Another option: put more starters on the practice squad. They don't count toward the cap so we could stockpile players on the practice squad and when we need them, deliver a few backpacks of cash and call them up. No cap money to report and they don't get injured as often.

Ok, I know sometimes I'm a little slow. It's hard to tell in print as opposed to face to face what someone really means. It's obvious this whole thread was one big joke to see how long this irrational discussion could go on. Well done. For a little while, I just thought you were a total moron. You played us all.

I see so many teams signing their best players year after year (you telling me Bob Kraft isn't paying some luxury tax to the NFL for signing Brady to another extension)...what about the Steelers (Big Ben, L. Bell, WR's etc), the Broncos (with Manning, Von Miller, D. Thomas). The list goes on and on of teams that are paying a luxury tax because they go over the salary cap. The article I read awhile ago said the owners approved a bastardized version of the NBA and MLB luxury tax, so why not go ahead and spend money on our good players to retain them and to attract bigger stars.

The rule is in place for a reason...pay a little tax if you go over the cap and, in exchange, you get good players.

+10,000 posts = sarcasm

This line gives the game away.... well done BBF. I think a lot of us fell for it.

BBF is just joking, but I wonder about Brady's pay

In 2016 Brady is #20 on the list of highest paid QBs ?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

What prevents teams from going over the Salary Cap?
The short answer is that teams can’t because the league approves all contracts and would not approve a contract that would result in a team going over the Cap.
There have been a couple of instances where teams were discovered to have agreed to payments to players that circumvented the Salary Cap. The Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers were penalized draft picks and fined for agreeing to undisclosed, non-contract payments to players.
Edited by ALF

I thought this was a link to that epic thread! Do me a favor could you find that link for me and post it?

Let me get this straight. You're asking me to do your homework in finding the "Do your own homework, Sue" thread?

I actually support Fergy's idea 100%. Not to mention in two years when the team moves to Hamilton (at this point, its not an if but a when. See: Population Stipulation.), That tax will be 60¢ on the dollar with the way the Looney is right now.

OK, let's suppose Pegula does, in fact, have to move the Bills to Hamilton, ONT (because the Sabres have been in place longer in Buffalo and have a smaller seating capacity in their arena), would Pegula be granted a higher soft luxury use tax by the NFL because of the driving distance from Buffalo to Hamilton (i.e. gas mileage, tolls, traffic delays, time, etc. for players, trainers and coaches)? It's gonna become a real mess in three years. The only bright spot is the fact that Pegula can exceed the cap if (and when) they make the move.

OK, let's suppose Pegula does, in fact, have to move the Bills to Hamilton, ONT (because the Sabres have been in place longer in Buffalo and have a smaller seating capacity in their arena), would Pegula be granted a higher soft luxury use tax by the NFL because of the driving distance from Buffalo to Hamilton (i.e. gas mileage, tolls, traffic delays, time, etc. for players, trainers and coaches)? It's gonna become a real mess in three years. The only bright spot is the fact that Pegula can exceed the cap if (and when) they make the move.

As long as they sign the contract IN Canada, the NFL has no legal grounds to enforce the salary cap. Why do you think Doug Whaley's extension was signed on his boat. They took it 15 miles offshore, out of US territory, before they signed it. They were "testing the waters" so to speak (no pun intended) of this useful loophole.