Mario Williams released

GMs and coaches from other teams will "sight" film and yell "bull ****!"

And still get paid big money. Who has gotten big sack numbers in a Rex system? Premium positions get premium pay days.

Puhleeze. Schobel amassed 78 sacks in 9 seasons, 2nd all time. Hanson had 61.5 sacks, 3rd All-time. Phil likely had more upfield tackles chasing plays than Bruce and Mario combined -Always going snap to whistle -full out! Mario will have played for 3 teams in the same time frame with a collage of peak & valley seasons, depending how he 'felt'. His 1st 2 teams having let him go.

If you think Schobel and Hansen had a better 3 year run as a Bill than Mario, more power to you. But you would be wrong. :) Edited by C.Biscuit97

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the logical move based on our financial situation, what he did last year, and the situation was untenable. Mario did get this knock of pouting in Houston as well.

I don't know, but we needed his salary and he proved he was not indispensable last year. If he really wanted to fulfill his contract, he would have embraced Rex's system, and had 15 sacks. He didn't. This doesn't mean I'm a Rex fan as i see him gone in a year.

I wonder where he will end up. You would think Jax or maybe Tampa.

i am betting Cards or giants. Tampa and Jax have been popular picks though. atlanta too

Notwithstanding a franchise QB, most teams go through this every season. Most teams can only afford to keep two to three superstars, maybe 4 if you have a cheap QB like we do, at least for now. You all act like this is only endemic of the Bills organization.. LOL

Tim-

This is a massive distortion of history.

Houston couldn't tag him because it would've mandated a minimum 20% increase over his $22M compensation from the previous year; he wasn't "let go". He wanted to test the market and they couldn't tag him for $26M.

There were indeed other bidders. He was scheduled to visit Tennessee (and Atlanta after that), but Buffalo put the full-court press on and signed him before he got there. It was never an issue of money--he was going to get the richest deal for a defensive player ever regardless of where he signed.

It was a coup. Do you not remember the astonishment throughout the media that Buffalo landed the most prized FA on the market?

"It was never an issue of money"...and MY thread was a massive distortion?

I was ALL about money. None of theose teams were going to make Mario the highest paid defender ever--if he even thought that might be true, he would have visited all of them.

No, he knew Houston let him walk after missing 14 games over the previous 2 seasons (and the Texans hardly missed him) and the fact that they were flush with pass rushers and there was no way they were going to shell out tons of money on Mario.

As soon as Buddy told Mario they would make him the highest paid, I'm sure he and his agent just looked at each other in disbelief and said "uh...OK!!"

I was ALL about money. None of theose teams were going to make Mario the highest paid defender ever--if he even thought that might be true, he would have visited all of them.

No, he knew Houston let him walk after missing 14 games over the previous 2 seasons (and the Texans hardly missed him) and the fact that they were flush with pass rushers and there was no way they were going to shell out tons of money on Mario.

As soon as Buddy told Mario they would make him the highest paid, I'm sure he and his agent just looked at each other in disbelief and said "uh...OK!!"

That was not what you said before. You said ' there were no other bidders' which was a half truth. There were clearly other suitors for his services but the Bills didnt give them a chance to put in their bid. Which is NOT equivalent to having no bidders.

Is what I think after every one of your pro Rex crusade posts.

It truly is a never ending, ugly, boring onslaught.

Oh, but the "Cuz. Wrex. Sucks." storyline is so enlightening, introspective, and thought-provoking.

If any of you knuckleheads learned the term "moderation" it would be a revelation.

That was not what you said before. You said ' there were no other bidders' which was a half truth. There were clearly other suitors for his services but the Bills didnt give them a chance to put in their bid. Which is NOT equivalent to having no bidders.

When you offer way above market price, there are no other bids. The seller knows this or he would have entertained other bids. His agent is a clever man I assume. If he thought better bids were out there, he would have started a bidding war. He knew there were none.

Of course he wanted money. The point is quite simple: many, many different folks around the league had Mario pegged for $16M/year AAV and $50M guaranteed.

Guess what he got?

He was going to get it; here or elsewhere.

They didn't let him go because they were "flush with pass rushers" (they had Connor Barwin and then a platoon that filled in for Mario once he got hurt). They let him go because they signed Arian Foster to a monster deal and didn't have cap room to fit Williams' contract under the then-$120M salary cap.

I have no idea why you're pretending that Buffalo magically skewed the pay scale for Mario. If they hadn't met his demands of money, playing LDE in a 4-3, having a fridge in his locker, etc. etc., he'd have gone on his next visit to Tennessee. Then Atlanta. Then Chicago. He would've gotten his deal because he was the best defensive FA to hit the market in a half decade or more.

It's the same situation as Ndamukong Suh last year. He was going to get $60M guaranteed from somebody...he got to choose his suitor.

Of course he wanted money. The point is quite simple: many, many different folks around the league had Mario pegged for $16M/year AAV and $50M guaranteed.

Guess what he got?

He was going to get it; here or elsewhere.

They didn't let him go because they were "flush with pass rushers" (they had Connor Barwin and then a platoon that filled in for Mario once he got hurt). They let him go because they signed Arian Foster to a monster deal and didn't have cap room to fit Williams' contract under the then-$120M salary cap.

I have no idea why you're pretending that Buffalo magically skewed the pay scale for Mario. If they hadn't met his demands of money, playing LDE in a 4-3, having a fridge in his locker, etc. etc., he'd have gone on his next visit to Tennessee. Then Atlanta. Then Chicago. He would've gotten his deal because he was the best defensive FA to hit the market in a half decade or more.

It's the same situation as Ndamukong Suh last year. He was going to get $60M guaranteed from somebody...he got to choose his suitor.

As usual Bandit - you nailed it.