Mario Williams released

You could see it coming. Mario had a huge cap number to go along with a lack of love for the team (He probably wasn't willing to restructure the deal the way the Bills needed him to) and a drastic lack of production last season. With the Bills huge amounts of guaranteed money paid out this year they needed to work out some cap space and Mario's huge contract simply wasn't tenable. It's better to move on and draft or sign a replacement rather and use the cap space elsewhere. Mario was subpar his first year here clearly recovering from a rash of injuries, he then turned in two seasons where he was a stud along the defensive line and one of the best pass rushers (Who happened to be good against the run) in the league. But last year he just seemed out of it, either not feeling being in Buffalo or not feeling the scheme, or simply being done mentally.

I predict he signs a fairly big short term deal with a team and has a couple of more productive seasons. But his time here was just done. It works best for both parties to move on. Change of scheme and scenery will be better for Mario, The cap space and getting rid of a player mentally done with the situation will be good for the Bills.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could see it coming. Mario had a huge cap number to go along with a lack of love for the team (He probably wasn't willing to restructure the deal the way the Bills needed him to) and a drastic lack of production last season. With the Bills huge amounts of guaranteed money paid out this year they needed to work out some cap space and Mario's huge contract simply wasn't tenable. It's better to move on and draft or sign a replacement rather and use the cap space elsewhere. Mario was subpar his first year here clearly recovering from a rash of injuries, he then turned in two seasons where he was a stud along the defensive line and one of the best pass rushers (Who happened to be good against the run) in the league. But last year he just seemed out of it, either not feeling being in Buffalo or not feeling the scheme, or simply being done mentally.

I predict he signs a fairly big short term deal with a team and has a couple of more productive seasons. But his time here was just done. It works best for both parties to move on. Change of scheme and scenery will be better for Mario, The cap space and getting rid of a player mentally done with the situation will be good for the Bills.

If the Bills win and make the playoffs then it's a good situation, if the defense struggles again then it's a disaster. In Whaley we trust.

Cheerio Mario. I for one loved having you on this team for the first three years.

People will try and re-write history.... so let me re-post what I have posted elsewhere.... In the 2012-14 period, Mario's first 3 years in Buffalo the list of players with more sacks in the NFL is:

JJ Watt

Justin Houston

That's it.

The second half of last year he let himself down (watch the tape he was trying until the Jacksonville game he quit after that), but he was a damn good player for the Buffalo Bills. We will go a long way to find a better one.

Excellent post. He was arguably the second best all around DE in the NFL for the two years prior to Rex. He is arguably our best free agent signing ever. He is a huge reason why Jerry Hughes and Dareus developed into the players they are. He is also arguably the second best DE in team history.

We are not a better team today. But Mario didn't excel in a defense where almost every player got worse. Best of luck to him and he was a major part of one of the best Bills' defense I have ever seen. It's going to suck to watch him be a really good player on a team that doesn't force a crappy pass rush system on him.

Man..... first Marquise Gray, then Dixon, then Urbik...and now Mario?

Doomed if we can't replace irreplaceable players...

I know. it horrendous. luckily they have a plan.

They just cannot tell us yet.

good post!

Title reads: Mario WIlliams released

There is no period so its a game right? Was it a deuce? stress? a fish? the hounds? What da phock did he release. Finish the sentence already

Edited by fredex22

Has Mario tweeted his appreciation for the fans yet?

GO BILLS!!!

Haha don't hold your breath. While my brother was in the military I worked in Jacksonville NC which is next door to the Richlands where Mario played high school football. No one had anything good to say about him. "Richlands" is hardly what it sounds like but it is a tight knit Bible Belt community and being from Boston I could respect that. He never gave back to school or visited it or the kids, according to the locals he would drive in from Raleigh as not to be bothered landing at the local airport to see his mother who still lived there. I left NC in 2013 but having that conversation with a 60 year old black man whom was a respected figure always left a doubt in my mind about Mario's personality.

To each his own, but that is just how Mario is. He is all about Mario. Not you. Not me. Not his "family" that he will so easily quit on. Ignore the recent comments from him and his agent it's all posturing for his next deal.

Rex was using him as a cornerback so no big loss

He was absolutely being used as a QB and Carpenter was being used as Center and Marcell as a kicker. Now go back to playing your hacked video game.

...and they haven't even started restructuring contracts. Good cap position to be in.

Already done with Clay.

@JeremyWGR

Boobie Dixon getting the heros exit while Marios is being celebrated. How you treat the media makes a huge difference (to the media).

You can take that as a positive, or a problem. I'll leave that to you. No debate that Marios contributions dwarf Dixons.

Yes including no debate that Mario's contribution from Bills dwarfs Dixon's but game contribution / paid contribution is important too!

Title reads: Mario WIlliams released

There is no period so its a game right? Was it a deuce? stress? a fish? the hounds? What da phock did he release. Finish the sentence already

The kracken.

He never really tweets. And while it's a nice gesture, does he really need to? I'd say his play was certainly worth it until this year.

I agree he was a great player until this past season. And no, he doesn't really need to do anything in the way of showing appreciation. Neither did Boobie, Grey, or Urbik but they found the time to do it. I just noticed the contrast.

GO BILLS!!!

Fans really need their butts kissed all the time. Should he thank the fans that rag on him all the time and are glad to see him go?

He doesn't need to kiss any fan's ass. I just thought it was an interesting contrast to Dixon, Gray, and Urbik who all found time to salute the fans upon learning of their release.

GO BILLS!!!