Best bands you've never heard of...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey KD... I finally Googled this gem:

Wiki:

"Even with the changes in format, rocker Ted Nugent used Muzak as an icon of everything "uncool" about music. In 1986, he publicly made a $10 million bid to purchase the company with the stated intent of shutting it down. His bid was refused.[13]"

I never knew! LMAO!

Anyway... Can I throw BoDeans into this thread's hat or are they too well known?

??? I having a hard time trying to fathom & wrapping my tiny brain around this. Maybe I am just getting old.

They were a super group of the 1970's and into the '80s. Who hasn't at least heard of Supertramp.

It would be like saying my son never heard Bing Crosby or who he is. I know Supertramp was before many a Millenial's time, but the group just too monolithic to make this list. For crying out loud, their instrumental versions of their songs are played in the grocery store (supermarket if you will... :nana: ).

pretty much thought the same thing when I saw Supertramp mentioned.

Wiki:

"Even with the changes in format, rocker Ted Nugent used Muzak as an icon of everything "uncool" about music. In 1986, he publicly made a $10 million bid to purchase the company with the stated intent of shutting it down. His bid was refused.[13]"

I never knew! LMAO!

Anyway... Can I throw BoDeans into this thread's hat or are they too well known?

Funny story. I did freelance work for the company that swallowed Muzak. Mainly in-store messages, not very sexy stuff. Anyway, there is no more "Muzak" as in elevator music anymore. In fact most background music companies have some very hip playlists these days. And it's not just music anymore...it's smells! (I kid you not.) Walk into any Abercrombe & Fitch store, or any hip retailer, and note the perfumed scent in the air. Background scents are now just as much a part of the background as music is. That is what Muzak has morphed into. Ted actually missed out on something that has become insanely profitable.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Wiki:

I never knew! LMAO!

Ah, good call! I love Royal Trux.

I was always surprised that more people don't like the Silver Jews.

Thanks, but I actually don't like Malkmus's bands at all. He falls into that category of artists/bands that I would read about, and expect to be right up my alley, but do nothing for me (or actually grate). The Replacements, REM, Big Star, Pavement...I don't like any of them, or find them mediocre.

RTX, though plenty misses the mark (they are so radically experimental, I can't see anyone actually enjoying their entire canon...even the band members themselves), suit me fine. When it works, it's glorious.

Thanks, but I actually don't like Malkmus's bands at all. He falls into that category of artists/bands that I would read about, and expect to be right up my alley, but do nothing for me (or actually grate). The Replacements, REM, Big Star, Pavement...I don't like any of them, or find them mediocre.

RTX, though plenty misses the mark (they are so radically experimental, I can't see anyone actually enjoying their entire canon...even the band members themselves), suit me fine. When it works, it's glorious.

Malkmus appears on some of the Silver Jews stuff, but not much overall. It's David Berman who is the brains behind Silver Jews. Although if you don't like the bands you listed, you probably wouldn't like Silver Jews either.

By the way, Pavement is one of my favorite bands of all time.

And yes, some of the Royal Trux stuff is clearly meant to scare people away, for example the entire Twin Infinitives album.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Funny story. I did freelance work for the company that swallowed Muzak. Mainly in-store messages, not very sexy stuff. Anyway, there is no more "Muzak" as in elevator music anymore. In fact most background music companies have some very hip playlists these days. And it's not just music anymore...it's smells! (I kid you not.) Walk into any Abercrombe & Fitch store, or any hip retailer, and note the perfumed scent in the air. Background scents are now just as much a part of the background as music is. That is what Muzak has morphed into. Ted actually missed out on something that has become insanely profitable.

The office I work in is located inside a conference center/hotel....I don't think a week day has gone by in over a year where I haven't heard a "muzak" version of "Start Me Up"...

Wiki:

I never knew! LMAO!

The irony!

I vote for The Damnations, Those Darlins, Detroit Cobras and the Delines