Best bands you've never heard of...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tal Wilkenfeld - she's the bassist for Jeff Beck's band, a "prodigy", I knew she was incredible, just based on reputation, unbeknownst to me, she was the opener for The Who last night(and on the entire tour), she is amazing...oh and she's very cute

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

saw a whole slew of bands this weekend that fly under the radar but shouldn't, among my favorites of the 30+ that were at my festiva l(http://xpnfest.org/lineup/)

Ryan Adams, probably not unknown, but certainly not as known as he should be

Femi Kudi - legendary Afro-bear performer Fela Kudi(seriously, check them out)

David Wax Museum

OJR(Oliver John-Roberts), the Acid Cowboy

The Districts

Edited by The Poojer

Rory Gallagher

Iron City Houserockers

Rory left this planet way too early. Once when Jimi Hendrix was asked " what's it like to be the besst guitarist in the world?"

His reply was " I wouldn't know you would have to ask Rory Gallagher". Rory was a true bluesman and his often introduced "interpretations" of blues standards were sometimes better than the original recordings. RIP

This is the best musician not band. Jaco Pastorius. I knew of him many years go when I was a big fusion fan and loved Weather Report. I had forgotten about him until recently. I've been on a Netflix music documentary kick recently and I came across his. I had no idea he played on many Joni Mitchell songs until I re-listened to them. His sound is so unique it's hard to miss. I also didn't know he was murdered. Sad way to go but at least it freed him, and his family, from his demons. I suggest, if you're a music fan, you watch it. It's just called Jaco. Here's Birdland by WR. I have that song memorized and wore out the needle on my record player listening to it. I wasn't even thinking that if it weren't for his bass playing this song wouldn't exist.

Joni was writing this song and no one could get the bass line she wanted. She heard him once and said "get him!"

Edited by Chef Jim

jaco was amazing, he's pretty legendary around the philly area

This is the best musician not band. Jaco Pastorius. I knew of him many years go when I was a big fusion fan and loved Weather Report. I had forgotten about him until recently. I've been on a Netflix music documentary kick recently and I came across his. I had no idea he played on many Joni Mitchell songs until I re-listened to them. His sound is so unique it's hard to miss. I also didn't know he was murdered. Sad way to go but at least it freed him, and his family, from his demons. I suggest, if you're a music fan, you watch it. It's just called Jaco. Here's Birdland by WR. I have that song memorized and wore out the needle on my record player listening to it. I wasn't even thinking that if it weren't for his bass playing this song wouldn't exist.

Joni was writing this song and no one could get the bass line she wanted. She heard him once and said "get him!"