Best bands you've never heard of...

jaco was amazing, he's pretty legendary around the philly area

The harmonics he played, especially in the intro to Birdland, were so different I had no idea it was coming from a bass.

He was Jazz Meets Punk.

Edited by Chef Jim

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best musician not band. Jaco Pastorius. I knew of him many years go when I was a big fusion fan and loved Weather Report. I had forgotten about him until recently. I've been on a Netflix music documentary kick recently and I came across his. I had no idea he played on many Joni Mitchell songs until I re-listened to them. His sound is so unique it's hard to miss. I also didn't know he was murdered. Sad way to go but at least it freed him, and his family, from his demons. I suggest, if you're a music fan, you watch it. It's just called Jaco. Here's Birdland by WR. I have that song memorized and wore out the needle on my record player listening to it. I wasn't even thinking that if it weren't for his bass playing this song wouldn't exist.

Joni was writing this song and no one could get the bass line she wanted. She heard him once and said "get him!"

As good as the netflix doc is it still doesn't do the guy musical contributions justice. before he decided to become homeless, he was living on different people's couches in Marin county. he for awhile would play Wednesday nights in Tiburon at a place called the cove. very small unannounced gigs usually jamming with nobody's. Maybe 50 people tops in the audience. These shows were epic with him doing everythng from the Beatles. WR to his own version of happy birthday. easy guy to like and BS with.

he would while totally drunk play better than well most bass can play at all. Also saw him 86ed at the Stone in SF for being a jerk. Literally knocking the drummers kit over. Sad ending for a friggin genius on the Bass. HIs Joni stuff is legendary. HIs first solo album pre weather report is still one of the best albums and a clinic on how to play a bass.

• 2 weeks later...

This past April I was celebrating Passover with my family. I wanted to cue up some passover music, so I went to youtube and typed in "passover". Discovered this band and we now have a new Passover tradition!

https://youtu.be/iz1nq1hmVCE?t=17m42s

EDIT: The band is called The Black Angels, and they rock!

Edited by dickleyjones

This past April I was celebrating Passover with my family. I wanted to cue up some passover music, so I went to youtube and typed in "passover". Discovered this band and we now have a new Passover tradition!

Thanks for this

Newer:

Ghost........best introductory track......Pinnacle to the Pit

late 80's/early 90's:

Warlock Pinchers.........track.......Straight out the Dancehall

The Mummies........track.......Stronger than Dirt

The Mummies are playing NYC on October 17 and I'll be there. Edited by dave mcbride

Newer:

Ghost........best introductory track......Pinnacle to the Pit

late 80's/early 90's:

Warlock Pinchers.........track.......Straight out the Dancehall

The Mummies........track.......Stronger than Dirt

Ghost is pretty good.

Another band, also newer and within that genre is Volbeat. I've liked what I've heard from them. A little Wolfmother and little Cult a little System of a Down. Good rock.

The Mummies are playing NYC on October 17 and I'll be there.

They don't seem to play a lot of shows. At least when I check their website they don't. Have they ever played NYC? Wish I could get to that one but will be in Orlando for work. That may be the very opposite of watching The Mummies play.

Ghost is pretty good.

Another band, also newer and within that genre is Volbeat. I've liked what I've heard from them. A little Wolfmother and little Cult a little System of a Down. Good rock.

I like what I've heard from Volbeat on Siriux/XM. Ghost has some very funny youtube mockumentary stuff. Pinnacle to the Pit was a big turning point....they kinda' nailed that heavy/creepy/pop combo on that tune. I think their next album may be a big crossover hit. I hope they don't ever reveal their names or faces though. The Mummies kinda' took away from their mystique revealing their names after decades of anonymity. It's funny that the bass player for Ghost is one of the best in the world and he is just listed as Ghoul #3 or whatever. There is no "I" in Ghost.

Give me a good volbeat album to start with, if you would...Need some music today.

Wow, they have 6 albums going back to 2005. I had no idea.

I have only heard a couple songs and they're off of the new album, so I'm not much help.