2-25: Doug Whaley Spoke to the Media at the Combine

26CornerBlitz

@JoeBuscaglia

Lost in all the Cordy, Richie, Clay, Tyrod, and McCoy news today... Whaley essentially gave Robert Woods a vote of confidence today. #Bills

i spent some part of last year pissed off at Robert till i read of the groin injury he played through. Boy deserves respect for his solid effort and team mentality

If Miller is there in the 2nd I believe they would pick him quick, fast and in a hurry. But I like Woods a lot. I think more consistency at QB and health will allow him to show better. He's a tough dude, does what he's asked and doesn't really complain. And he runs good routes, makes tough catches. Taylor being the unquestioned starter should be good for him and all the WR/TE. They'll have the majority of reps together.

good post!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is huge imo. Either him or someone like him on the field with Sanmy, Clay and McCoy makes the offense unstoppable.

I just can't remember anything that dissuades me from thinking Woods is the 4th or 5th best on the roster when talking deep outside threat, which is a cornerstone of Tyrods game.

We know it's all Goodwin has, Sammy does everything well, Harvin is proven deep ball guy, hogan was even effective at times.

I see woods as less stout but more edgy josh reed type. Problem is blocking beats up the small guys and the middle of the field stuff wasnt materializing and may not, in Romans offense.

I like him, just think far better fits are out there.

I agree with everyone Bills need another threat out there. But I also think Robert certainly has a role to play. And he is sneaky fast. If you forget about him he gets over on players.

I do not think he and TT ever got a rhythm going to be fair

Woods is more of a deep threat than Hogan. By a lot.

Interesting conclusion. We only have one year with Tyrod/Roman to judge the assertion, or at least in the context I was referring, but the numbers arent even close to supporting your statement, nor are combine results nor the on field performance. The injury story is a wash too as they both were banged up.

So I'm quite interested to hear the missing pieces to substantiate woods as a deep threat in this offense, with this QB or maybe any other for that matter.

@JoeBuscaglia

Lost in all the Cordy, Richie, Clay, Tyrod, and McCoy news today... Whaley essentially gave Robert Woods a vote of confidence today. #Bills

whats he supposed to say, that he cant be a #2 and WR is a big need?

hes giving stock "we like our guys and will continue to bring in talent when and where available but we like our guys" answers.

Interesting conclusion. We only have one year with Tyrod/Roman to judge the assertion, or at least in the context I was referring, but the numbers arent even close to supporting your statement, nor are combine results nor the on field performance. The injury story is a wash too as they both were banged up.

So I'm quite interested to hear the missing pieces to substantiate woods as a deep threat in this offense, with this QB or maybe any other for that matter.

id venture in a head to head that its something along the lines of better route running, and better ball skills, probably. hes a more polished receiver.

its also always tough discussing hogan, as his measurables dont seem to match his on field play. on paper hogan should be a deep threat, break a lot of tackles, etc... but we havent seen a lot of it show up.

whats he supposed to say, that he cant be a #2 and WR is a big need?

hes giving stock "we like our guys and will continue to bring in talent when and where available but we like our guys" answers.

id venture in a head to head that its something along the lines of better route running, and better ball skills, probably. hes a more polished receiver.

its also always tough discussing hogan, as his measurables dont seem to match his on field play. on paper hogan should be a deep threat, break a lot of tackles, etc... but we havent seen a lot of it show up.

both Hogan and Woods had good to vg speed at the combine. And Robert was always touted as the most polished route runner coming out of College.

Hard to tell their value with TT the first year for lack of preseason camp reps last year.

hell he hardly through to Watkins !!

I'm glad to hear from you guys Woods had a recurring groin issue. I was perplexed how a solid WR who is a good route runner regressed so much as he was ineffective last year. I still wish we could get at some round in the draft a bigger posession WR.

I trust Hardy won't draft a Hardy just because he was 6'5" and dumber than a box of rocks. Makes you wonder if his wonderlic score was a 4.

Lastly, I see with a full off season and more time to gel with his WR/TE, we'll see progress from TT. Roman has to start trusting him and letting him throw those quick passes over the middle.

Dezmin Lewis is still on the PS....will be interesting to see if he shows progression

I think they have a couple guys they like in the stable, Dez being one of them.

But I sure as heck don't mind them drafting one, Bills were so thin by the tail end of last year!

I'm glad to hear from you guys Woods had a recurring groin issue. I was perplexed how a solid WR who is a good route runner regressed so much as he was ineffective last year. I still wish we could get at some round in the draft a bigger posession WR.

I trust Hardy won't draft a Hardy just because he was 6'5" and dumber than a box of rocks. Makes you wonder if his wonderlic score was a 4.

Lastly, I see with a full off season and more time to gel with his WR/TE, we'll see progress from TT. Roman has to start trusting him and letting him throw those quick passes over the middle.

I am in the camp , that the passing game is going to open up just enough to improve the run game from a playcalling standpoint.

From a TT standpoint and his relationship with his pass catchers i expect a leap. such as Clay and Woods and the RBs all 3.

Whoops Whaley won't draft a Hardy. Sorry for the error.

I agree with you 3rd and 12. The big ? is with Rexxy going all in on his defense, and Rob, and Ed Reed coming in, will it actually work this year? I guess it depends a great deal on if we replenish in the draft people perfect for Rex's scheme, and the ones left buy in 100% and stop fighting it.

We have three seasons with Woods, the only season you're basing him on he was playing with a torn groin. In the two seasons prior he demonstrated more ability than Hogan to not only run every kind of route, but to beat teams deep. Not sure if you've tried running with an injury like the one he played through this year, but it's sure to sap your speed. Hogan had a bum wrist -- that's an apples to orange comparison of injuries, not a wash in my mind.

Woods can beat one on one coverage deep. Hogan, who I don't love admittedly, can beat blown coverage. There's a difference.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000252065/Woods-42-yard-TD-reception

@TyDunne

Doug Whaley: "When you look at our team, you could make the argument that we could draft any position."

Takeway: Subterfuge ain't Dougie's strong suit. Everyone in the league and their wives know Buffalo needs front 7 pieces for Rex's defense. And their GM isn't high on the QB...not yet at least.

Doug Whaley: "We've made some very good choices when building this team."

Translation: My job is on the line this year and if this ship starts sinking (because of Rex) then I'm getting my lifeboat ready now.

Takeway: Subterfuge ain't Dougie's strong suit. Everyone in the league and their wives know Buffalo needs front 7 pieces for Rex's defense. And their GM isn't high on the QB...not yet at least.

You're really quite enamored with this line of thinking...you brought it up in the Tyrod thread also. Do you really think 31 other teams are worrying themselves about what the team who hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years is doing?

Just catching up with this thread and TBD in general. But, this PC by Whaley has me confused. He says the Bills have done a good job with the roster??? I thought the narrative at the end of another disappointing season was that the coaches are fine but the players weren't good enough for the schemes, especially on D.

So which is it now? What caused the terrible 2015 season? It seems like Whaley thinks that fan memories and perceptions fade in 2 months.

This doesn't smell good at all especially when we have a rather terrible cap position.

Woods is more of a deep threat than Hogan. By a lot.

Neither are deep threats at all.

Woods is a good blocker and Hogan is a good special teams player but as wide receivers, they are both average NFL players at best.

I think the Bills could probably use the prototypical big, deep threat WR as a #2- just like most teams. But with the salary cap you have to choose and I would rather spend the picks and money on defense or OL at this point.

Edited by vincec

What do you think?

The same defensive roster that dominated in 2014 was not dominate in 2015.

Oh but wait, the future hall of famer Aaron Williams got injured in week 2.

I'm sure we will hear the Front office and organization preach injuries as being the number one reason for the defensive failure and overall failure last season as the offseason goes along.

Except that that's not what Rex has said. He's said that much of the issue was trying to marry his scheme to the one that was quite successful in 2014.

i realize that doesn't provide much fodder for the current diatribe, but I have confidence--based on your posting history--that you'll have no trouble adjusting to a different line of vitriol.

@SalSports

Whaley on #2 WR: Woods was injured last year, showed in 2014 he could be a #2; Have Goodwin and could get Harvin back.....(1/2)..

(cont)..so, have a complement of guys who can fill role, but if there's someone who can help us, won't preclude us from doing it."

So even though Woods played the position well in 2014, we still felt we needed Harvin in 2015 and were willing to pay him 6 mill given the risk. Don't know if this is an endorsement of Woods or not.

Do you believe Rex?

Honest question.

What a ridiculous response. You said this:

I'm sure we will hear the Front office and organization preach injuries as being the number one reason for the defensive failure and overall failure last season as the offseason goes along

My response was that they haven't said that...Rex said it was his trying to marry two schemes.

What difference does it make if I believe Rex or not? For the record, I do, simply because I watched the games. That didn't look anything like the scheme he ran in NJ, nor did it look like Schwartz's scheme. It looked like a dysfunctional amalgamation of the two.

You seem to now be trying to back off the idea that the FO is going to lie about injuries, and have now decided that they're going to lie about what scheme they were running.

Do I gauge the discussion accurately?