Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

13.5 million?

A steep price, yet it must be done. Can't create another hole. The question is, should the tag be exclusive, non-exclusive or transitional?

I think if they drop the tag it would be an exclusive rights franchise tag

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/16/10956324/nfl-free-agency-2016-franchise-tag-definition-value-candidates

Edited by AlwaysBilleve

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the minority, but I think I'd rather have Mario Williams than Cordy Glenn if we have to use the tag... Same cost about 14M.

If it comes to Franchise tag I'd say let Glenn walk and keep Williams if you have to choose between the two.

Best case is that Doug resigns Glenn and don't eat up the full 14M in cap space, and unfortunately Mario will be cut to help sign Gilmore/Richie...

Edited by qblax16

In a perfect world. I was speaking hypothetically as if they aren't able to get a deal done

Depends on how far apart things are. I'd be ok with no exclusive though. Especially if you don't foresee a long term deal, trading a year of Glenn for a first rounder is obvious value to the bills.

I think they get the longterm deal done and there is no need for the tag.

I think they might need tot tag him to give them time to get the deal finalised. But I don't think he plays under the tag, I think a deal is done sometime this spring - this is not a Jairus Byrd situation.

EDIT: Mario wouldn't need tagging. He has a year to go on his deal. We will be cutting him.

I'm in the minority, but I think I'd rather have Mario Williams than Cordy Glenn if we have to use the tag... Same cost about 14M.

If it comes to Franchise tag I'd say let Glenn walk and keep Williams if you have to choose between the two.

Best case is that Doug resigns Glenn and don't eat up the full 14M in cap space, and unfortunately Mario will be cut to help sign Gilmore/Richie...

I totally disagree. I don't absolve Rex for how Mario played completely but you can't put trust in Mario over Glenn - just on that aspect alone. You don't let a 26 year old fantastic left tackle go - especially when the cap is going up approximately 10 million.

I totally disagree. I don't absolve Rex for how Mario played completely but you can't put trust in Mario over Glenn - just on that aspect alone. You don't let a 26 year old fantastic left tackle go - especially when the cap is going up approximately 10 million.

I think this is right. He is a solid player at a position of importance. Even if he doesn't play under the tag, placing it on him to keep him off the market seems worth the risk to me.

You mean use the tag on someone else and keep Mario?

Mario Williams is entering the 5th year of a 6 year contract......

"takes two steps and stops"

Just saying they'd have the same cap figure if Mario plays his 5th year at 13.9M or if we tag Glenn at 13.5M... I think Mario is the more valuable player.

Again I know I'm in the minority on that... Just not thinking Glenn is a top 5 LT really ever, and I think Mario has been a top 5 DE and might have a year or two left in him. I think the Jason Peters deal may have jaded us, but if we can Transition Tag and get a 1st Rd pick out of it I'd be for that.

I just don't see Glenn as elite is the main point... Mario has shown the ability to be elite... just needs some kind of motivation... and who knows what motivates him... It's frustrating but still would rather have him if deciding how to spend the ~14 Million this year

Edited by qblax16

For those in favor of keeping Mario and letting Glenn go, can you explain your reasoning?

Glenn is young and has basically gotten better every year. Mario is in the twilight of his career and seemingly played without any heart last season. You could argue that he detracted from the defense last year with his public whining.

Edited by jhemmer

Just saying they'd have the same cap figure if Mario plays his 5th year at 13.9M or if we tag Glenn at 13.5M... I think Mario is the more valuable player.

Again I know I'm in the minority on that... Just not thinking Glenn is a top 5 LT really ever, and I think Mario has been a top 5 DE and might have a year or two left in him. I think the Jason Peters deal may have jaded us, but if we can Transition Tag and get a 1st Rd pick out of it I'd be for that.

I just don't see Glenn as elite is the main point... Mario has shown the ability to be elite... just needs some kind of motivation... and who knows what motivates him... It's frustrating but still would rather have him if deciding how to spend the ~14 Million this year

I do see your point - I think Glenn is a top 10 LT not a top 5 LT.... but Mario has proven himself borderline elite. He wasn't last year though and whilst the idea of cutting someone as talented as Mario doesn't exactly leave me smiling I think it is inevitable frankly.

We can't let Glenn walk tough. As much as he is not a top 5 LT - there is a such a dearth of good ones that you don't let a top 10 LT walk with no succession plan.

Don't you see the tag as an opportunity to extend talks, driving both sides to make a long term deal. 5 of 6 tagged players last year reached long term deals after being tagged. The only exception was JPP

And he was about to before he blew his finger off. I think this is exactly what will happen. The Bills will tag him and sort out a long term deal before camp.

Don't you see the tag as an opportunity to extend talks, driving both sides to make a long term deal. 5 of 6 tagged players last year reached long term deals after being tagged. The only exception was JPP

Its tricky

I would only want them to use it if they publicly say they are close to an extension

CBF