Smokers -- The cooking variety

ricojes

I am looking to do some serious smoking this summer (I guess that's the best way to word it in order to keep the jokes limited to the chemical variety) and need some advice on what to look for in a smoker. I am a novice, I just grill, so I will probably go with propane. Any smoker brand and/or model recommendations? Any probe recommendations as well?

Someone recommended this site:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/

Any advice?

Edited by ricojes

I really like this site for reviews..

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/reviews_ratings

Just a great overall site for BBQ and grilling in general.

I have a Large Egg, and really enjoy it and use it a ton. If I had to do over, think would maybe buy the Kamoda Joe due to its oval shape and ability to have more of an offset fire.

Also, if you go the komoda style, buy the biggest one you can afford. I regret not getting the XL in the egg.

I know folks who just love the Weber Smokey Mountain ...and way more affordable than the Egg. But can't really use it as a grill..sooo

Really depends how you plan to use, your budget, etc. No right fit for everyone.

I have a Large Egg, and really enjoy it and use it a ton. If I had to do over, think would maybe buy the Kamoda Joe due to its oval shape and ability to have more of an offset fire.

Also, if you go the komoda style, buy the biggest one you can afford. I regret not getting the XL in the egg.

I know folks who just love the Weber Smokey Mountain ...and way more affordable than the Egg. But can't really use it as a grill..sooo

Really depends how you plan to use, your budget, etc. No right fit for everyone.

Great site, thanks!

Same here...love the BGE but the price reflects its popularity so you can probably find cheaper alternatives that are comparable. I second your suggestion to go XL; the large is fine most of the time but sometimes I could really use the extra space.

such a fun activity and the choices are endless anywhere from easy to hard, and the final product is soooooooooo good. that is one of the things i miss in my small apartment living, i don't have storage or lawn space to have a smoker going on a saturday or sunday. If you are handy you can build or slap together your own equipment to customize the whole experience.

I am looking to do some serious smoking this summer (I guess that's the best way to word it in order to keep the jokes limited to the chemical variety) and need some advice on what to look for in a smoker. I am a novice, I just grill, so I will probably go with propane. Any smoker brand and/or model recommendations? Any probe recommendations as well?

Someone recommended this site:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/

Any advice?

Edited by The Poojer

I love my new Traeger Grill. You'll notice the guy who runs smoking-meat.com website got one before the holidays and loves it. I made the smoked prime rib for Christmas, which he also did on his Traeger.

I bought this at Costco, though they changed the model number a bit and the price was $200 less, and it is one of the best investments I've made for outdoor cooking. They make them smaller and less expensive, but we tend to cook big at my house, so I needed the extra real estate. You can check with your Costco when they are coming to town for their next tour.

You're using wood pellets, and the system feeds the chamber while digitally maintaining the heat perfectly. In other words, unless you enjoy killing a day monitoring the temperature and feeding the smoker, you literally light it, heat it, put your meat on it, close it, and return when the meat is done. You can do ribs low and slow and never lift a finger until they're done. We made smoked almonds, and jarred them up as gifts for Christmas and people think I'm a smoking genius.

Note: I have a couple of friends who compete nationally in smoking competitions, and as purists they feel like a machine that auto feeds wood chips and maintains temperature control is for wussies. They can suck it because I love the fact that I can do other things with my day than stand next to a smoker, and STILL have great food at the end of the day.

I started out this fall and got this: Weber Smokey Mountain

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Mountain-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B001I8ZTJA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1455653776&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=smoky+mountain

It is great and pretty easy, even without gas. I have made a few creations including some ribs for a tailgate and also a 20 pound turkey on New Years Eve.

You just have to do some research. A lot of people have what works for them and a lot of information might conflict. Its up to you to find your groove. A key is to start simple with poultry and things that are easier. I seasoned my WSM too as per the comments section there on amazon.

The first thing I made was butterflied chicken breasts and I mixed together chopped jalapenos and cream cheese and filled the breasts. Wrapped with bacon and smoked. Very good, first try and easy. Impressed guests.

Anyways, smoking is awesome. It opens up a world of what is probably the best tasting food. Really looking forward to the Spring. Gonna do my first brisket.

Edited by May Day 10

I was just going to post about the Weber Smokey Mountain...

I have been using mine for almost 16 years now, these things are damn near bulletproof.

I've cooked the gamut : ribs, 12 hour briskets, chicken, fish. You can even break it down and use it as a grill to sear steaks.

Use Chris Allingham's 'Virtual Weber Bullet' web site for resources; it's very well designed

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Happy smokin'

You're using wood pellets, and the system feeds the chamber while digitally maintaining the heat perfectly. In other words, unless you enjoy killing a day monitoring the temperature and feeding the smoker, you literally light it, heat it, put your meat on it, close it, and return when the meat is done. You can do ribs low and slow and never lift a finger until they're done. We made smoked almonds, and jarred them up as gifts for Christmas and people think I'm a smoking genius.

Love smoked almonds. Do you smoke them with tamari for that is much better than soy sauce? There are some great recipes from Tamari Smoked Almonds,

that's part of the appeal to me, if i am gonna smoke meat, i clear out the day or at least keep my activities limited to being in close proximity

Note: I have a couple of friends who compete nationally in smoking competitions, and as purists they feel like a machine that auto feeds wood chips and maintains temperature control is for wussies. They can suck it because I love the fact that I can do other things with my day than stand next to a smoker, and STILL have great food at the end of the day.

I decided to make my own. It was cheap, easy, and turns out some of the best bbq around.

Its called an ugly drum smoker. Google it. I like the fact that i dont have to tend the firepit like an offset smoker. Its not a traeger. (i admit to being a guy who would rather build my own, and use skill to bbq, rather then out of the box for dummies) And i have the capacity for 4 butts, or six full racks of ribs, or two 18 lb briskets, etc...

the drum is a two rack, direct heat, charcoal and wood fire pit....

and the site i like is http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/some of the nations best professionals are on there and the place has everything you need, for any skill level. no snobbery, just fanatics...

I love my new Traeger Grill. You'll notice the guy who runs smoking-meat.com website got one before the holidays and loves it. I made the smoked prime rib for Christmas, which he also did on his Traeger.

I bought this at Costco, though they changed the model number a bit and the price was $200 less, and it is one of the best investments I've made for outdoor cooking. They make them smaller and less expensive, but we tend to cook big at my house, so I needed the extra real estate. You can check with your Costco when they are coming to town for their next tour.

I agree that this thing looks awesome.

However, part of grilling, barbecuing and/or smoking, is the experience of the work involved. It's almost like a sport in the way you gameplan/strategize, then monitor and adjust. Personally, I enjoy that part of it, even though it does require a lot more work.

I guess it's all about personal preference.

I decided to make my own. It was cheap, easy, and turns out some of the best bbq around.

Its called an ugly drum smoker. Google it. I like the fact that i dont have to tend the firepit like an offset smoker. Its not a traeger. (i admit to being a guy who would rather build my own, and use skill to bbq, rather then out of the box for dummies) And i have the capacity for 4 butts, or six full racks of ribs, or two 18 lb briskets, etc...

the drum is a two rack, direct heat, charcoal and wood fire pit....

and the site i like is http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/some of the nations best professionals are on there and the place has everything you need, for any skill level. no snobbery, just fanatics...

Did you use a kit? Can you provide a link to the instructions you followed? This looks like an awesome project.

I agree that this thing looks awesome.

However, part of grilling, barbecuing and/or smoking, is the experience of the work involved. It's almost like a sport in the way you gameplan/strategize, then monitor and adjust. Personally, I enjoy that part of it, even though it does require a lot more work.

I guess it's all about personal preference.

I also enjoy sitting next to the fire all day with a cold beer watching the smoke drift by but I can definitely see the appeal of crock pot style, set and forget BBQ. I certainly would have Q'd a lot more back in the day were that an option. Also, its pretty exhausting slaving over a finicky smoker that refuses to maintain a steady temp. Makes it a lot more difficult to host friends and family.

I also enjoy sitting next to the fire all day with a cold beer watching the smoke drift by but I can definitely see the appeal of crock pot style, set and forget BBQ. I certainly would have Q'd a lot more back in the day were that an option. Also, its pretty exhausting slaving over a finicky smoker that refuses to maintain a steady temp. Makes it a lot more difficult to host friends and family.

I don't have any friends.

That thing looks awesome. Dammit, you've now caused me to consider a 1K purchase I didn't think I needed.

Yeah, I was gonna say...

I'm married and have an 11-year-old. If I can make make great Q and still spend my weekend doing things with them, Traeger wins every time.

Yeah, I'm married with a soon-to-be 13-year-old and I totally dig what you're saying. But most of my outdoor food cooking is just grilling with charcoal. I've only smoked once (a brisket from Boyst) and just used my charcoal grill to do it.

Maybe we can be friends, seeing how we have so much in common. Then we can smoke for each other.

I have an upright (bullet type) smoker that runs on charcoal This one: https://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/acatalog/proq-excel-20-premier-food-smoker.html

Also have Texas charcoal grill with a side smoker box similar to this: http://www.shopladder.com/heavy-duty-offset-charcoal-and-wood-smoker-and-grill-p631339.htm?utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=google-shopladder.com&utm_term=631339&utm_content=PLA-631339

I'm not resistant to technology or think automated, electic controlled pellet smokers are for "cheaters." For me, I actually enjoy the time invested in it (and because it gets me out of other obligations like socializing with the inlaws and such). With the upright I can load it up and leave it be for at least two and sometimes four hours at a time without having to babysit the fire.

All that being said, this little devil is really handy for either cold smoking cheeses or almonds, as well as adding a little extra smoke flavor to more dense meats. https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS

I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to smoke foods, it all depends on your needs and how much of your day/evening/weekend you want to commit to the hobby. For me, a six pack of Shiner Bock, some SRV playing in the background and a few hours on my deck with my smoker is a great Saturday afternoon.

Enjoy the window shopping experience and weigh the pros and cons of each.

And that's what I don't like about smoking. I love the results but I just can't hang around all day.

don't know about the smaller egg, but that was the main consideration for why i went the ceramic route. 60 minutes to the temp pegged, generally good for the next 9-12 or so.

don't know about the smaller egg, but that was the main consideration for why i went the ceramic route. 60 minutes to the temp pegged, generally good for the next 9-12 or so.

Yes the BGE holds the temp spot on forever. Issue is I have a smaller egg and end up with the heat being too direct. I know there is a plate you can put over the heat so it's not so direct but didn't find one.

I'm sticking with making the cured meats and getting the BBQ from a local joint....for now.

Yeah, I'm married with a soon-to-be 13-year-old and I totally dig what you're saying. But most of my outdoor food cooking is just grilling with charcoal. I've only smoked once (a brisket from Boyst) and just used my charcoal grill to do it.

Maybe we can be friends, seeing how we have so much in common. Then we can smoke for each other.

We probably could be friends, except for the fact that I basically, y'know, don't like people.

That thing looks awesome. Dammit, you've now caused me to consider a 1K purchase I didn't think I needed.

You don't need to spend a grand. Traeger does road shows at Costco where they set up shop for a couple of weeks. Your Costco will tell you when they're in town. That'll save you a couple hundred at least.

I don't have any friends.

On margin, having friends is pretty cool but its a slippery slope. As I learned recently after moving to TX, you make one friend, then two, then you've got friends in the plural and you meet their friends and loved ones then you have lots of friends and next thing you know you're on a first name basis with TRBJ. In real life!!!!!

Speaking of which, RIP Joe.

So what do you recommend as small starter smoker?

I love smoked meats but will never be doing more than small turkey or lamb since I have a small family.

I like the taste of smoked meats so want more than just well cooked fall of the bone meat but the hickory smoke flavor.

On subject of BBQ if you are driving thru PA to game in Buffalo I recommend this place for really BBQ on the way:

Gio's Woodland Food & Fuel

2829 Woodland Bigler Hwy, Woodland, PA 16881

it is a gas place but they sell real good food there.

I drive from via I-99 and cut thru that area on way to 219.

We probably could be friends, except for the fact that I basically, y'know, don't like people.

You don't need to spend a grand. Traeger does road shows at Costco where they set up shop for a couple of weeks. Your Costco will tell you when they're in town. That'll save you a couple hundred at least.

Thanks for the tip. Calling Costco pronto.

The guy in the 6th picture down on the amazon site, tending to the smoker with a hammock in the background, pretty much sums up what I am looking for....

The guy in the 6th picture down on the amazon site, tending to the smoker with a hammock in the background, pretty much sums up what I am looking for....

I can't sit around like that. I'm too hyper or something. If I'm cooking I have to constantly be busy and on the move. That's why, once again, I'm into the cured meats thing. Once you've cured it and hung it to dry you're essentially done for 4-6 weeks. You move on to the next project. It's a shame really because when I've done some smoking the results are amazing and I love me a good Q.

So what do you recommend as small starter smoker?

I love smoked meats but will never be doing more than small turkey or lamb since I have a small family.

I like the taste of smoked meats so want more than just well cooked fall of the bone meat but the hickory smoke flavor.

On subject of BBQ if you are driving thru PA to game in Buffalo I recommend this place for really BBQ on the way:

Gio's Woodland Food & Fuel

2829 Woodland Bigler Hwy, Woodland, PA 16881

it is a gas place but they sell real good food there.

I drive from via I-99 and cut thru that area on way to 219.

I drive that y as well,I see that place all the time, if it is the place that is right off of 80 as you are heading back to 99.

Have never stopped as we always bring sandwiches with us as am not a big fan of fast food on a long drive....maybe next time will plan to get some Q from there.

i stopped at what sounds like a similar type of place near the SC/GA border on 95, it's a bbq place run by what appears to be a couple of women, behind a gas station, food was out of this world. I need to figure out the name of it, had stopped near there many times and always was lured by the smell but never stopped, this past november i did and it was an instant classic.

I drive that y as well,I see that place all the time, if it is the place that is right off of 80 as you are heading back to 99.

Have never stopped as we always bring sandwiches with us as am not a big fan of fast food on a long drive....maybe next time will plan to get some Q from there.

gugny,

Here is the link(hopefully) to the thread that explains it all. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

It is very long. i mean VERY long. but you can jump around and see lots of pics. And get lots of instructions on how to do it. I didn't use a kit to build it. I started with 4- 55 gal food drums bought of of craigslist. I paid to have them sandblasted. Drilled my holes, and bought my parts. assembled. Painted. seasoning burn with a nice thick coating of pam, nice and hot. and Voila! instant smoker.if i knew how to upload photos from my pc, i would....cant seem to figure it out... :censored:

Edited by Zona

• 8 months later...

hey bud, was just looking at this thread and wondered if you ever got your smoker and smoked a whole mess over the summer?