Scathing article in NYDN on Peyton Manning

YoloinOhio

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is race not pertinent to this conversation? It's the subject of the article that this thread is about. Manning walked off the field after a Super Bowl loss without shaking anyone's hand and everyone said it was because he cared so much. Newton walked out of an interview after a Super Bowl loss and everyone said it was because he was a punk. Is race a factor in peoples' reactions to each situation? Could be. Certainly not a stretch.

Who is everyone? 5 sports reporters?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/who-loves-cam-newton-the-most-012816

Name a QB who you feel is congruent to Newton who is white. Show the racial double standard. Didn't you just espouse how "everyone" hates Brady, an arrogant, cocky, white QB?

So you're saying that if Newton was white and acted exactly as he does now everyone would love him?

Is there a shred of evidence to suggest this? Because the argument seems to be that the only difference between the loudmouth showboat who does celebration dances after first downs and the guy who has demonstrated class and humility consistently for 20 years is race.

I guess the reason everyone hates Brady is because he's black.

Bingo. It's an argument that can't be proven or even indicated.

But "everyone hates him."

Everyone hates Brady because of his unmatched success. Because the patriots cheat. Because hes a pretty boy. Because hes married to a super model. Because they are envious of all of the above.

Its hard to find a qb similar to Cam in terms of personality on the field. One qb that comes to mind is Philip Rivers. Very vocal. Can definitely rub opposing fans the wrong way bc of his antics on the field. Has been successful in the league. But yet nowhere near as polarizing as Cam.

Who is Cam polarizing to? The guys who write articles, or the actual US? It's hardly scientific, but how many folks on this board are "polarized" by Newton?

All I'll say is this: when Newton walked out of that press conference, the FIRST thing I thought- before all the talking heads chimed in the next day- was, hey at least the guy cares. In 2016, we think that all these athletes only care about the money but it was evident that the guy really wanted to win that football game. Which is, according to this article (and substantiated by the fact that no one even remembers it) EXACTLY what people said about Manning when he acted like a baby after the loss against the Saints- at which point, he was a lot older than Newton is now, mind you. Has anyone ever called Manning a punk? Did they call him a punk when he used to act like a baby on the sidelines and in front of the media by always yelling at his linemen and throwing them under the bus? Nope. He was always viewed as the consummate professional.

And I have already stated in this thread that I think the race card is wildly overused in America in 2016. I think there's a case for it here though. When the lady wrote the article about what should she tell her daughter after seeing the guy dance in the endzone, that was way over the top. And that was not, as an earlier poster suggested, "one lady's opinion" or whatever, that was a widespread sentiment. Is his dancing immature? Sure. But it's utterly harmless. And I can assure you that if a white guy danced like a goofball after TD's, everyone would jokingly make fun of his dance moves but it would all be viewed in good fun.

Why was he a "douchenozzle" this season?? He is, by all accounts, a terrific teammate, he gives balls to young children, which makes their year, he got nearly choked up when asked about his relationship with Greg Olsen during media week, I thought he handled the real douchenozzle, Jerry Sullivan's, barrage of questioning very professionally. So the guy does some silly dance when he scores? That's it. You know that prior to this season when Kubiak stepped in, Peyton Manning wouldn't even let Brock Osweiler get any reps in practice? He was never interested in helping to groom the kid, never talks to him on the sidelines or anything, he was always paranoid that he might perform well and threaten his job. But he's so charming in those Nationwide commercials, isn't he?

Citation needed. I will link this again.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/who-loves-cam-newton-the-most-012816

Peyton Manning and Cam Newton act completely differently and are thus treated differently. There's not a single link to race, at all. You are looking to confirm your own world-view. "There must be racists who hate Cam even though I haven't seen one."

Edited by FireChan

Why was he a "douchenozzle" this season?? He is, by all accounts, a terrific teammate, he gives balls to young children, which makes their year, he got nearly choked up when asked about his relationship with Greg Olsen during media week, I thought he handled the real douchenozzle, Jerry Sullivan's, barrage of questioning very professionally. So the guy does some silly dance when he scores? That's it. You know that prior to this season when Kubiak stepped in, Peyton Manning wouldn't even let Brock Osweiler get any reps in practice? He was never interested in helping to groom the kid, never talks to him on the sidelines or anything, he was always paranoid that he might perform well and threaten his job. But he's so charming in those Nationwide commercials, isn't he?

All the criticism I have read was in regards to him being a "douche" this year with things like the Superbowl postgame, various in-game antics, whining, etc. I'm not familiar enough with him this season to really speak to whether they were douchey or not. The criticism has all been for things that are recent and on actions he is taking now.

Why aren't they comparing him Johnny Manziel which seem like a more accurate comparison? This seems like trying to cherry pick to fit a narrative.

Attributing race to Newton/Manning perceptions is an idiotic point because it's wholly unsupported. If it compared Manning to a black guy who showed class but was villified for a few old or little known transgressions he'd have a reasonable argument. If he compared a white hotshot who was loved to Cam Newton he might have an argument.

Instead he looks at two guys with polar opposite public demeanor and attributes the difference in perception to race. It's lazy writing. It's !@#$ing stupid. It only appears relevant to simple minds that are inclined to attribute everything to racism. Those people are pathetic and so is this article and author.

I appreciate your passion, but your vehemence ignores the foundations this country was built upon. Race is always present in this country; it's baffling to me that there are people who are surprised or upset that it continues to be a sticking point or a lightning rod. Race only appears irrelevant to those who want it to go away without having to deal with its implications and indictments. Hopefully, most would like to see the conversation be unnecessary, because the prism of race, and perceptions and actions based on it, is not how people are viewed any longer. But that won't happen unless these difficult conversations are had. And outside of Cam Newtwon or any comparisons between he and Peyton Manning, that report had many racial overtones within it that are disturbing in and of themselves.

Who is everyone? 5 sports reporters?

Name a QB who you feel is congruent to Newton who is white. Show the racial double standard. Didn't you just espouse how "everyone" hates Brady, an arrogant, cocky, white QB?

Bingo. It's an argument that can't be proven or even indicated.

But "everyone hates him."

Who is Cam polarizing to? The guys who write articles, or the actual US? It's hardly scientific, but how many folks on this board are "polarized" by Newton?

Citation needed. I will link this again.

Peyton Manning and Cam Newton act completely differently and are thus treated differently. There's not a single link to race, at all. You are looking to confirm your own world-view. "There must be racists who hate Cam even though I haven't seen one."

Interesting article. Some good points. This one wasn't one:

And let's just say you were a virulent racist, would there be a worse way to spend your time than watching a sport where black people represent 70% of the athletes? Wouldn't it drive you insane to see black people winning all the time? You wouldn't just have to be racist, you'd have to be a sado masochistic racist.

Racism isn't rational. And no, it wouldn't drive a racist crazy, per se, because the black people playing the game are probably viewed in a couple of ways: one, they are just pieces on a board. They play the game. The racist fan routes. Fair exchange. They don't have to have any dealing with them outside of that context, or two, the black players playing the game, who they "love" are "different" from other black people. They aren't seen as the same as "other" black people who they perceive in a racist way.

There was a time in my life I would have agreed with that particular point of the author. Then I worked on a film. Had a woman I hired to do background work, who I had done some battle for over money owed by the production. She got her money. Last day of working she's crying, hugging me, telling me how she loves me and will miss me, etc. Then a P.A., who happened to be a black man, walked in our vicinity and she said and I quote,"I love you so much, but that n#@@#$ over there, I hate his guts." When I called her out, full of offense, she cried even harder, swore up and down she wasn't talking about me. She said and I quote, "You're different..." What she should have said in continuation is, "until you upset me in some type of way."

I had experienced racial episodes many times before that, but that particular type was a first. I talked to people I knew, from grandparents, to my peers and they had similar bizarre experiences such as the one I encountered. Racism and prejudice is a complicated ugliness.

I have posted this before on here and some people mocked it, but I will post this again. I have friends who work in the NFL in broadcast...from NFL Network, to ESPN, to local coverage media, etc. And I have heard from many of them that its a wide spread known fact behind the scenes that Manning has a sex addiction life that rivals what Tiger Woods was. Its also widely believed that his wife is aware and has her own fun on the side in their open marriage. He has an apartment in Indianapolis he keeps for his regular call girls to stay. Its known amongst the inner circle of journalism, but its never reported on. Just like Woods had a lifestyle that was known internally, but it wasnt until the incident with his wife that brought it out officially in the media.

I noticed many in this thread are playing the race card and stuff and debating race. I can tell you that the media kept quiet about Tiger Woods too until something brought the story out. People knew, but his Icon status and lack of direct, hard evidence kept them from really going after the story. No one wanted to be responsible for going after Tigers reputation and not being able to unquestionably substantiate it, he was way too important and beloved. So it was ignored for the most part.

The same thing is true for Peyton. Its something thats been known on the inner circles, but the respect for him, his iconic status and lack of anything to truly substantiate what was known kept people at bay. So while I get why people have been talking race because how Peyton and Cam are both being treated differently, this side of Mannings life had less to do with the fact that he is white, and more to do with the fact that he's an Icon with a squeaky clean image that everyone in the industry loves, especially in media. They did the same thing for Tiger Woods who is Black, so its not a race thing. They protected Michael Jordan quite a bit too when he had a terrible gambling issue (some say that led to the death of his father) would punch teammates, belittle teammates...but his Iconic status rose to such prominence that no one wanted to focus on any of that. Most were small stories at best.

And the final thing is that the sexual assault case in college was BEFORE social media existed for the most part. If that case happened in the modern day era, there would be no escaping it.

And finally...even though I stated that I don't see the Manning thing as it being racial...there is a HUGE racial biased in media. And Cam is a good example, but the best example from the SB had nothing to do with the players. Beyonce caught fire for the Black Panther tribute outfits...yet NONE of the Country Music people, Kid Rock, Rock bands, etc that fly the confederate flag in their concerts, albums, media, etc get ANY flack for it. Black Panthers didn't stand for racism either, they were fighting for the rights of their oppressed people. The confederate flag is NOT even the confederate flag...it was a battle flag. It became known as the confederate flag when they formed the political group the Dixiecrat Party in 1948 and it was there symbol and flag. The Dixiecrat party was formed to fight to have segregation and to keep lynching legal...and its a flag often flown by the KKK. But somehow, white bands in rock and country flying this flag, wearing it as clothes, etc doesn't get reported on as a racial issue, but Beyonce having the Black Panthers who fought for their rights somehow does?

Excellent comments. Prepare for the vitriol

@dandcshow

I was just told by a current ESPN anchor that all ESPN employees were told not to report or discuss the Daily News story on Peyton Manning.

Interesting

Actually they are talking about nonstop.

Not really. Florio takes King to task for misrepresenting what the Judge in the defamation said when he declared that the case could be tried. It is abundantly clear that the judge thinks there is sufficient evidence to find that the Mannings did indeed defame this woman. That they lied and knowing told lies in their book.

This whole issue isn't about Manning dropping his sack on someone's chin (or not). It's about the way that he and his family and his school clearly lied to cover up the fact and then, after they settled the first time, dragged the issue to the fore again in an over effort to slander the woman years later in their book.

As for the plaintiff's court document, etc---it's not just "one side of the story". It contains the sworn testimony of many individuals who have exposed the Mannings as liars and manipulators and defamers.

Excellent comments. Prepare for the vitriol

Athletes, actors, politicians, musicians, and other people in the spotlight are just as flawed as the rest of us. Money and FAME is not a cure for drug addiction, sex addiction, gambling addiction, physical and psychological abuse, and any other thing you can think of. In some cases it seems to magnify these problems. Just because you can throw a fifty yard strike between the seem of a two deep zone doesn't mean your a good person. It's a simple concept some fans just refuse to accept.

I appreciate your passion, but your vehemence ignores the foundations this country was built upon. Race is always present in this country; it's baffling to me that there are people who are surprised or upset that it continues to be a sticking point or a lightning rod. Race only appears irrelevant to those who want it to go away without having to deal with its implications and indictments. Hopefully, most would like to see the conversation be unnecessary, because the prism of race, and perceptions and actions based on it, is not how people are viewed any longer. But that won't happen unless these difficult conversations are had. And outside of Cam Newtwon or any comparisons between he and Peyton Manning, that report had many racial overtones within it that are disturbing in and of themselves.

You just exposed yourself. You're predisposed to seeing everything through the prism of racism and as such will always see it whether it's there or not.

I'm not so naive to assume there aren't people who don't like Cam Newton because he's a back QB. But that's not really the point. The race baiters who want to push that narrative will claim that as long as they can find one person in a country of 300+ million that racism (specifically anti-black racism) is prevalent.

Overcompensating for past injustices isn't noble or even pragmatic. It's destructive. If there's real injustice being perpetrated due to race (or any other reason, for that matter) then by all means, call attention to it. But let's not just pull ridiculous accusations out of our asses because they fit our biased narrative of the ever-racist US of KKKA.

Attributing race to Newton/Manning perceptions is an idiotic point because it's wholly unsupported. If it compared Manning to a black guy who showed class but was villified for a few old or little known transgressions he'd have a reasonable argument. If he compared a white hotshot who was loved to Cam Newton he might have an argument.

Instead he looks at two guys with polar opposite public demeanor and attributes the difference in perception to race. It's lazy writing. It's !@#$ing stupid. It only appears relevant to simple minds that are inclined to attribute everything to racism. Those people are pathetic and so is this article and author.

You do know that manning left the field without shaking Brees hand after the super bowl is that class. I think you forfeit the right to be called classy when you run you Anus on someone's face

Folks might always and forever find ways to divide themselves.

Whether to group with others or separate from the herd.

To elevate or denigrate.

We are individuals and all part of one.

any attempt to define one self or from another is ego.

and there is the reason why we are mostly a work in process as human beings.

You just exposed yourself. You're predisposed to seeing everything through the prism of racism and as such will always see it whether it's there or not.

I'm not so naive to assume there aren't people who don't like Cam Newton because he's a back QB. But that's not really the point. The race baiters who want to push that narrative will claim that as long as they can find one person in a country of 300+ million that racism (specifically anti-black racism) is prevalent.

Overcompensating for past injustices isn't noble or even pragmatic. It's destructive. If there's real injustice being perpetrated due to race (or any other reason, for that matter) then by all means, call attention to it. But let's not just pull ridiculous accusations out of our asses because they fit our biased narrative of the ever-racist US of KKKA.

I exposed myself? The point is, we are all predisposed to seeing things through a prism of race. Does it mean every situation is racially motivated? No, and I never said that. What I did say is our country was built on a foundation of seeing race. That permeates the fabric of American society; laws, organizations and social convention buttressed this for centuries. In America we even identify ourselves by ethnicity. In other countries they identify us as American. (Although other countries have their issues with ethnicity, nationalism is a more strongly used discriminatory vice.)

I'm not sure what you mean by overcompensating for past injustices. The past informs the present. I spoke of history to enforce the point that today, race is still an issue. It does not just go away because one wants it to. One can acknowledge that not every situation has a racial component while entertaining the possibility that there might be some in any given situation. How many pages are we into this thread, with people on either side of the issue and other issues around race and perception? Which re-enforces my point.

Folks might always and forever find ways to divide themselves.

Whether to group with others or separate from the herd.

To elevate or denigrate.

We are individuals and all part of one.

any attempt to define one self or from another is ego.

and there is the reason why we are mostly a work in process as human beings.

Work in progress is right. And on we march.

Edited by purple haze

I exposed myself? The point is, we are all predisposed to seeing things through a prism of race. Does it mean every situation is racially motivated? No, and I never said that. What I did say is our country was built on a foundation of seeing race. That permeates the fabric of American society; laws, organizations and social convention buttressed this for centuries. In America we even identify ourselves by ethnicity. In other countries they identify us as American. (Although other countries have their issues with ethnicity, nationalism is a more strongly used discriminatory vice.)

I'm not sure what you mean by overcompensating for past injustices. The past informs the present. I spoke of history to enforce the point that today, race is still an issue. It does not just go away because one wants it to. One can acknowledge that not every situation has a racial component while entertaining the possibility that there might be some in any given situation. How many pages are we into this thread, with people on either side of the issue and other issues around race and perception? Which re-enforces my point.

Work in progress is right. And on we march.

I knew you could dig it.

melting pot of all sorts is America.

Mongrels are we all.

and in that simple thought, we become equal and each righteous.

It kind of sounds to me like a gold digger is out of money & wants to reopen what ever this is about to reload her bank account !

Especially as this was settled & she agreed some 18 or so years ago ! :huh:

That's an interesting take. So you think that's why she brought this up now?