Scathing article in NYDN on Peyton Manning

YoloinOhio

Yeah.. that was funny as ****.

1. like 90% of NFL players, PM did stupid stuff in college (for which he has paid settlements, unlike 85% of NFL players)

2. like 90% of NFL players, PM has allegedly cheated on his wife

3. like 50% of NFL players, he has business investments (I believe his beer comment was spontanious)

But since he won the Superbowl and Peter King wants higher ratings.. well here we are.

I'm neutral on PM. Don't fall for the media rage game. Pay some attention to your loved ones instead.

Do you like Tom Brady? If not, why not? I don't like Peyton Manning. Aside from beating the Bills every year (and the Uggs ads), has Tom Brady offended you more as a person than Peyton Manning?

And 90% of players cheat on their wives? Hmm wasn't aware of that. I literally know multiple girls here in Denver- who he didn't even know, mind you- that he has casually invited to his hotel room. Everyone knows he was doing the same thing in Indianapolis. In fact, he doesn't even try and conceal it, which is why most people think they have an open relationship. And if that's the case, great for them, nobody's business. But to pretend that he's America's good ol' boy, nah sorry. And 90% of players have dropped their pants and rubbed their packages in a young girl's face in college? Gotcha.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you like Tom Brady? If not, why not? I don't like Peyton Manning. Aside from beating the Bills every year (and the Uggs ads), has Tom Brady offended you more as a person than Peyton Manning?

Are you "offended" that Peyton owns some Papa John's franchises?

And 90% of players cheat on their wives? Hmm wasn't aware of that. I literally know multiple girls here in Denver- who he didn't even know, mind you- that he has casually invited to his hotel room.. Everyone knows he was doing the same thing in Indianapolis. In fact, he doesn't even try and conceal it, which is why most people think they have an open relationship. And if that's the case, great for them, nobody's business. But to pretend that he's America's good ol' boy, nah sorry. And 90% of players have dropped their pants and rubbed their packages in a young girl's face in college? Gotcha.

Huh?

I never mentioned Tom Brady. But to your Q, I don't like him because he comes across as an arrogant primma donna playboy (dam good QB though).

Just to be clear, Beerball, and not intending to weigh in on other comments, there were two settlements with confidentiality agreements:

1) when Naughright left Tennessee in 1997, settlement by university for $300,000 to which Manning was a party (signed confidentiality agreement

2) settlement to lawsuit Naughright filed 2 years after Manning published his book, after Florida University dismissed her and she apparently cound not find other employment, amount not to my knowledge disclosed (2003)

Now apparently there is a new lawsuit against UT alleging a hostile environment that violates Title IX.

Many states have freedom of information laws that make it impossible (or at least very difficult) to keep settlements with a public university confidential. That may be why some of the terms of the UT settlement are known. Not sure about the second lawsuit. It sounds like the school was not a party to it.

Are you "offended" that Peyton owns some Papa John's franchises?

Not offended per se, no of course not. It's just another reason that he's a huge dork. What offends me is that he is considered America's good ol' boy. Not like liberal white guy "I'm offended," it's more like it's insulting to my intelligence. And in that sense, I am also offended how everyone 'round these parts hates Tom Brady but was all "sure I'd love to see Peyton win one more and ride off into the sunset?" Why? The guy is a freaking dork. I wanted to see Thomas Davis win one. He coaches youth football with my cousin in Charlotte and from all accounts is a hell of a guy.

Not offended per se, no of course not. It's just another reason that he's a huge dork. What offends me is that he is considered America's good ol' boy. Not like liberal white guy "I'm offended," it's more like it's insulting to my intelligence. And in that sense, I am also offended how everyone 'round these parts hates Tom Brady but was all "sure I'd love to see Peyton win one more and ride off into the sunset?" Why? The guy is a freaking dork.

Why? Because he's successfully invested in a company that brings in money? Making money makes him a dork?

Peyton's PR management is world-class. That cannot be denied.

You are offended that a Bills board hates the rival QB who has stomped on them for 15 years and likes the rival of said QB? What did you expect?

Huh?

I never mentioned Tom Brady. But to your Q, I don't like him because he comes across as an arrogant primma donna playboy (dam good QB though).

To be clear, I don't really care about Peyton Manning and I was the one that brought up the juxtaposition vis-a-vis Brady. But have you ever listened to Brady on the Monday Night Football halftime radio show telecast when he's on with Jim Gray and Larry Fitzgerald? He actually comes off as pretty likeable. Meanwhile who wants to recall when Manning jogged off the field and wouldn't shake anyone's hand after the Super Bowl loss against the Saints? Nobody.

Why? Because he's successfully invested in a company that brings in money? Making money makes him a dork?

Peyton's PR management is world-class. That cannot be denied.

You are offended that a Bills board hates the rival QB who has stomped on them for 15 years and likes the rival of said QB? What did you expect?

If I was worth over $100 million and I could do anything in the world to make even more money, I can assure I would not appear in dopey commercials to make a few extra bucks and I certainly wouldn't promote a horrible fast food pizza chain. I like Bocce's and Leonardi's, you may be more of a Papa John's guy, to each their own. Me, I would like to think I would spend my time doing more of the stuff that Brian Moorman did when he was on the Bills and still does and just invest my money in stocks. Does Peyton Manning believe in Papa John's as a quality pizza establishment so much that he needs to be worth $150 million instead of $100 million or whatever? I don't know. I would just take my $100 million and do stuff I really believed in.

To be clear, I don't really care about Peyton Manning and I was the one that brought up the juxtaposition vis-a-vis Brady. But have you ever listened to Brady on the Monday Night Football halftime radio show telecast when he's on with Jim Gray and Larry Fitzgerald? He actually comes off as pretty likeable. Meanwhile who wants to recall when Manning jogged off the field and wouldn't shake anyone's hand after the Super Bowl loss against the Saints? Nobody.

If I was worth over $100 million and I could do anything in the world to make even more money, I can assure I would not appear in dopey commercials to make a few extra bucks and I certainly wouldn't promote a horrible fast food pizza chain. I like Bocce's and Leonardi's, you may be more of a Papa John's guy, to each their own.

I commend you for your pizza integrity. Not enough fans today with the guts to stand up for athletes who don't promote national brands IMO.

How much is Papa's worth compared to Bocce's? What's Bocce's national ad campaign looking like these days?

Also, you don't really care about Peyton Manning? Do you have a habit of saying you dislike and hate players you don't care about? It's a thin line between love and hate, you know.

If I was worth over $100 million and I could do anything in the world to make even more money, I can assure I would not appear in dopey commercials to make a few extra bucks and I certainly wouldn't promote a horrible fast food pizza chain. I like Bocce's and Leonardi's, you may be more of a Papa John's guy, to each their own. Me, I would like to think I would spend my time doing more of the stuff that Brian Moorman did when he was on the Bills and still does and just invest my money in stocks. Does Peyton Manning believe in Papa John's as a quality pizza establishment so much that he needs to be worth $150 million instead of $100 million or whatever? I don't know. I would just take my $100 million and do stuff I really believed in.

Due to your edit.

The stock market is super volatile. Not really a safe investment. I'd say Papa's is way safer for a ROI.

Do you believe that athletes have to believe in the "quality" of their shilled product? Do you think Marv and the gang really believed in Snickers as a quality candy bar way back when? Was that their motivation for the commercial? Are you trolling me right now?

Go ahead and look at Papa's market share. Clearly somebody is enjoying enough of their food. "To each their own" indeed, unless you disagree with the market monster Bocce's, who can't even dominate a single poverty-stricken city.

Edited by FireChan

I commend you for your pizza integrity. Not enough fans today with the guts to stand up for athletes who don't promote national brands IMO.

How much is Papa's worth compared to Bocce's? What's Bocce's national ad campaign looking like these days?

Also, you don't really care about Peyton Manning? Do you have a habit of saying you dislike and hate players you don't care about? It's a thin line between love and hate, you know.

Maybe it's because I live in Denver and I hate the Broncos even more than I hate the Patriots.

And yes, we are having two different discussions. I do not question that Peyton Manning's investment in Papa John's is a sound and savvy investment. I'm just saying that if I had $100 million, I would probably just coast on that for a while, maybe do some cool traveling, rather than team up with a gargantuan douche and shill sh***y pizza. Whatever, I honestly do not care that much about this one.

Due to your edit.

The stock market is super volatile. Not really a safe investment. I'd say Papa's is way safer for a ROI.

Do you believe that athletes have to believe in the "quality" of their shilled product? Do you think Marv and the gang really believed in Snickers as a quality candy bar way back when? Was that their motivation for the commercial? Are you trolling me right now?

Go ahead and look at Papa's market share. Clearly somebody is enjoying enough of their food. "To each their own" indeed, unless you disagree with the market monster Bocce's, who can't even dominate a single poverty-stricken city.

Ehh doing one goofy Snickers commercial was totally cool. And I'm not sure Marv Levy ever even made $1 million in a season. I would happily shill a quality candy bar such as Snickers if my gradnkid's grandkid's grandkids weren't already guaranteed to be filthy rich two centuries from now.

I'm no pizza expert and could care less who is hawking the pie. Give me a pie with sausage, mushrooms and lots of cheese I'm good. And that includes Domino's and Papa Johns. Point being I could care less who's hawking a product, rather Papa Johns or Budweiser. I'm not watching commercials for guidance in life.

Well, your username shows some class, so I won't quibble.

My favorite pizzas when in town are La Nova and Picasso's.

When traveling, I like Papa Johns because I know what to expect. It's not great. But it is sanitary and not revolting.

In desperate conditions.. I ordered Dominos. Don't tell anyone.

Edited by boater

Maybe it's because I live in Denver and I hate the Broncos even more than I hate the Patriots.

And yes, we are having two different discussions. I do not question that Peyton Manning's investment in Papa John's is a sound and savvy investment. I'm just saying that if I had $100 million, I would probably just coast on that for a while, maybe do some cool traveling, rather than team up with a gargantuan douche and shill sh***y pizza. Whatever, I honestly do not care that much about this one.

Ehh doing one goofy Snickers commercial was totally cool. And I'm not sure Marv Levy ever even made $1 million in a season. I would happily shill a quality candy bar such as Snickers if my gradnkid's grandkid's grandkids weren't already guaranteed to be filthy rich two centuries from now.

What about their grandkids? Don't you care about them? What if Peyton's kids accidentally lose $100M on a shoddy investment? Then I'd bet Peyton would've wished he made a couple extra bucks.

Let's dispel with the ruse. You dislike Peyton "shilling" because he's making more money than you believe he should. Too bad he doesn't have a care in the world about what you or I think about it. Make as much money as you can PM. Get to that $1B mark.

Also, let's look at Peyton's charity work. You think he'd do all the charity he does if he wasn't also making money? Do the patients at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital really hate him making some extra dough?

Edited by FireChan

What about their grandkids? Don't you care about them? What if Peyton's kids accidentally lose $100M on a shoddy investment? Then I'd bet Peyton would've wished he made a couple extra bucks.

Let's dispel with the ruse. You dislike Peyton "shilling" because he's making more money than you believe he should. Too bad he doesn't have a care in the world about what you or I think about it. Make as much money as you can PM. Get to that $1B mark.

This conversation could've gotten out of hand (I was about to talk about the stock market as a viable long term investment- certainly for someone Manning's age- but opted to drop it). All I'm saying is that I don't like the guy and what makes me like him even less is when people tell me I "gotta" like the guy when, to me at least, he's a bigger dork and every bit as unlikeable as Tom Brady. That's all. If you like Peyton Manning, then fine, we can agree to disagree.

The author should've had the awareness to choose a better line than this one: "And if that makes me part of the whole Indianapolis butt-kisser’s club, so be it."

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This conversation could've gotten out of hand (I was about to talk about the stock market as a viable long term investment- certainly for someone Manning's age- but opted to drop it). All I'm saying is that I don't like the guy and what makes me like him even less is when people tell me I "gotta" like the guy when, to me at least, he's a bigger dork and every bit as unlikeable as Tom Brady. That's all. If you like Peyton Manning, then fine, we can agree to disagree.

I don't like either one of them but I think it more jealousy because they win. If they were on the Bills I'd be happy as hell. Its kind of like if Shady was on another team some here that aren't know would be trashing him. I'm just watching to see how it affects the team suspension wise. Could care less about what he did off the field as a person.

great posting. If only to balance the table. Kravitz did a nice opinion piece right there.

Thanks .

Didn't read the article but allow me to say this. I have always disliked Peyton Manning. Between the college incident, the fact that he has openly cheated on his wife in both Indianapolis and Denver (whether they have an open relationship is still unclear), the fact that he has one of the bigger platforms of any athlete in the US and what does he do with his fame, wealth and power? Invest in a terribly sh***y fast food pizza chain owned by a complete douche, the HGH thing, etc. And then after winning the Super Bowl, do we even see his wife? Nope but he does manage to kiss said douche fast food pizza guy and then shill for a sh***y brewery that he's also invested in.

And all along, the narrative amongst Bills fans has always been "Brady, Brady, Brady, wah, wah, wah. What a loser, what a h**o, I hate Brady, blah, blah, but... but Peyton Manning- YOU gotta like Payton Manning, right?" Which of course, only goes to increase my disdain for the guy. Nope. Hate Peyton Manning. Decidedly more than Brady.

it almost unfair to jump in without all the data. especially when you have written an op ed bit yourself!

Edited by 3rdand12

great posting. If only to balance the table. Kravitz did a nice opinion piece right there.

Thanks .

it almost unfair to jump in without all the data. especially when you have written an op ed bit

I did just read the article and I think it's a good article. I think the race card is wildly overplayed in America in 2016 but I think it's blatantly applicable here.

Not offended per se, no of course not. It's just another reason that he's a huge dork. What offends me is that he is considered America's good ol' boy. Not like liberal white guy "I'm offended," it's more like it's insulting to my intelligence. And in that sense, I am also offended how everyone 'round these parts hates Tom Brady but was all "sure I'd love to see Peyton win one more and ride off into the sunset?" Why? The guy is a freaking dork. I wanted to see Thomas Davis win one. He coaches youth football with my cousin in Charlotte and from all accounts is a hell of a guy.

I like what Thomas Davis represents in character. But because you kinda know him you back him?

maybe just Maybe you had a beer with Peyton and dug into his good works you would like him too. I dunno how you form your opinions.