Scathing article in NYDN on Peyton Manning

YoloinOhio

I did just read the article and I think it's a good article. I think the race card is wildly overplayed in America in 2016 but I think it's blatantly applicable here.

Can you think of a black superstar athlete on a retirement tour getting praised by the media, who are all conveniently forgetting a settled sexual assault allegation over 10 yeas old?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what Thomas Davis represents in character. But because you kinda know him you back him?

maybe just Maybe you had a beer with Peyton and dug into his good works you would like him too. I dunno how you form your opinions.

Fine. "From what I know" then.

Can you think of a black superstar athlete on a retirement tour getting praised by the media, who are all conveniently forgetting a settled sexual assault allegation over 10 yeas old?

Ha. Believe me, I went to plenty of Nuggets-Lakers games in the wake of that and people did not let him forget about it. Very similar to Roethlisberger- at first you heard the "no means no" chants and after a decade or so, it kind of got swept under the rug. Much the same way it will for Patrick Kane if he stays out of trouble for a while. If anyone ever said that Kobe got treated unfairly by the fans or by the media, they would have been guilty of playing the race card when it wasn't applicable. Race card very much applicable in this situation. The article lays it out very neatly and cleanly actually.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Fine. "From what I know" then.

Ha. Believe me, I went to plenty of Nuggets-Lakers games in the wake of that and people did not let him forget about it. Very similar to Roethlisberger- at first you heard the "no means no" chants and after a decade or so, it kind of got swept under the rug. Much the same way it will for Patrick Kane if he stays out of trouble for a while. If anyone ever said that Kobe got treated unfairly by the fans or by the media, they would have been guilty of playing the race card when it wasn't applicable. Race card very much applicable in this situation. The article lays it out very neatly and cleanly actually.

While I fear I'm overtaking this topic, how does the article lay it out neatly and clearly? What other racial "case" do they compare it to? What double standard do they even attempt to prove?

As far as I know, and I am loath to reclick this "breaking story," the author lays out the accuser's case, and is bewildered that he knew nothing about it. He then plugs his own article on a racial double standard and attempts to link it to that, tangentially.

I saw no lay out of the race card. But maybe I missed a paragraph.

Edited by FireChan

1) the trainer knew Peyton was Archie's kid with all the resources that may involve, 2) the incident occurred in a training room where one other student athlete was sitting so the motives of the trainer and the other student have to be considered, 3) Manning had little to do with her (according to the article) until he first talked about her foul mouth, 4) She wanted to protect her reputation and the only way to do that is to implicate the choir boy Manning, 5) Settling with a pissed off plaintiff is often the most economical way to control damage of "the brand". Much like Kobe Bryant (alleged rape - settled) you shouldn't hear anything more of this until some arrogant, "look at me" journalist with a motive decided to re-open the "allegation" because he felt bad for Cam.

It is still an allegation which hasn't even met the civil litigation standard of "by a preponderance of the evidence" (ie. It is more likely than not that it occurred - 51% to 49% that it happened). Without seeing Manning's affidavit, witness affidavits for Manning, trainer's background, finances, everything...this article is nothing more than a hatchet job to discredit an otherwise respectable career.

Listen Ferg- I don't know what you think you know about law, and the finer inner workings of the legal system, but you must admit you are wrong... Peyton is guilty and this author just chose to disclose the shady business that the Manning family has conducted. Why can't we all see this for what it really is.... Maybe you and Mr. Boyst could crusade together!!!! Lol

forgot to sign it... ^ with love,

CC

Listen Ferg- I don't know what you think you know about law, and the finer inner workings of the legal system, but you must admit you are wrong... Peyton is guilty and this author just chose to disclose the shady business that the Manning family has conducted. Why can't we all see this for what it really is.... Maybe you and Mr. Boyst could crusade together!!!! Lol

forgot to sign it... ^ with love,

CC

I don't know Cletus. I read somewhere that the civil lawsuit standard first requires a court to instruct a jury what evidence is admissable (relevant, non-hearsay, circumstantial, etc) and then, whether a jury (or judge in the case of a bench trial) finds it is more likely than not that something occurred to jeapordize her career attributable to Manning (or if the incident in the training room occurred). I haven't read the trial transcript or the depositions of Manning or his witnesses....not sure if those would be helpful in writing this article. I need to do some more research apparently.

I have posted this before on here and some people mocked it, but I will post this again. I have friends who work in the NFL in broadcast...from NFL Network, to ESPN, to local coverage media, etc. And I have heard from many of them that its a wide spread known fact behind the scenes that Manning has a sex addiction life that rivals what Tiger Woods was. Its also widely believed that his wife is aware and has her own fun on the side in their open marriage. He has an apartment in Indianapolis he keeps for his regular call girls to stay. Its known amongst the inner circle of journalism, but its never reported on. Just like Woods had a lifestyle that was known internally, but it wasnt until the incident with his wife that brought it out officially in the media.

I noticed many in this thread are playing the race card and stuff and debating race. I can tell you that the media kept quiet about Tiger Woods too until something brought the story out. People knew, but his Icon status and lack of direct, hard evidence kept them from really going after the story. No one wanted to be responsible for going after Tigers reputation and not being able to unquestionably substantiate it, he was way too important and beloved. So it was ignored for the most part.

The same thing is true for Peyton. Its something thats been known on the inner circles, but the respect for him, his iconic status and lack of anything to truly substantiate what was known kept people at bay. So while I get why people have been talking race because how Peyton and Cam are both being treated differently, this side of Mannings life had less to do with the fact that he is white, and more to do with the fact that he's an Icon with a squeaky clean image that everyone in the industry loves, especially in media. They did the same thing for Tiger Woods who is Black, so its not a race thing. They protected Michael Jordan quite a bit too when he had a terrible gambling issue (some say that led to the death of his father) would punch teammates, belittle teammates...but his Iconic status rose to such prominence that no one wanted to focus on any of that. Most were small stories at best.

And the final thing is that the sexual assault case in college was BEFORE social media existed for the most part. If that case happened in the modern day era, there would be no escaping it.

And finally...even though I stated that I don't see the Manning thing as it being racial...there is a HUGE racial biased in media. And Cam is a good example, but the best example from the SB had nothing to do with the players. Beyonce caught fire for the Black Panther tribute outfits...yet NONE of the Country Music people, Kid Rock, Rock bands, etc that fly the confederate flag in their concerts, albums, media, etc get ANY flack for it. Black Panthers didn't stand for racism either, they were fighting for the rights of their oppressed people. The confederate flag is NOT even the confederate flag...it was a battle flag. It became known as the confederate flag when they formed the political group the Dixiecrat Party in 1948 and it was there symbol and flag. The Dixiecrat party was formed to fight to have segregation and to keep lynching legal...and its a flag often flown by the KKK. But somehow, white bands in rock and country flying this flag, wearing it as clothes, etc doesn't get reported on as a racial issue, but Beyonce having the Black Panthers who fought for their rights somehow does?

I have posted this before on here and some people mocked it, but I will post this again. I have friends who work in the NFL in broadcast...from NFL Network, to ESPN, to local coverage media, etc. And I have heard from many of them that its a wide spread known fact behind the scenes that Manning has a sex addiction life that rivals what Tiger Woods was. Its also widely believed that his wife is aware and has her own fun on the side in their open marriage. He has an apartment in Indianapolis he keeps for his regular call girls to stay. Its known amongst the inner circle of journalism, but its never reported on. Just like Woods had a lifestyle that was known internally, but it wasnt until the incident with his wife that brought it out officially in the media.

I noticed many in this thread are playing the race card and stuff and debating race. I can tell you that the media kept quiet about Tiger Woods too until something brought the story out. People knew, but his Icon status and lack of direct, hard evidence kept them from really going after the story. No one wanted to be responsible for going after Tigers reputation and not being able to unquestionably substantiate it, he was way too important and beloved. So it was ignored for the most part.

The same thing is true for Peyton. Its something thats been known on the inner circles, but the respect for him, his iconic status and lack of anything to truly substantiate what was known kept people at bay. So while I get why people have been talking race because how Peyton and Cam are both being treated differently, this side of Mannings life had less to do with the fact that he is white, and more to do with the fact that he's an Icon with a squeaky clean image that everyone in the industry loves, especially in media. They did the same thing for Tiger Woods who is Black, so its not a race thing. They protected Michael Jordan quite a bit too when he had a terrible gambling issue (some say that led to the death of his father) would punch teammates, belittle teammates...but his Iconic status rose to such prominence that no one wanted to focus on any of that. Most were small stories at best.

And the final thing is that the sexual assault case in college was BEFORE social media existed for the most part. If that case happened in the modern day era, there would be no escaping it.

And finally...even though I stated that I don't see the Manning thing as it being racial...there is a HUGE racial biased in media. And Cam is a good example, but the best example from the SB had nothing to do with the players. Beyonce caught fire for the Black Panther tribute outfits...yet NONE of the Country Music people, Kid Rock, Rock bands, etc that fly the confederate flag in their concerts, albums, media, etc get ANY flack for it. Black Panthers didn't stand for racism either, they were fighting for the rights of their oppressed people. The confederate flag is NOT even the confederate flag...it was a battle flag. It became known as the confederate flag when they formed the political group the Dixiecrat Party in 1948 and it was there symbol and flag. The Dixiecrat party was formed to fight to have segregation and to keep lynching legal...and its a flag often flown by the KKK. But somehow, white bands in rock and country flying this flag, wearing it as clothes, etc doesn't get reported on as a racial issue, but Beyonce having the Black Panthers who fought for their rights somehow does?

Common knowledge here in Denver as well. He will literally be at a steakhouse and just ask random girls to come back to his hotel later with seemingly no concern whatsoever that people will talk about it. I was blown away when I heard this and then the girls who told me were shocked that I didn't know about it already. Then I googled it and it appears that everybody in Indianapolis knew about it as well. What does it say that so few people in other markets are aware of it? It means, as Chan mentioned earlier, that the guy has an incredible PR team.

Common knowledge here in Denver as well. He will literally be at a steakhouse and just ask random girls to come back to his hotel later with seemingly no concern whatsoever that people will talk about it. I was blown away when I heard this and then the girls who told me were shocked that I didn't know about it already. Then I googled it and it appears that everybody in Indianapolis knew about it as well. What does it say that so few people in other markets are aware of it? It means, as Chan mentioned earlier, that the guy has an incredible PR team.

I don't really care, personally. If he's in an open relationship, it doesn't bother me.

Not only has the Confederate flag been a hot button issue in recent years, but when is the last time you saw it in the Super Bowl?

The media writes about race all the time because it sells. It's why they can write an artcile about one person in Carolina writing a nutty letter to Cam, and then prop it up as though a significant population of folks hates him because he's black. That's how you get clicks and headlines.

It's nonsense and white noise used by the media to further generate things to talk about. They perpetuate themselves. And as long as the country has a love affair with allegations of racism, it will never go away.

Edited by FireChan

I don't know Cletus. I read somewhere that the civil lawsuit standard first requires a court to instruct a jury what evidence is admissable (relevant, non-hearsay, circumstantial, etc) and then, whether a jury (or judge in the case of a bench trial) finds it is more likely than not that something occurred to jeapordize her career attributable to Manning (or if the incident in the training room occurred). I haven't read the trial transcript or the depositions of Manning or his witnesses....not sure if those would be helpful in writing this article. I need to do some more research apparently.

Where'd you learn that Cheech, drug school?

You covered alot of territory here but the confederate flag, reputation as a guy who likes women and having an "open marriage" still doesn't establish whether the incident occurred in the 90's. I understand your opinion and the fact you have "inside information" is valuable, but do any of the contacts you reference have any idea what happened in that room 20 years ago? If not, how can a story today which relies on one set of documents (plaintiff) be used to discredit an athlete without hearing the defense case any more than those who implicate Jordan's gambling with the death of his father? It's speculative at best without the entire trial transcript (IMO).

Where'd you learn that Cheech, drug school?

I read it in People magazine during the Michael Jackson coverage. I watch Court TV too. Edited by BringBackFergy

I don't really care, personally. If he's in an open relationship, it doesn't bother me.

Not only has the Confederate flag been a hot button issue in recent years, but when is the last time you saw it in the Super Bowl?

The media writes about race all the time because it sells. It's why they can write an artcile about one person in Carolina writing a nutty letter to Cam, and then prop it up as though a significant population of folks hates him because he's black. That's how you get clicks and headlines.

It's nonsense and white noise used by the media to further generate things to talk about. They perpetuate themselves. And as long as the country has a love affair with allegations of racism, it will never go away.

Again, I don't care either. I ONLY CARE about it because he is widely regarded as white America's good ol' boy and because it annoys me how everyone's always like "well ya gotta like Manning." If it was Andy Dalton, I wouldn't be talking about it right now.

Again, I don't care either. I ONLY CARE about it because he is widely regarded as white America's good ol' boy and because it annoys me how everyone's always like "well ya gotta like Manning." If it was Andy Dalton, I wouldn't be talking about it right now.

That's the second time I've noticed you using this racial derogatory phrase. Please stop

You a very sheltered if you think the race card is played too much.

Why is race even brought into this conversation? In my opinion, it is overplayed. But it's not even relevant to the point of this thread: the way I see it, the question is whether a story implicating PM in a one-sided narrative should erase 20+ yrs of QB play without knowing how the trial played out (where is the trial transcript or the jury verdict?). If it was a response to warranted criticism of Cam's on-field play (didn't jump on fumble, post game moping, etc), then the article goes beyond athletic criticism and has one goal: hurt PM with old allegations which have never been substantiated.