Patriots want Mario Williams

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be a question as to where he ends up but not how he'll do.

He'll do well next year provided he is not asked to cover Odell Beckham. About 28 of the 32 teams are smart enough to let him rush the passer. Sadly we are not one of them.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

I was watching the superbowl announcers (Simms and Nantz) praise Wade for dropping Ware and Co. back into coverage to "confuse" Cam...

I was watching the superbowl announcers (Simms and Nantz) praise Wade for dropping Ware and Co. back into coverage to "confuse" Cam...

Do people realize that Ware and Miller are LBs? Mario Williams is a big man at 6'6" 290. Whereas I'd venture to say Miller and Ware are at most 260. As a result they are probably tad more athletic. If look at Wade's defenses through the years he's been at his best with 3-4 type personnel, see Bryce Paup in Buffalo, Ware in Dallas/Denver and Miller in Denver. Mario had some success in Wade defense in Houston but left there because he didn't want to play OLB in Wade's scheme.

Edited by The Jokeman

Do people realize that Ware and Miller are LBs? Mario Williams is a big man at 6'6" 290. Whereas I'd venture to say Miller and Ware are at most 260. As a result they are probably tad more athletic. If look at Wade's defenses through the years he's been at his best with 3-4 type personnel, see Bryce Paup in Buffalo, Ware in Dallas/Denver and Miller in Denver. Mario had some success in Wade defense in Houston but left there because he didn't want to play OLB in Wade's scheme.

How much does that guy who intercepted the ball while in coverage weigh.

kony something something i think? Did we not have Mario listed as a LB one year?

Edited by 3rdand12

Mario is still rubbing his eyes trying to figure out how all the Dlineman dropping in coverage last night on the two best teams in the league actually made plays. I doubt Belichik is interested unless he comes pretty cheap and he can play him situationally, since he has film of him from last year.

Exactly!!! They made plays because they wanted to. They bought into the system and played 100% on his snaps. something Mario didnt do for us last season.

It also helps when you have one of the best DC's the game has ever had in charge.

Yes. Agree

Exactly!!! They made plays because they wanted to. They bought into the system and played 100% on his snaps. something Mario didnt do for us last season.

So what were the other players not named Darby doing on a regular basis. Have you totally bought into the spin that MarioW was to blame for the failings of the defense ? Yes he underperformed. But he was not the only one, more than one occasion the unit as a whole looked out of position.

Yes. Agree

So what were the other players not named Darby doing on a regular basis. Have you totally bought into the spin that MarioW was to blame for the failings of the defense ? Yes he underperformed. But he was not the only one, more than one occasion the unit as a whole looked out of position.

I did not say that at all. Do I gotta quote myself? I said Ealy bought into the system and played in coverage like he WANTED to. which in turn made him play better. blaming the season on Mario Williams attitude issues would be really stupid. If you look through my posts on this board you would see im very anti-rex as a DC. The whole defense was a mess didnt know what they were doing half the time. that falls on the DC, and in this case Rex not making the scheme easier for his players to understand. Great DCs mold their scheme to fit their players strengths. Rex did not, so instead of beefing up our O Line and getting Tyrod a dangerous WR2, with a really good Safety through the draft we gotta get Rex "his guys". Marios attitude as a veteran pro-bowler playing half ass didnt help at all. I dont want him off the team. Id like Rex & company off the team, keep kromer, roman, Mario and bring back Schwartz but miracles like that dont happen. Also IDK if its Rex's or Dougs responsibility to replace Spikes and Searcy but wheover it is !@#$ed up bad cuz they never replaced them. smh.

Good things Rex has done for Buffalo this season...

#1. Tyrod Taylor

#2. Ronald Darby

#3. Karlos Williams

#4. john Miller (still has to improve more then 1 & 2)

#5. the 2nd Pats game, game plan.

and #s 2,3,4 are questionable cuz those cud have been all Whaley

other then that...

Edited by Marty McFly

96 career sacks so far. If Mario goes to New England I believe he'll have a few Randy Moss-like seasons where he gets 10 plus sacks and then he'll be shipped out of town where he'll play his final few seasons for a pretender like Atlanta or Dallas. Mario has been solid in Buffalo outside of '15 and you have to wonder if that has more to do with Rex than anything.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how the Panthers used Kony Ealy in the Super Bowl. He had 3 sacks, but they still dropped him into coverage. He accepted his role and also got an INT to go with his 3 sacks.

This. the Kony Ealy pick is exactly the kind of play the Rex defense creates. Confusion is the rule.

So I did this before as this topic has been brought up. These are the teams with the most cap space, and I think only the Raiders, Bears, and 49ers run a 3-4. The rest of these teams are the most likely to sign him as all would benefit from an edge rusher. i'm biased, but would love to see him in Tampa. He's keep more of his money as we have no state tax, the weather is great, and a beautiful place to live. These would be pluses for him. The Bucs would benefit from a great rusher next to Gerald McCoy, and would allow Lavonte David even more room to play sideline to sideline. The Giants don't usually spend a lot of money on free agents.

Jags

Raiders

49ers

Bears

Bucs

Giants

Titans

Lastly, the Patriots will not go after him. They have no money. They are the 4th worst against the cap. BTW, we are second worst.