I truly thought our D would look like Denvers

What Denver have proved this season is that you can still win the Superbowl without a Quarterback. I believe Denver's QB play out of both Manning and Brock this year has been among the worst in the NFL.

Why do you believe that? (Just wanting to understand your viewpoint as a basis for discussion)

I can certainly agree it shows an elite D and a meh offense can still win a championship. Take that, Brian Billick.

I'm not sure I'd agree "amoung the worst in the NFL". I'd go with "mediocre at best, with flashes of abysmal from Manning." But he also has flashes of smart to balance it off, cool play where he reads the D correctly and makes the play. As he put it "I'm not the lead singer any more, but I've still got a tune or two in me". That 2 point conversion was a thing of beauty.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The DLine made our LBs jobs a lot easier in 2014.

However, Rex made our DLine a shell of what it was.

The more I watched this game the more I seethed at what Rex did to our defense. What Wade Phillips did wasn't brilliant---it was simply fundamentally sound. He took the talent he had, especially on the DL, and he allowed them to focus on what they did well i.e. attack. The defenders stayed in their lanes to stifle the run but the focal point for the defense was to rush the qb and put pressure on him. Common sense 101.

What Rex did was not only devise a strategy to undercut his defense's strength, the same defense that excelled for two different DCs, he used a strategy that exposed our LBs limitations to a greater extent. Or another way of putting it Rex minimized our strengths and maximized our vulnerabilities.(as noted by PTR) How stupid can you get?

What's even more aggravating is that Rex had the opportunity to hire Pettine as hs DC or put him on the staff. to work with the defense. Instead he hires his frequently fired brother. Pettine worked with Rex in NY. So they had a relationship.

So what's next? We wait for this cycle of incompetence to run it's course and then start over. The hiring of Rex was worse than a bad hire, it was a peculiar hire. For the Rex defenders I have one recommendation: Watch the games before Rex and after Rex. If you can't see what is so obvious then you are blind or delusional.

Wade Phillips is a bore when comparing personalities to the demonstrative Rex. When it comes to coaching Rex is a pygmy compared to the low-key Phillips. In the end substance always trumps style. When you hire a huckster you get a huckster!

Why do you believe that? (Just wanting to understand your viewpoint as a basis for discussion)

I can certainly agree it shows an elite D and a meh offense can still win a championship. Take that, Brian Billick.

I'm not sure I'd agree "amoung the worst in the NFL". I'd go with "mediocre at best, with flashes of abysmal from Manning." But he also has flashes of smart to balance it off, cool play where he reads the D correctly and makes the play. As he put it "I'm not the lead singer any more, but I've still got a tune or two in me". That 2 point conversion was a thing of beauty.

Because I have watched a lot of Denver games. I haven't seen either of them have a really good game all year. The numbers tend to back it up too. Whilst not arguing that either is a perfect metric...

In total QBR:

Brock was 24th out of 33 qualified

Manning was 28th out of 33 qualified

In passer rating:

Brock was the 37th ranked passer

Manning was the 63rd ranked passer

They were both awful this year. People who haven't watched the Denver games might think "Ah they couldn't have been that bad... the team was 12-4..." Yea, it was. Thank Wade Phillips and that defense for their winning record and for their ring. Give the Broncos the Bills defense this year they are 4-12.

Manning - 59.8% completion - 9 TDs - 17 INTs

Brock - 61.8% completion - 10 TDs - 6 INTs

That means their overall Quarterback play for the year is roughly 60% completion percentage - 19 TDs and 23 INTs. That is easily bottom quarter of the league.

Wade pretty much Schwartzed the Denver D. He just lets his pass rushers get after the QB and let's his DBs use simple coverages to take out opposing WRs. He let the talent and speed of the D shine without them being hesitant because they are unsure what they're doing. It works wonders when you have all that talent.

And as for the Bills' average LB talent, I don't disagree, but nobody was saying Brown was horrible when he was calling the plays - as a rookie - for the Bills D last year. Then, suddenly, he gets an extremely complex D to run and he looks bad. The LBs were consistently late getting to the ball, the D looked confused pre-snap more often than not. I don't think it's coincidence. I'm not ready to throw Brown into the trash heap just yet.

I'm not a "Rex has go go!" guy but without some team leaders both at LB and in the secondary who had already run Rex's D it was unlikely to be a smooth transition. It seems pretty obvious now, not sure how we didn't see it before the season. Year 2 can't be any worse (can it?) but the last thing I want is a brand new LB calling the plays who has never run this D before.

I'm not ready to throw Brown into the trash heap just yet.

Nor me. I saw it with my own eyes at Wembley. The linebackers were being asked to do too much in a system they were not comfortable with. Ray Lewis might be able to diagnose every play pre-snap and get the defense in position but Bradham and Brown were trying their best and being asked to cover far too much ground. They are not Ray Lewis but they are NOT terrible. In fact they demonstrated in 2014 in the right scheme they are actually rather good.

Rex Ryan is a jackass. This was a playoff-caliber defense he just torpedoed. And with Tyrod playing better than anyone had thought, the Bills were a team that could have done some damage in the playoffs in a weak conference.

I watched the post-season this year with a permanent scowl on my face. We should have been there.

People look at this circus and have a right to be upset. Rex was the one who promised a "bully," right?

And really, I don't care so much about what these guys say. I did however have to watch a great defense crumble, and now they hired yet another buffoon to rub salt in a rather deep wound.

Sure, the OP is pissed at how Rex hurt this team. I fail to see how this could anger, let alone surprise anyone.

I agree...the Mouth that Roared is nothing but a big windbag.

Bring in his dopey brother and you have the making of a historic FAILURE on D...I still shake my head that we had the makings of a of Top 5 D and this Buffoon destroys the D with Thurman walking around like a blind YES man. You that back Rex will be SORRY come the end of next season as the destruction will be complete, then I want you to come back to this board and ask for an apology...as I WILL be proven right...sadly..The Denver D showed what it takes and we HAD the pieces just not the leader. I wouldnt buy into Rex BS either...What has he really done in his career?? All in the past and got lucky with Sanchize those 2 years...

I'm not buying into his crap one iota any more...And as to you who will start whining about continuity...Screw that, what embrace continuity as mediocrity?...why would you settle for that??

Not me, I want to freaking finally win and win consistently!!

People look at this circus and have a right to be upset. Rex was the one who promised a "bully," right?

And really, I don't care so much about what these guys say. I did however have to watch a great defense crumble, and now they hired yet another buffoon to rub salt in a rather deep wound.

Sure, the OP is pissed at how Rex hurt this team. I fail to see how this could anger, let alone surprise anyone.

Its been....one......year

You mean those same LBs that looked like some of the best in the league in 2014?....Before Rex got here?

Best in the league? We might be able to say that about our DL in '14, but our LBs haven't looked even close to best in years.

They were decent, nothing more.

GO BILLS!!!

This was not an anti rex post. I was just stating what i believe most of us thought which was our defense would be dominant going in to the 2015 season. I think many of us even while watching the game were left scratching our head wondering what the hell was going on.

This was not an anti rex post. I was just stating what i believe most of us thought which was our defense would be dominant going in to the 2015 season. I think many of us even while watching the game were left scratching our head wondering what the hell was going on.

Denver's front seven out talents Buffalo's by a mile. Same thing for their Safeties. Only CB is close in comparison.

Gotta say i looked at the way Ware was being used last night and thought, dang why didn't we use Mario that way?

Having said that, Denver has much more talent at LB. Hughes is a poor man Von Miller. Hughes can not cover a WR like Miller now can he create constant pressure as Miller did. Dareus might be better than anything Denver has interior wise. Wolfe and Williams seem similar in play(not just because they are fat white guys). Our CB's are better. Safeties are a push when healthy. They seemed to play better as a unit for sure. More confident and attacking vs reading and reacting. I really think the Bills are very very close to what Denver has. I wish Rex could take Mario to a steak dinner or go hunting with him and the two get on the same page. Rework Mario's deal and get him back to being who he is. Attacking end who can also hold down the edge on runs.

This wasn't the case in 2014. Linebackers? Yes.

But, our front four was among the best in the league, if not the best...Then we hir...well I'll leave it at that.

2014 has nothing to do with last season where Kyle and Aaron both missed a good chunk of games and Mario quit on the team. Quite a few factors combined to contribute to the fall off in defensive production, but let's not act as if the defense stunk in every game. Also, let's not act as if the 2014 D shut down every opponent in a dominant fashion.