I truly thought our D would look like Denvers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we are really comparing defenses and we believe it's Dennis Thurmond calling the plays, it's WP>DT. Rex created some pretty good defensive schemes for The Ravens and New Jersey.

That being said

Wade is the greatest defensive mind in football today

what he did to the Pats and Panthers was genius. Chan should have hired him instead of Wandstat

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Wade Phillips > Rex Ryan

^ this. what he said x 10. Rexs contract may destroy our team and all the good talent we have might leave or waste their prime years playing for a HC whos just not good.

Kyle missed the last 9 games. The pass rush was non existent before that.

What does Aaron Williams have to do with the pass rush?

And Mario Williams clearly quit because he didn't like what was being asked of him.

AND MARIO WILLIAMS WILL SIGN WITH THE PATS* this will haunt us...

I think every Bills fan out there thought this years Bills defense would be just as special as Denver's defense. Hence, the most season tickets sold in the history of the franchise in 2015.

Gonna be interesting to see what Russ Brandon will cook up to serve this steaming pile of dog crap again to Bills fans in 2016.

I can only think that many, many fans are unhappy with what happened to that #4 overall defense in 2014 that led the league in sacks. Now this year Super Mario will likely be gone so the pass rush will really have a reason to be bad.

Good job WREX!

if we are really comparing defenses and we believe it's Dennis Thurmond calling the plays, it's WP>DT. Rex created some pretty good defensive schemes for The Ravens and New Jersey.

That being said

Easier to look brilliant when you have an amazing DLine. They gobbled up the running game and made Cam look like EJ. Edited by Kemp

Kyle missed the last 9 games. The pass rush was non existent before that.

What does Aaron Williams have to do with the pass rush?

And Mario Williams clearly quit because he didn't like what was being asked of him.

No question that there were a few factors that contributed to the fall of the defense. However, the underlining reason is clear as day. Rex tried to fix what wasn't broken and it ultimately led to players not buying in and some quitting(namely Mario). Again, why is this so hard for people to admit?

There is nothing to compare between 2014 to the defense of 2015.

1st to 31st in sacks WITH THE SAME FRONT FOUR. Rex's ego was more important then winning.

Aaron Williams absence had an impact on the overall performance of the defense which is the subject of the discussion. Is pass rush the only aspect of an NFL defense?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You think Aaron Williams injury was that big of a reason why the defense was a shell of what it was in 2014?

Aaron Williams was out there when Tom Brady dropped almost 500 yards passing on the defense in week 2. He was acting like a complete moron along the way.

And my point was the pass rush and overall front four play was the reason our defense was so dominate in 2014. Aaron Williams had nothing to do with this.

The great defense was lit up by Brady in 2014. Explain that!

You're right.

The injury to Aaron Williams injury was the reason the defense fell off a cliff this year.

Absolutely a contributing factor. But go on with your end of the world exaggerations because they were terrible in every game and were exposed by all opponents in 2015 with zero success.

Brown and Bradham most certainly don't suck. In Schwartz's D they were putting the hurt on other people. Brown was a fantastic rookie LB playing virutally every snap on D, he was also the guy responsible to communicate the playcalling.

I remember some really great hits by Brown filling the gaps against the run and he really surprised people when he looked comfortable in coverage (2 ints)

The key that year was that they were in position to make plays, wether that was from fluid communication, coaching and scheme or all three combined.

I hated what Ryan did to defense this year, lack of common sense, bad communication and what's more important lack of humility to realize that the defense was superb as it was.

Who do you guys envision replacing Mario Williams? Is that guy on the roster? If he is, who is it?

The great defense was lit up by Brady in 2014. Explain that!

Yes, the 2014 Buffalo Bills were beaten ONCE by the team that went to and won the super bowl in 2014. Brady had all of his weapons in that game and foolishly the Buffalo offense under OC Mr Can't Hackett tried to outshoot Brady with Kyle Orton.

Because the Bills weren't able to establish any kind of a running attack in that 2014 game their drives in that game went like this...PUNT, PUNT, INTERCEPTION, PUNT, TD, FUMBLE, PUNT, FUMBLE, TD, PUNT, TD, DOWNS.

Still, the 2014 defense in that game was way better than the 2015 defense against NE which allowed a franchise-worst 466 most yards passing by a single player in the 50+ year history of the franchise under Wrex!

However, In the second game against the Patriots in 2014 Brady only went 8 of 16 for 80 yards with no TD's in the first half and sacked once before he was pulled to save his rear end for the playoffs. Go ahead, try and diminish the fact that the Buffalo Bills beat the Patriots in New England for the first time since 2000, yea, that's right,14 years!

I really love how Bills fans try and diminish how good that 2014 defense was by throwing out the bad games they lost that year. There are three dimensions to a team, offense, defense, and ST's. The 2014 offense was another year of hurry up and punt under Hackett which left the defense out on the field much to much to be really effective in some games.

Wrex Ryan sucks and he took a playoff caliber defense and ruined it by forcing the players into a scheme that didn't fit what they do best! Wrex, the square peg into a round hole type of guy.

Jim Schwartz was able to take those same players and elevate their play so much that three of the four D-linemen made the pro bowl and Jerry Hughes with his 10 sacks should have been right there with them. All Wrex managed to do was make those same pro bowl D-linemen look below average most of the season in his scheme that wasn't working.

The reality is the only games Wrex Ryan won this past year were against bad or rookie QB's, new coachings staffs or in games he actually put in the effort to win because of revenge. That's what you get when a team hires a 4-12 head coach.

Yes, the 2014 Buffalo Bills were beaten ONCE by the team that went to and won the super bowl in 2014. Brady had all of his weapons in that game and foolishly the Buffalo offense under OC Mr Can't Hackett tried to outshoot Brady with Kyle Orton.

Because the Bills weren't able to establish any kind of a running attack in that 2014 game their drives in that game went like this...PUNT, PUNT, INTERCEPTION, PUNT, TD, FUMBLE, PUNT, FUMBLE, TD, PUNT, TD, DOWNS.

Still, the 2014 defense in that game was way better than the 2015 defense against NE which allowed a franchise-worst 466 most yards passing by a single player in the 50+ year history of the franchise under Wrex!

However, In the second game against the Patriots in 2014 Brady only went 8 of 16 for 80 yards with no TD's in the first half and sacked once before he was pulled to save his rear end for the playoffs. Go ahead, try and diminish the fact that the Buffalo Bills beat the Patriots in New England for the first time since 2000, yea, that's right,14 years!

I really love how Bills fans try and diminish how good that 2014 defense was by throwing out the bad games they lost that year. There are three dimensions to a team, offense, defense, and ST's. The 2014 offense was another year of hurry up and punt under Hackett which left the defense out on the field much to much to be really effective in some games.

Wrex Ryan sucks and he took a playoff caliber defense and ruined it by forcing the players into a scheme that didn't fit what they do best! Wrex, the square peg into a round hole type of guy.

Jim Schwartz was able to take those same players and elevate their play so much that three of the four D-linemen made the pro bowl and Jerry Hughes with his 10 sacks should have been right there with them. All Wrex managed to do was make those same pro bowl D-linemen look below average most of the season in his scheme that wasn't working.

The reality is the only games Wrex Ryan won this past year were against bad or rookie QB's, new coachings staffs or in games he actually put in the effort to win because of revenge. That's what you get when a team hires a 4-12 head coach.

When are the Colts cutting Andrew Luck? :lol:

What am I exaggerating?

Yes Aaron along with the other injuries contributed. The defense wasn't horrible. It was slightly below average which IS horrible considering where they were a year ago.

Yes there were other contributing factors, but my point is Rex is the main culprit for why the defense fell off.

Your commentary on here is on the level of existential, catastrophic irrevocable failure by the defense as if it was all on Rex and that certainly seems like an exaggeration to me.

When are the Colts cutting Andrew Luck? :lol:

I purposely left off that season opener against the Colts because I knew you couldn't resist...

That defense we saw against the Colts is exactly what the world expected from Wrex in 2015 and instead, most of the rest of the games last season were more like that first Patriots game with almost no pressure on the QB whatsoever!!

Wrex Ryan stunk it up most of the 2015 season and only had his defense play well when he actually cared about winning the game. That last game of the season and against his old team that fired him with so many Bills players out injured is a perfect example of that.

It's not just Bills fans that think this way as most of the rest of NFL fans see it this way too. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/bills-defense-has-taken-a-big-step-back-under-rex-ryan/

"This year, Ryan’s first season as head coach of the Bills, his defense has taken an enormous step backward."

"We could go on all day with stats like this: Across the board, the Bills’ defense is worse with Ryan than it was before Ryan arrived. Add in the fact that the Jets’ defense has gotten better this season under Todd Bowles than it was last season with Ryan, and the conclusion is clear: Ryan isn’t quite the defensive genius he’s made out to be."

What I don't get is why some Buffalo Bills fans are so adamant about defending a turd just because he is still employed by the team. Why? Just because he is "our'' turd? After Ryan is fired and I'm 100% positive that will happen sometime during next season or shortly after I'm fairly certain the tunes defending him will change then.

I purposely left off that season opener against the Colts because I knew you couldn't resist...

That defense we saw against the Colts is exactly what the world expected from Wrex in 2015 and instead, most of the rest of the games last season were more like that first Patriots game with almost no pressure on the QB whatsoever!!

Wrex Ryan stunk it up most of the 2015 season and only had his defense play well when he actually cared about winning the game. That last game of the season and against his old team that fired him with so many Bills players out injured is a perfect example of that.

It's not just Bills fans that think this way as most of the rest of NFL fans see it this way too. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/bills-defense-has-taken-a-big-step-back-under-rex-ryan/

"This year, Ryan’s first season as head coach of the Bills, his defense has taken an enormous step backward."

"We could go on all day with stats like this: Across the board, the Bills’ defense is worse with Ryan than it was before Ryan arrived. Add in the fact that the Jets’ defense has gotten better this season under Todd Bowles than it was last season with Ryan, and the conclusion is clear: Ryan isn’t quite the defensive genius he’s made out to be."

What I don't get is why some Buffalo Bills fans are so adamant about defending a turd just because he is still employed by the team. Why? Just because he is "our'' turd? After Ryan is fired and I'm 100% positive that will happen sometime during next season or shortly after I'm fairly certain the tunes defending him will change then.

The great football gurus at profootballtalk are your source. :lol: :lol: Rex's defense beat those sorry ass Jets twice. Now get around that. :D

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That being said

Belichick is better. Wade has great players right now.

The great football gurus at profootballtalk are your source. :lol: :lol: Rex's defense beat those sorry ass Jets twice. Now get around that. :D

I was just showing that more than just Bills fans think the team took a big step backward with Wrex Ryan as you just don't seem to get that fact. Attempting to deflect away from the fact that Ryan made the defense worse by stating that PFT isn't an elite source. Well, how about some other sources?

SB Nation- "In that 8-8 season, the Bills' defense fell massively short of expectations"

ESPN- Why they're here: A talent-laded mystery, the Bills are a top-12 team if Rex Ryan rediscovers his magic touch on the defensive side of the ball -- the Bills were one of the NFL's top defenses in 2014 and fell off a cliff in 2015

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14697433/panthers-patriots-lead-2016-way-too-early-nfl-power-rankings

I can find more outside sources that think the 2015 Bills defense took a drastic step backward if you like.

Jim Schwartz also beat the NY Jets twice with Ryan as head coach of the Jets. In that second game against the Bills, Ryan stated that his team would play 1000% better with Mike Vick starting and they lost 38 to 3. Complete humiliation and he clearly lost his Jets team along the way that season. Ryan already lost some of the Bills defensive line players in 2015 and I can only wonder how long is it before he loses the entire team again.

The more important point here is that the Buffalo Bills are in the same division as the New England Patriots who have been about the best team in the NFL for as long as the Bills have been bad! The last time the Patriots had a losing season was way back in 2000 and in all that time since they have been to six super bowls while winning four.

The Buffalo Bills need a head coach that will make the team better and not try and force his players to fit his schemes. In order to beat the best you have to be the best and Ryan isn't even close to that level of competence. The Bills got exactly what they hired in a 4-12 coach who made his area of expertise worse.