Wade vs Rex

Mikie2times

I won't hold that against him anymore. That's a tough one. Defying the owner isn't a good career path either. Ancient history, but if I could chose between the two guys today....no brainier for me.

He still got fired after another season anyway. He knew Flutie had the best chance to win and caved in. Tough spot to be in for a coach but he lost his balls and shitted on the QB that game managed them to a playoff entrance. Flutie plays his heart out for the team and Wade lets Ralph B word slap him 2nd hand.

Edited by Marty McFly

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall anyone running Wade out of town but when a coach openly concedes the season when it was far from over and before a national TV audience to boot, it was evident his time was short. You can excuse his gaffe because we were "injured and limping" but I would argue that's precisely when a coach can't give up on the season. Hard to maintain faith after that. Especially when the Colts went on to qualify for the playoffs after winning that night. He proclaimed they were out of it, too. Wade looked lost, beaten, and ready for a rest.

Hindsight affords us the luxury of saying we should have kept Wade over what came next, but that's too easy.

And John Butler deserved to go after stringing the organization along for months. Nice that he leveraged that into a deal with the Chargers. Especially after the cap hell his personnel decisions left us in, too.

GO BILLS!!!

OK.

I agree, it was a dumb thing to say and the fact that the Colts made the postseason made him look especially foolish. Wade also mishandled the QB controversy and wasn't enough of a disciplinarian when they needed one. But that 2000 team didn't run for the bus as I recall — I remember the last game of the year pretty well when Flutie got to play his last game as a Bill, blowing out Seattle in a meaningless game but a heck of a show.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't think Wade was perfect, but he didn't lose the team, and he had plenty of good qualities on display even then that he shouldn't have been fired.

And yeah, this is hindsight, but it's also applying that lesson to the current situation because Rex and Wade have a lot of noted similarities.

Wade got us double digit wins and into the playoffs and gets fired the next yr. And we haven't been back since. Go figure

leave it back in the ridiculous RW days of the 2000s .. gotta leave that crap era behind, new ownership now, new real coaches, new real players. leave the past in the past

as I recall, he wouldn't fire his buddy he hired to coach ST, the replacement for dehaven. Ralph wanted him fired, and wade wouldn't do it.

This was the major key. The Bills ST was the worst in NFL history and Wilson wanted the ST coach replaced, but he was a friend of Wade so he refused. So Wilson canned him.

Just an example of how emotional and impulsive fans can be with this stuff.

Wade was run out of Buffalo because of a gaffe he made during an interview segment on Monday Night Football. The Bills were injured and limping but still technically in the playoff hunt but Wade said they were probably out of it. They finished 8-8 that year and he was let go.

The better option would have been for Wade to stay put, learn his lesson about not sticking your foot in your mouth, and continue on. But no, Wade was fired along with John Butler and in came Tom Donahoe and Greggo and the drought began.

I remember endless complaints here about the fact that Wade did not wear headphones on the sidelines during the games, so he must be a terrible coach.

That "meaningless" game at the end of the 1999 season the Bills beat the crap out of the Colts (31-6 was the score), who were 13-2 at that point and fighting for home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Bills offense had been strugging for weeks under Flutie and looked better in that game than it had all season. That was why, "inexplicably" they started Rob Johnson in the playoff game against Tennessee, the top rated team in the AFC that year.

I remember endless complaints here about the fact that Wade did not wear headphones on the sidelines during the games, so he must be a terrible coach.

That "meaningless" game at the end of the 1999 season the Bills beat the crap out of the Colts (31-6 was the score), who were 13-2 at that point and fighting for home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Bills offense had been strugging for weeks under Flutie and looked better in that game than it had all season. That was why, "inexplicably" they started Rob Johnson in the playoff game against Tennessee, the top rated team in the AFC that year.

If I remember correctly, Rob Johnson drove us to a game winning field goal and then...you know the rest.

Wade has a .562 winning percentage which is hurt by a couple 3 or 5 game interm coach stints winning percentage should be .570

This is over 146 games so it's not like a 2 year run. 9 years as head man two losing records, 5 playoff teams

Better winning percentage than Shanahan, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Mike Ditka, Marv Levy, Coughlin or the legend Gruden.

Better than a lot of current coaches Del Rio, Kubiak, Garrett, and yes Rex

Chuck Noll is .566 Parcells is .569

Am I saying Wade is up with the greats ? No but he's been extremely successful more than most realize but its the way he carries himself the "country bumpkin" look scares owners away but no one can dispute he's one of the smartest X's and O's guys in the game

Both correct. The meaningless game I was referring to was the last game of the following year (Flutie and Wade's last with the team) — http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/thunder/sea.html

Felt that Wade lacked the charisma and leadership to be a head coach but he's been a stellar D coordinator. Rex has the charisma and talks a good game but lacks the discipline and extreme dedication required of a head coach. I don't think he's putting in the extra hours to get a competetive advantage over other coaches.

Does Belichick have charisma?

I remember an interview of John Elway, when he was still playing, and he talked about how Wade was such a player's head coach that he let the lunatics run the asylum straight into a smoking crater. Elway was totally stoked that Phillips was fired. (And he was right, as Shanahan was finally able to get the Broncos over the hump and win a couple Super Bowls.) Perhaps it is ironic that Phillips is working for Elway's Broncos, but Wade has proven himself many times over as one of the very best DCs in the NFL.

Hard not to like Wade after they pounded Brady. Id rather him as a DC/HC than tweedle dum and dumber... But that ship has sailed

Denver has a really nice coaching staff right now

Same here. that ship has sailed and the tweedle brothers have us floating between playoffs contenders or defensive self destruction leading to team collapse/re-build.

Edited by Marty McFly

I remember an interview of John Elway, when he was still playing, and he talked about how Wade was such a player's head coach that he let the lunatics run the asylum straight into a smoking crater. Elway was totally stoked that Phillips was fired. (And he was right, as Shanahan was finally able to get the Broncos over the hump and win a couple Super Bowls.) Perhaps it is ironic that Phillips is working for Elway's Broncos, but Wade has proven himself many times over as one of the very best DCs in the NFL.

over the hump?... it wasn't Shanahan it was Terrell Davis while Wade had Rod Bernstine at RB

I was 12 when Wade got fired. Listening to all of the callers on WGR and people around town, everyone wanted his head.

Now he is the DC in Denver, everyone wants him back, almost two decades later.

it what we USED to do....like other bad organizations, we've stopped doing that

Both 3-4 legends with lots of defensive coordinator experience and fathers who coached in football. Excluding interim coaching, Wade has a career 79-57 record, Ryan has a career 58-60 record. It's interesting how Ryan was a guy the Bills targeted but nobody touches Wade. All he seems to do is win wherever he is. He's fallen short in the playoffs over and over, but it's not as if Rex has a ring. I know his Bills squads had great records but were somewhat overshadowed following the Kelly years. We were a spoiled fan base during those times. I don't recall what actually severed our relationship with Wade. I'm 34 and those were some memorable years, I just remember the players and games more than situational things like why we lost a player or coach. Anybody recall? Anybody rather have Wade vs Rex? Anybody think it's shocking the guy isn't a HC? He seems to fall victim to high expectations getting fired his first down year everywhere he goes despite success in previous seasons.

I don' think he is a great HC as he has failed at that too many times. But I'd sure take him as a DC as he took a 43 defense and seamlessly switched to 34 and made it the number 1 D in the League (along with being a great DC everywhere he has been).

Just an example of how emotional and impulsive fans can be with this stuff.

Wade was run out of Buffalo because of a gaffe he made during an interview segment on Monday Night Football. The Bills were injured and limping but still technically in the playoff hunt but Wade said they were probably out of it. They finished 8-8 that year and he was let go.

The better option would have been for Wade to stay put, learn his lesson about not sticking your foot in your mouth, and continue on. But no, Wade was fired along with John Butler and in came Tom Donahoe and Greggo and the drought began.

getting rid of Sam Gash for Larry Centers did not help our run game either (neither did Rob Johnson nor that bum what's his name ST coach)

You have a good memory.

Does Belichick have charisma?

Yes. he apparently does.

Leadership was the key trait in the post you quoted though. Drive, intensity, smarts, attention to detail & leadership ability set hoodie apart from the rest.

Then it's settled. Rex > Wade because headphones. :lol: Boy, I remember those days :doh:

I dunno - Rex seems to wear non-working ones quite a bit

I was 12 when Wade got fired. Listening to all of the callers on WGR and people around town, everyone wanted his head.

Now he is the DC in Denver, everyone wants him back, almost two decades later.

Between the headsets and the comment about being out of it, and the punt catcher... He just had so many moments were he seemed the water was too deep as head of the franchise. As discussing football itself goes, he's incredibly smart but I think the DC and scheme based role fits much better than the executive role of hc