Sully embarrasses himself at the Super Bowl

YoloinOhio

did you hear the audio? The statement Cam made isn't related to why Jerry is being made fun of not just here, but nationally. I don't think any of those people hate him, they don't even know who he is. Jerry sounded spiteful and whiny and Cam played him like a fiddle.

Jerry says:

@tbnsully

It's funny how people think a reporter is "angry" if he tries to elicit a response out of an athlete.

@tbnsully

If I was upset at the Cam Newton press conference, it was that it took 15 minutes for anyone to ask a remotely difficult question of the guy

"Prove it." is not a "difficult question."

Sullivan's trying to be a hard-hitting investigative reporter, without realizing that you don't do investigative reporting at press conferences.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALSO, can we please stop calling him Sully. Nicknames are for people you love, care about, enjoy, respect, etc. Can we call him Jerry Sullivan please? He deserves no endearing nicknames or to even be called by his last name. JMO.

I'm in favor of Tabloid Jerry or TJ for short.

I'm in favor of Tabloid Jerry or TJ for short.

I'll stick with Sully, myself, as it accurately describes his reporting...

sul·ly
verb
literaryironic
past tense: sullied; past participle: sullied
  1. damage the purity or integrity of; defile.

Lmao...Sullivan goes "Why don't you back it up with something because it's still an issue to a lot of people"

Cam looks at him and smiles and says "Its not an issue, it's an issue for you."

Cam just dabbled on him...hahahaha

When Sully asked him to back it up with something because its an issue for alot of people, I took it as Sully referencing Cams comments last week of being a black quarterback? Maybe I'm wrong but as much as a hack as Sully is I think some people are misinterpreting his intentions.

Sure he took a swipe at Cam but he was doing so in direct relation to Cam's ridiculous comment last week.

I'll stick with Sully, myself, as it accurately describes his reporting...

Well done.

Also: Sullen

sul·len
ˈsələn/
adjective
adjective: sullen
bad-tempered and sulky; gloomy.
"a sullen pout"
synonyms: surly, sulky, pouting, sour, morose, resentful, glum, moody, gloomy, grumpy, bad-tempered, ill-tempered; More
"a bunch of sullen, spoiled brats"
antonyms: cheerful
  • (of the sky) full of dark clouds.
    "a sullen sunless sky"
noun
archaic
plural noun: sullens; noun: sullen
a sulky or depressed mood.

It must be tough to be so miserable all of the time.

Edited by Peter

When Sully asked him to back it up with something because its an issue for alot of people, I took it as Sully referencing Cams comments last week of being a black quarterback? Maybe I'm wrong but as much as a hack as Sully is I think some people are misinterpreting his intentions.

Sure he took a swipe at Cam but he was doing so in direct relation to Cam's ridiculous comment last week.

didnt he ask him to back up his answer about there being a stereotype that mobile black QBs can't throw from the pocket? That's not really what Cam said last week, unless I missed something. Edited by YoloinOhio

This is hilarious to me. I love how Sully thinks it’s his job “to ask the tough questions.” What does he expect to uncover? Did Cam Newton sell guns to terrorists? :lol:

So !@#$ing ridiculous. Cam's a football player. An extraordinarily good one. There’s no controversy here. It’s about a football game. Sully looks like such a square head dork douchebag, especially playing the race card. I don’t even know what he was hoping to achieve. Unbelievable. :doh:

didnt he ask him to back up his answer about there being a stereotype that mobile black QBs can't throw from the pocket? That's not really what Cam said last week, unless I missed something.

Why does Cam feel that as a black QB, there's no one to compare him to? To me, I took it as him being successful, which would go hand-in-hand with being able to throw from the pocket.

This is hilarious to me. I love how Sully thinks it’s his job “to ask the tough questions.” What does he expect to uncover? Did Cam Newton sell guns to terrorists? :lol:

So !@#$ing ridiculous. Cam's a football player. An extraordinarily good one. There’s no controversy here. It’s about a football game. Sully looks like such a square head dork douchebag, especially playing the race card. I don’t even know what he was hoping to achieve. Unbelievable. :doh:

Cam made it about race first.

"I've said it since Day 1, I'm an African-American quarterback," Newton continued. "That may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to."

It makes me laugh. Sully that monster making it about race, yet Cam saying his race and football position "scares" folks is just a football player. Sully must've planted that quote in Cam's brain!

Edited by FireChan

Why does Cam feel that as a black QB, there's no one to compare him to? To me, I took it as him being successful, which would go hand-in-hand with being able to throw from the pocket.

Cam made it about race first.

. . . to be clear, by "first" you mean seven days ago.

Yes, and Sully followed up at the first chance he's had to question him, as a journalist should, instead of asking the usual puff questions players get. Cam opened the door on the issue.

You have got to be kidding me. So why didn't Sully simply ask Cam to explain his comment from a week ago? I can't believe anyone is defending this asshat.

I think deep down most of us get where Sullivan was coming from. It's just that the Super Bowl week stuff is supposed to be light, and here's Jerry Sullivan with his negative, pessimistic, repelling vibe ruining the day. The same vibe that most Buffalo fans are completely sick of that just doesn't seem to go away.

He just has this charismatic negativity that attracts eyeballs and then eye rolls. That's why he still has a job. So everyone is hoping something like this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

So maybe there is a method to the madness, but I guess I just don't care. I hope he's gone.

Did Mike and Mike play back this and laugh at it as well?:

"Newton is blackety-black and the simple reality is that the country doesn't like black people very much".

I doubt they did because that is their pal Bomani Jones pushing stereotypes just like poor Sully.

ESPN is the organization really pushing this "Cam is polarizing figure" when, really, he's not. A few weeks ago some lady wrote a letter to the editor in a newspaper criticizing him and it went all over the place. Now it seems they are really straining to keep that story line going. It's just phoney controversy. Newton was far more polarizing as a college player (perhaps the most corrupt we have ever heard of), whereas now, he is pretty benign.

This is the typical media creation. Sully is just playing the part someone wants him too--and he is happy to oblige. No one really cares. Why should we?

Do you ever not instinctively defend "The Man"?

Edited by musichunch

You have got to be kidding me. So why didn't Sully simply ask Cam to explain his comment from a week ago? I can't believe anyone is defending this asshat.

Do you think a question about stereotypes of black athletes in the NFL is not at all related to what Cam said?

I think deep down most of us get where Sullivan was coming from. It's just that the Super Bowl week stuff is supposed to be light, and here's Jerry Sullivan with his negative, pessimistic, repelling vibe ruining the day. The same vibe that most Buffalo fans are completely sick of that just doesn't seem to go away.

He just has this charismatic negativity that attracts eyeballs and then eye rolls. That's why he still has a job. So everyone is hoping something like this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

So maybe there is a method to the madness, but I guess I just don't care. I hope he's gone.

Do you ever not instinctively defend "The Man"?

Is the week before the week before the Super Bowl the better time to talk about racism?

Is the week before the week before the Super Bowl the better time to talk about racism?

Why do we need to talk about racism at the Super Bowl? What's wrong with white people in America? Black people don't even want to talk about it at the Super Bowl.

Better than him getting fired would be for every member of the Bills organization to answer "That's your issue" to every question he asks all year long.

That would be pretty funny!

Like that weird Arian Foster interview where he answered every question with the same blurb "I'm only doing what's best for the team" or some such response.