Spring football on it's way apparently

Major League Football is supposed to launch this spring though many details are yet to be announced. Former Bills assistant coach Ted Cottrell will be one of 8 head coaches. I might watch a few games.

http://www.mlfbmedia.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Football

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say that it doesn't last a full season.

I think they're at least starting off with the right frame of mind by finding locations with no NFL or MLB teams and not trying to compete during the NFL season.

These leagues really have to have the right frame of mind and reasonable goals. Admit what you are, which is basically minor league football, even without an official NFL affiliation. Try to give the stadiums and games a fun family atmosphere without a family needing to break the bank in order to enjoy a night out.

If those are the expectations, I think they CAN "succeed". But since it usually ends up being less about fun and more about $$$, it will likely go the way of the rest of these leagues.

Edited by Acantha

Why do they keep going for these leagues? There have been what? Half a dozen leagues that flamed out over the decade or so

I agree, but the reason is if you happen to hit the one that succeeds the reward could be monstrous. Not saying it's a sound investment plan, just that's what keeps driving these leagues into existence.

I think they're at least starting off with the right frame of mind by finding locations with no NFL or MLB teams and not trying to compete during the NFL season.

These leagues really have to have the right frame of mind and reasonable goals. Admit what you are, which is basically minor league football, even without an official NFL affiliation. Try to give the stadiums and games a fun family atmosphere without a family needing to break the bank in order to enjoy a night out.

If those are the expectations, I think they CAN "succeed". But since it usually ends up being less about fun and more about $$$, it will likely go the way of the rest of these leagues.

Good points. I saw on the website though that they expect average ticket prices to be $50, which I think would be high.

Interesting. A minor league is good for the NFL. You can develop players, coaches, and referees. The players who are on practice squads can show off their skills. There will be an occasional Kurt Warner, or Fred Jackson. For that alone I think it's great.

I Probably would make it my commercial break when watching something else.

I agree, but the reason is if you happen to hit the one that succeeds the reward could be monstrous. Not saying it's a sound investment plan, just that's what keeps driving these leagues into existence.

The problem is that it is near impossible for one to hit. The league is full of guys not capable of being practice squad players in the NFL. There are no ties to NFL teams (ie NFL Europe) to keep them afloat and certainly won't have a spot on a major network. Minor League sports in general struggle mightily and this will be no different. I am on record that this league won't survive a season.

On a side note, why not play the Pro Bowl in the spring? Between the draft, the Bowl and Spring Football you would be able to carry the momentum until training camp.

Good points. I saw on the website though that they expect average ticket prices to be $50, which I think would be high.

I can't get to the website from work, so I didn't get to see that. $50 is probably way too much money to make it work. It's a hard set-up really; on one hand they have to be able to pay these guys for playing a tough game, and they can only play so many games without destroying the rosters with injuries. On the hand, nobody is going to pay $200 (plus gas, food, etc...) to go watch minor league football.

It's just not a realistic venture IMO. I can take my wife and son to a minor league baseball game (which is great for the family because they have lots of activities for kids in addition to the game) for $25. Spend as much or as little as you want on food and have a fun night out without breaking the bank. Unless a football league can find a way to compete with that, it's just not reasonable. I'd rather go to the local high school on Friday night than pay $50 for the leftover NFL talent.

IMO, the NFL should subsidize one of these. Get the ticket prices down and have a place to try out new things and get a look at players and coaches. Without their involvement, one of these leagues would have to find a way to draw talent away from the NFL, which is impossible with the money the NFL has.

Edited by Acantha

Major League Football is supposed to launch this spring though many details are yet to be announced. Former Bills assistant coach Ted Cottrell will be one of 8 head coaches. I might watch a few games.

http://www.mlfbmedia.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Football

Interestingly, it's a publicly traded company. Current stock price is $0.63 - any takers?