Spring football on it's way apparently

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say 'granted he was drafted to the NFL'. What about Fjax Flutie and Kurt Warner? 2 of those guys made it to the playoffs one of them went to 3 SuperBowls and won one. Ive been there for the D league failures. I dont wish failure on anyone I hope everyone succeeds as long as it doesnt hurt anyone else in the process. Theres more positives then negatives to that league succeeding. I guess thats just a difference in our thought process. How I think it will turn out means nothing to what I would like to happen to it.

Fjax was a nice guy who had w few good seasons here, but he is hardly a star. Flutie didn't get any better or worse in USFL/CFL. In fact he was only there because guys who run NFL teams for their owners thought he was too short to play in the NFL.

Warner is your only legit reference. But it has been proven that he was the exception and that what you hoping for in this league just can't happen. It hasn't and t won't. This isn't about wishing failure, it's about you explaining why or how it can be different this time with yet another pro football league.

Fjax was a nice guy who had w few good seasons here, but he is hardly a star. Flutie didn't get any better or worse in USFL/CFL. In fact he was only there because guys who run NFL teams for their owners thought he was too short to play in the NFL.

Warner is your only legit reference. But it has been proven that he was the exception and that what you hoping for in this league just can't happen. It hasn't and t won't. This isn't about wishing failure, it's about you explaining why or how it can be different this time with yet another pro football league.

If people just quit doing things because the odds were against them nothing great would ever be accomplished. So why not give it a shot? just cuz history shows it would fail? history showed the wright brothers would continue to fail at trying to fly and they never quit, eventually they did fly. Those are gross over-comparisons to the impact of a minor league football league but the thought process is the same. Give it a shot, not you but, whoever is making it happen give it a shot see what happens. If it succeeds or it fails you and I gain nothing. so !@#$ it. I hope it does work just so people who like to play the sport can go somewhere and make a living doing what they like to do if nothing else.

Well done in creating your own rules in order to discuss the topic.

Regarding Freddy, who said anything about having to be a star? Fred Jackson was passed over by the NFL and was given a second chance after playing very well in NFLE. He's still playing in the NFL years later! That is about as perfect a reference point as you could ask for.

Flutie only played in the CFL because the NFL thought he was too short. So let me try to understand you here. Flutie was passed over by the NFL because the league didn't think he would be able to play successfully in the league. He then went to the CFL, played well for years, and based on that performance was given another chance in the NFL where he was an NFL starter who played a role in getting his team to the playoffs and continued after that for a couple years as a backup. And that doesn't count as a reference for helping non-NFL players get into the league?

This whole line of argument has nothing to do specifically with the chances of the league succeeding or not, it's about whether there is a place for a "D-league" in football. Those examples above are just two that specifically relate to the Bills. I don't keep a record of other players that played for secondary leagues like NFLE and CFL that were then signed to NFL rosters, but I assume those weren't the only two.

Well done in creating your own rules in order to discuss the topic.

Regarding Freddy, who said anything about having to be a star? Fred Jackson was passed over by the NFL and was given a second chance after playing very well in NFLE. He's still playing in the NFL years later! That is about as perfect a reference point as you could ask for.

Flutie only played in the CFL because the NFL thought he was too short. So let me try to understand you here. Flutie was passed over by the NFL because the league didn't think he would be able to play successfully in the league. He then went to the CFL, played well for years, and based on that performance was given another chance in the NFL where he was an NFL starter who played a role in getting his team to the playoffs and continued after that for a couple years as a backup. And that doesn't count as a reference for helping non-NFL players get into the league?

This whole line of argument has nothing to do specifically with the chances of the league succeeding or not, it's about whether there is a place for a "D-league" in football. Those examples above are just two that specifically relate to the Bills. I don't keep a record of other players that played for secondary leagues like NFLE and CFL that were then signed to NFL rosters, but I assume those weren't the only two.

Again, Freddy was a decent player who has hung to a roster spot. Flutie didn't develop in a D league. He just played his game. The other poster said it would be to develop QBs and such. Flutie dispelled the rumor that small guys would never play in the NFL (Buddy and Doug didn't get that memo, sadly). He really didn't develop any new skills there, as we saw.

So, yes, the whole line of argument is whether there is a need for a D league and, but a relative handful of examples, history has proven there is no need for a D league. The failure of all of these past leagues makes it clear that the NFL and fans have no interest because they see no value.

This question as to whether there is a place for a pro D league has been asked and answered repeatedly. Every time another new "pro" league gives a shot doesn't mean the question is now relevant again. It's not.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I don't see an alternate league to find stars, but a way to develop players to be effective in the NFL.

Here are some from NFL Europe.

• Brad Johnson- maybe a game manager but has a SB ring.
  • James Harrison
  • David Akers
  • Adam Vinetierri
  • John Kitna
  • Dante Hall
  • Jake Delhomme
  • William Refridgerator Perry
  • Yes - Kurt Warner

Add that to Warren Moon, Fredex, Fluite, and I'm sure there are others. This is not a list of HOF, but it is a list of solid starters in the NFL that another league gave them a chance. Then there is the coaching where you have Marv Levy, and Bud Grant.

we don't think about referees, but you can groom them as well. I see the value of a minor league to bolster eventually the NFL rosters. Maybe they won't be Peyton Manning, but i would have loved to have Vinatierri as my kicker for the last 20 years. Brad Johnson in his prime would have given us another 2 wins a year. Maybe not a SB, but was very smart with the football until he basically lost his arm.

Again, Freddy was a decent player who has hung to a roster spot. Flutie didn't develop in a D league. He just played his game. The other poster said it would be to develop QBs and such. Flutie dispelled the rumor that small guys would never play in the NFL (Buddy and Doug didn't get that memo, sadly). He really didn't develop any new skills there, as we saw.

The other poster said they COULD develop QB's, not that it was the only way a D League could help NFL teams find talent.

Player X is not in the league (passed over). Player X plays somewhere else where NFL execs/coaches get to see him play and decide that they may actually be worthy of a chance. Player X goes to the NFL. Whether that league did anything for the development for that player or not is beside the point. Neither of those players would have even seen an NFL roster spot if it hadn't been for their play in other leagues.

Again, it's easy to spout your nonsense when you make up your own rules.

You're final point is the only thing that makes a lick of sense. You're right, those other leagues have failed over and over (outside of the CFL). IMO, that has a lot more to do with fan interest than in the possible benefit to NFL teams. If they could generate enough interest with the fans to financially support the league, There's no reason NFL teams wouldn't want to have the potential talent (small as it may be) on display in front of them.

The other poster said they COULD develop QB's, not that it was the only way a D League could help NFL teams find talent.

Player X is not in the league (passed over). Player X plays somewhere else where NFL execs/coaches get to see him play and decide that they may actually be worthy of a chance. Player X goes to the NFL. Whether that league did anything for the development for that player or not is beside the point. Neither of those players would have even seen an NFL roster spot if it hadn't been for their play in other leagues.

Again, it's easy to spout your nonsense when you make up your own rules.

You're final point is the only thing that makes a lick of sense. You're right, those other leagues have failed over and over (outside of the CFL). IMO, that has a lot more to do with fan interest than in the possible benefit to NFL teams. If they could generate enough interest with the fans to financially support the league, There's no reason NFL teams wouldn't want to have the potential talent (small as it may be) on display in front of them.

Guys are still playing Arena football (there's your Warner) and in the CFL (and your Flutie).

The NFL has no interest in a D league to pick up a couple of players every couple of years. If it would benefit them, they would start or finance such a league. They really don't think they need "help finding talent" outside of the NCAA or the existing other football leagues.

Why can't you see that? It's not nonsense, it's how it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Why Major League Football thinks it can succeed this spring

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14748865/major-league-football-new-spring-league-begins-taking-shape

We know we have to walk through the ashes of the leagues that have come before us," Chandler said. "This has taken years of planning. We didn't want to rush to just put a product out on the field or to launch a league. ... I've been a part of three startups: the WLAF, NFL Europe as well as UFL. I've seen the good and bad, including the USFL, and the XFL, the FXFL -- all that have gone before us."

Frank Murtha: MLFB - Professional Spring Football (17:36)
Major League Football Sr. VP Frank Murtha joined The John Murphy Show to discuss the upcoming start of a secondary football league hoping to give players an avenue to the NFL. Murtha talks about the process of forming the league and how it plans to succeed long-term.

• 1 month later...

So, yes, the whole line of argument is whether there is a need for a D league and, but a relative handful of examples, history has proven there is no need for a D league. The failure of all of these past leagues makes it clear that the NFL and fans have no interest because they see no value.

This question as to whether there is a place for a pro D league has been asked and answered repeatedly. Every time another new "pro" league gives a shot doesn't mean the question is now relevant again. It's not.

Fred Jackson did more than " hung on too a roster spot" And for awhile he was the Bills best offensive weapon. granted OBD was partly the reason for that but he was a serious threat. your pats*** buddy Bellicheat*** spoke highly of him. get real.