Super Bowl/Presidents Day

SinceThe70s

Full disclosure: this topic is a result of a recurring conversation with my wife over the years that came up again at dinner tonight.

Why is the Super Bowl on a Sunday night? The kids have school and we have work on Monday. Since there's a two week layoff its beyond me why its not played on Saturday night, but thats not my point.

There's been talk about eliminating pre-season games and adding regular season games. That seems to have died down, but I always thought it was an opportunity to extend the season into February and play the Super Bowl the day before Presidents Day.

Setting aside an extended regular season, how would you feel about starting the season a few weeks later and playing the SB the day before Presidents Day? For me, the season starts too early anyway (football is a cold weather sport) and it definitely ends too soon.

Full disclosure: this topic is a result of a recurring conversation with my wife over the years that came up again at dinner tonight.

Why is the Super Bowl on a Sunday night? The kids have school and we have work on Monday. Since there's a two week layoff its beyond me why its not played on Saturday night, but thats not my point.

There's been talk about eliminating pre-season games and adding regular season games. That seems to have died down, but I always thought it was an opportunity to extend the season into February and play the Super Bowl the day before Presidents Day.

Setting aside an extended regular season, how would you feel about starting the season a few weeks later and playing the SB the day before Presidents Day? For me, the season starts too early anyway (football is a cold weather sport) and it definitely ends too soon.

Great idea IMO.

Just make a new Super Bowl National Holiday. I'm good with that. :)

That's what I've been saying for years, a day to celebrate America's past time! Don't get me wrong I usually use a vacation day for that Monday anyways but that could be an extra day I could use to be out on the golf course in the summertime :thumbsup:

I've made this argument since the discussion started a few years ago...

It personifies the laziness of our society. The NFL is probably the most powerful business (economically and politically) in this country and we're asking them to move their showcase to a different night because we don't want to go to work the next day? Seriously????

If they changed the schedule and added two regular season games, then it's very likely that the Super Bowl would be played on the Sunday of President's Day weekend. However, with the amount of data coming out about concussions and the added talk of safety in the league, I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon.

Until then...suck it up and don't eat or drink as much.

Edited by BuffaloWings

It would be nice to move it up an hour or so but I don't get what the big deal is. The game is over by 11, much earlier than your average Monday or Thursday night.

And is it really that hard to watch a game without getting completely trashed?

I don't think that the league would ever do a Saturday night game because this would take away from Saturday Night league-sponsored events in the host city. Additionally, businesses in that host city count on having guests fill their hotels and restaurants for the entire weekend, and I don't see ever doing anything to short-change that.

As for working the next day...it sucks. I can't see any way that it doesn't suck. I avoid going to Super Bowl parties because I don't want to deal with the trouble of travelling somewhere and then dealing with parking (street parking in my neighborhood) after 11:00. It has nothing to do with wanting to get "trashed" or stuff myself so full of dip and chicken wings that I want to throw up. The game still ends pretty late for kids who go to school, and for people who have to be at work earlier than 9. Having the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend would be great. It would certainly reduce the amount of people who call in sick, because several of us would have the day off scheduled. Also, people wouldn't be pressured to hysterically flee the host city late Sunday night or early Monday morning. Business would get even more of a bump from the extra day off for that weekend as well.

One of the beautiful things about the Super Bowl this year is that it falls the day before Lundi Gras in Louisiana. Many, many places are closed and pretty much everyone else takes that day off anyways. The last Super Bowl to be played on the last weekend of Mardi Gras was the Giants - Pats (1st one). It was one of the most fun days that I can remember. Needless to say by about noon on Thursday, I will be done working until the following Wednesday.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

As someone who probably hasn't gotten off on President's day since grade school I don't need it to extend out that long. But I guess it opens up more people (students, government employees) to stay up and watch the game plus all of the post game stuff if you're in to all of that without worrying about work the next day.

As is, Sunday nights blow. Do something to make this better.

Aside from Walking Dead season, yeah, I'd say you're right.

A lot of states don't do presidents day. NC ditched it and instead celebrates MLK Jr. as the day off.

It would be nice to move it up an hour or so but I don't get what the big deal is. The game is over by 11, much earlier than your average Monday or Thursday night.

And is it really that hard to watch a game without getting completely trashed?

you must have been drinking enough to black out to not remember many of the last 6 season

Sunday night is the #1 night of the week for TV ratings, as opposed to the lowest rated night is Saturday. Granted if the Super Bowl were played on a Saturday, I'm sure for that one week things would change.

Probably shouldn't be talking about this too loud, else the NFL may get ideas like MLB or NBA, or even college sports and start the game at 9:00 pm instead. Or how about 4:00 in the afternoon on New Years Eve? That worked well!!

A lot of states don't do presidents day. NC ditched it and instead celebrates MLK Jr. as the day off.

A lot of states have both days off, especially the state/federal government employees, banking, and schools. That said, a lot of business don't have both days off, so it's not a slam dunk to assume we can all have the day after the Super Bowl off if it moves to that weekend.

I've been wrong about a lot of things, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Edited by BuffaloWings

My son just told me that he has the day after the SB off because "the former Bishop" gave them the day off?

Huh??

Some things are best not questioned......take the day and run!

(I may use the same excuse, possibly befuddling those who aren't too inquisitive.)