Lawrence Phillips Found Dead in Prison

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP I remember he was on a few video games and would dominate.

He wasted his life. Probably should have been on death row anyway for murder, so this just saves taxpayer money. In 15 years, no one will remember his name.

Harsh, man.

Yikes man. I'm a personal responsibility advocate for sure - but that's a pretty cold take. I guess when death of a human being is involved I soften up.

Except if they played for the Patriots. !@#$ the Patriots.

Thought Boehner was known for his angry or "salty" face-making during SOU address? Anyway. I suppose Vermeil made the national stage at emotional moments, but normally not a tear-shedder.

Guy who genuinely wanted to help everyone be their best.

I didn't mean to take away from this thread...it is sad that he passed, may he RIP.

BTW. Boehner always cried, a lot https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=john%20boehner%20crying%20memes

It's all about mental health.

I did a Google. On ESPN I saw LP's last letter to his former coach. Very logical and in character with what many of us would say.

At one moment he has documented murder actions, then another moment he comes across soundly. I hope the big brains at mental health can fix this.

Not saying that doctors aren't good at curing mental sickness but speaking as a person who went through manic depression 20 years ago, no doctor benefited me more than God did.

Not here to preach religion, so from a psychological perspective, no doctor can help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves. As in the case of the man who died in prison, I'm sure wanting to help yourself is a pretty tough thing to do when you're surrounded by a very tough environment.

Not saying that doctors aren't good at curing mental sickness but speaking as a person who went through manic depression 20 years ago, no doctor benefited me more than God did.

Not here to preach religion, so from a psychological perspective, no doctor can help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves. As in the case of the man who died in prison, I'm sure wanting to help yourself is a pretty tough thing to do when you're surrounded by a very tough environment.

Good post. If one has not lived in another Man's shoes , who is he to Judge?

I remember Dick Vermeil crying the day the Rams cut him, saying he had the potential to be the best RB he'd ever coached.

HIs letters to his Nebraska and HS coaches from prison were so sad. Seemed like he'd finally figured it out, but way too late. Our prison system is horrible.

I get that Vermeil and others felt sympathy for this lost soul, but ... a lot of this "he could've been the best ever" stuff is revisionist history. He had one reasonably full season in the NFL with the Rams in which he rushed for 632 yards. 3.3 yards per carry. Yeah, I know people will say his other issues affected his performance, but his performance was Trent Richardson before there was Trent Richardson. Great college runner, bust as a pro. Does that make his downfall and untimely death more or less sad? I don't know, but it seems people are hell bent on making his life out to be a societal and football tragedy (the squandered, almost best ever talent thing). The truth is it's the first but not the second.

It's all about mental health.

I did a Google. On ESPN I saw LP's last letter to his former coach. Very logical and in character with what many of us would say.

At one moment he has documented murder actions, then another moment he comes across soundly. I hope the big brains at mental health can fix this.

I am sure the NFLPA will want to get his brain and blame it on CTE.

I remember Dick Vermeil crying the day the Rams cut him, saying he had the potential to be the best RB he'd ever coached.

HIs letters to his Nebraska and HS coaches from prison were so sad. Seemed like he'd finally figured it out, but way too late. Our prison system is horrible.

When didn't Dick Vermeil cry?

Throughout his football career, coaches had to balance out his enormous talent with his degenerate thug side. Many of them chose to overlook his flaws off the field for what he could give offensively. After he failed out on his first NFL stint he came to Canada and had a great season with the Montreal Alouettes, won a championship, but then just like everywhere else his behaviour wore out the welcome. Its really too bad that nobody early on didnt scare this guy straight and turn him around. Just a complete scumbag as a person who was allowed to get away with way too much until he was completely out of control.