Report: Titans to squander position, hire Mularkey

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000616846/article/mike-mularkey-has-legitimate-chance-to-be-retained

If I'm Hugh Jackson I'm literally losing my freaking mind right now.

This dolt gets a THIRD shot at being a HC?

What?

Titans are sitting on a situation that almost NEVER comes around. They have a young franchise QB AND the #1 overall pick. There is no better combination possible IMO.

They can either take the best skill position or defensive player (or even better) trade the pick for a boatload of goodies to some QB hungry team.

And they are going to waste all this on Mike Mularkey, whose career record is 18-39.

The fact is that the Bills are in a much better position with ownership AND coaching than many, many NFL teams.

Imagine being a Titans fan right now.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is that the Bills are in a much better position with ownership AND coaching than many, many NFL teams.

Imagine being a Titans fan right now.

Yep. Thank you for saying about the Bills ownership situation. 3 or 4 teams are trying to relocate to LA, and TP is keeping the Bills in town, because TP is a passionate homer. We missed the playoffs, that sucks, but there are other fan bases worried about losing their team.

Also.. imagine being a Cleve fan and tolerating the non-stop coaching carousel to the bottom of the toilet. Part of me think Cleveland's moves are to tank--not for a draft pick, but for a low roster cost, because they'll make money off the TV contract, even if they are 0-16. The owner is a hard core "businessman" after all.

When the Bills hired Mularkey he was an unknown as a head coach. Bad decision, but it happens.

Then somehow he emerged in Jacksonville as a HC. Most said "WTF?" but he was promptly fired after one year. The league seemed to have caught on.

Now he is supposedly the favorite to be hired Titans HC? Shame on them, then. By now it ought to be obvious that this guy is not head coach material. He won 2 games for them as interim coach! Even there he was awful.

Yet NFL teams just have to keep hiring this guy. This is why the Rooney Rule exists.

I wonder if they even reached out to Chip Kelly. They already had Mularkey on the payroll so they could have taken their time and seen how things played out around the league. Indy and NO jobs were top spots and those ended up not opening up, so now it's just the Giants and then everyone else. I would have waited to see how things played out and they might have gotten a Chip Kelly on the cheap

When the Bills hired Mularkey he was an unknown as a head coach. Bad decision, but it happens.

Then somehow he emerged in Jacksonville as a HC. Most said "WTF?" but he was promptly fired after one year. The league seemed to have caught on.

Now he is supposedly the favorite to be hired Titans HC? Shame on them, then. By now it ought to be obvious that this guy is not head coach material. He won 2 games for them as interim coach! Even there he was awful.

Yet NFL teams just have to keep hiring this guy. This is why the Rooney Rule exists.

The Rooney Rule exists because Mike Mularkey apparently interviews very well?

Talk about non-sequiturs...

The Rooney Rule exists because Mike Mularkey apparently interviews very well?

Talk about non-sequiturs...

Well, since the Rooney Rule has been around longer than Mike Mularkey has been getting jobs he doesn't deserve that would be an odd claim to make.

However, being "the smartest guy in the room" you surely understand that I wasn't saying the Rooney Rule had anything to do with how well Mike Mularkey interviews.

The Rooney Rule exists because NFL owners keep recycling the same failed guys as head coaches while other qualified candidates serve on their staffs.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Well, since the Rooney Rule has been around longer than Mike Mularkey has been getting jobs he doesn't deserve that would be an odd claim to make.

However, being "the smartest guy in the room" you surely understand that I wasn't saying the Rooney Rule had anything to do with how well Mike Mularkey interviews.

The Rooney Rule exists because NFL owners keep recycling the same failed guys as head coaches while other qualified candidates serve on their staffs.

The Rooney Rule doesn't break that cycle at all. The Rooney Rule doesn't force, or even motivate, a hire. And it doesn't bump guys like Mularkey off the carousel in favor of minorities. All the Rooney Rule does is give lip service to minority candidates that may, or may not, be qualified for head coaching positions.