Bills Named As One Of The Worst Teams At Managing The Cap.

For those not worried about the cap, heres a few points to consider.

1. Not to be overlooked: Hogan, Rambo, Bryant, Charles, Powell, Gray, Mills all RFAs for Bills. Even minimum tenders = $11M+ total cap space.

2. Glenn and Incognito will be about 12-13 million a year total

3. You have to have money for a rookie pool, dont think our draft picks are playing for free.

Sorry folks but it is bad.

I accounted $5M for rookies with the spotrac tool and still had room for everyone without touching Clay's contract

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

H8rs gonna hate. :lol:

Seriously, sometimes people care about making the playoffs. Those people, of which I'm one, demand accountability and not excuses after the longest post-season drought in North American professional sports. I question whether people like you are more interested in just being a happy fan ignorant of results than actually having a great team.

IMO, a fan should criticize a franchise when they continually are lapped by other average NFL teams.

Specifically, you've got teams like Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Carolina, Seattle that are now post-season bound. You know, the teams who've rebuilt to varying degrees and were stuck in the mud in 2010 when your last rebuild under the previous GM began? Although this may be a new rebuild now that RR is aboard, I don't know anymore. :bag:

Sure there were silver linings this year. But there isn't a fan out there who, at the beginning of the season, would have been satisfied with being all but eliminated from the playoffs in week 14. No way.

No one is satisfied but everything isn't bad and everything isn't good. There are very objective people on this board, there are "pie in the sky" people and negative Nancy's. The best are by far the objective people. Often times your negative takes are well thought out and right on. There are the ultra positive people that often have well thought out takes that are spot on. With that being said the people that can formulate well thought out opinions, Bob good and bad, bring significantly more to the board.

There is a difference between demanding accountability and complaining. You are always quick to chime in when you see something wrong but never respond to the good. Your well thought out opinions would be welcome as well.

The goal isn't the playoffs, it is a Super Bowl. We took steps back this year IMO. With that being said the improved offense, with a few star skill players, is encouraging. The talent level on this team isn't the issue. The coaching and scheme is.

He may or may not be the ideal cap hit, but, that is what you do in FA....over spend. He is slightly over paid it is how you pry players away from other teams and lure them. That is why you can't build thru FA. You can take a shot here and there, but, it needs to be for the right player. I think Whaley and the Bills did it for the right player.

Manther and Rhino, good posts and thanks for the comments. I know people are frustrated as am I, and Bills Vet makes a point on the teams now in the playoffs that were not a few years ago. All but Washington hired good management and good coaching, and then were able to find a franchise QB which is a lot harder to do than most want to admit.

I believe we did make a mistake in our coaching hire, but I'm still trying to tell myself give him more time. I know we have better management in the last few years than we had in the previous decade. We finally have built up a deplorably deficient team in talent to an above average team in talent.

As I stated above, Whaley had a solid plan and I believe in him. If you nit pick every decision of every player, you'll find something wrong with every GM in the league. The Ravens are one of the most respected teams in the league, and Ozzy is considered one of the best GM's. How'd they do this year? The Steelers are revered fro their resume as they should. They also let their defense get old and limped into the playoffs. I really like Pittsburgh. They have to perform this year in the draft on defense. Green Bay is sacred in how they are talked about in the league. They barely made the playoffs with the best QB in the league. they have a talent issue in some key positions.

For people that lump lack of playoffs to this team it is silly. So many of the idiots running this team have been gone for so long. The Pegulas are in their first year as owners. Management as a lot more hits than misses. If TT really becomes a franchise QB, we will be there. I have been in management for a very long time in medical devices working with very competitive skilled people. You have to look at a team in it's totality, and can't expect everything at once. You have to look at what is being built. Simply, Rex screwed this team up and i have to hope more time will change that, but my guess by next year is i will be thinking this was a bad hire.

I wouldn't doubt the story by Vic is right, and the Pegulas can shut people up with a small extension for Whaley, but really fire everyone next year if they do not perform. As much as I hate two years for a coach, this one may be the right move. i heop we are all wrong, and Rex puts together with Doug a top 3 defense, and some improvements on offense with a great running game.

H8rs gonna hate. :lol:

Seriously, sometimes people care about making the playoffs. Those people, of which I'm one, demand accountability and not excuses after the longest post-season drought in North American professional sports. I question whether people like you are more interested in just being a happy fan ignorant of results than actually having a great team.

IMO, a fan should criticize a franchise when they continually are lapped by other average NFL teams.

Specifically, you've got teams like Arizona, Washington, Minnesota, Carolina, Seattle that are now post-season bound. You know, the teams who've rebuilt to varying degrees and were stuck in the mud in 2010 when your last rebuild under the previous GM began? Although this may be a new rebuild now that RR is aboard, I don't know anymore. :bag:

Sure there were silver linings this year. But there isn't a fan out there who, at the beginning of the season, would have been satisfied with being all but eliminated from the playoffs in week 14. No way.

Im with ya BillsVet. Wasnt when Buddy and Chan came in, Buddy said we're not that far off. My god that is laughable now. I swear you could repeat some people's posts every few years and just change some names. How QB x just needs a few years to develop, CJ Spiller is the next Jamal Charles, TJ Graham and Goodwin are going to be these awesome deep threats because....look they're fast!!!! The legend of Michael Jasper. Coach X just needs to get his players. Trading Lynch had to be done. Its never anyones fault---Modrak just sets the board, what happened in the past doesnt matter because Donohoe, then Levy, then Modrak, then Buddy are gone and everything is different now. Media person X doesnt like the Bills, and all the while we get nearer and nearer to the Saints futility record.

I guess you can pretend a Ford Fusion is a Porsche, and other people see a Ford Fusion and say, yeah thats a Fusion.

Im with ya BillsVet. Wasnt when Buddy and Chan came in, Buddy said we're not that far off. My god that is laughable now. I swear you could repeat some people's posts every few years and just change some names. How QB x just needs a few years to develop, CJ Spiller is the next Jamal Charles, TJ Graham and Goodwin are going to be these awesome deep threats because....look they're fast!!!! The legend of Michael Jasper. Coach X just needs to get his players. Trading Lynch had to be done. Its never anyones fault---Modrak just sets the board, what happened in the past doesnt matter because Donohoe, then Levy, then Modrak, then Buddy are gone and everything is different now. Media person X doesnt like the Bills, and all the while we get nearer and nearer to the Saints futility record.

I guess you can pretend a Ford Fusion is a Porsche, and other people see a Ford Fusion and say, yeah thats a Fusion.

:D:thumbsup:

Yes because different players are the same players because they have the Bills in common. You negative nancies are ridiculous sometimes. Quit taking 16 years out on other fans who actually want to root for their team.

The cap will be fine. It will be stretched this year for sure, but our roster will not implode.

Edited by What a Tuel

Why? There's $12M coming from Mario's release alone. McKelvin release or pay cut is another $3M alone.

That's $15M in cap room before guys like Urbik, Lawson, and either of Graham or Aaron Williams (one won't be here most likely) are addressed.

Boobie Dixon is another easy $1M in savings that has virtually no impact on the field.

I know they want to keep Kyle, but he's another $5.5M to save and a guy that isn't a great fit for what they're doing defensively; they can sign a true NT for less than they save by cutting him.

Plenty sif ways to create cap space without gutting the roster

I think you just gutted the roster! But moving Mario and adding another 10m to the cap ceiling will keep us afloat next year after keeping Glenn and Richie.

Urbik Lawson and Graham need to be here one more year for sure.

Boobie is gone.

Kyle stays. ( thats emotion talking and thats all i got for my boy ) , maybe he will give them a mil back?

Leodis. I keep him. With some contract work.

Because Stephon and Ron are just too valuable to Rex's D to have a big drop off like Brooks or Butler as next up.

#Machiawhaleyian

Dude's straight cash-money and even has Bills fans fooled. :lol:

Damn. Thats pure gold

And some call it a Dodge Diplomat.

its all in the lighting.

but let us not live in the past please.

Can we call it a rough start for the Pegula Era ?

What's the best way to evaluate the Bills cap management?

The last couple years, we've signed pretty much everyone we've wanted to sign. We didn't make many drastic cap management moves. So regards 2014 and 2015, I'd have to give the Bills good grades.

But have we mortgaged the future with some of the big contracts we've handed out? Let's see how the 2016 offseason plays out. How do you grade an unfinished product?

Yup. You probably have to allocate 5-7 million for the rookie pool.

Yes and no.

Though it's true that the rookie contracts will come to $5M+, the cap typically is not impacted to anywhere near that amount. The cap is determined from the top 51 contracts. At the moment our #51 contract is giving us a $0.45M cap hit. The lower round cap hits don't come to that level so they would not push up our cap expenditure in any way....and the high rounds would be added into the list of 51, thus pushing the $0.45M cap hit out of the top 51. In essence, the #2 draft pick who would likely get about $1M would only effect the cap by around $0.5M.

Yeah, the Jets are awesome with the cap

8 mil to Cromartie

5.1.25 mil to Giacomini OG (yeah, who?)

7.5 mil for David Harris MLB

5.575 mil to James Carpenter RT

7.75 mil to Buster Skrine CB

5.625 mil to Marcus Gilchrist S

Look at all that money alloted to the secondary and I'm leaving Revis out of this list because he's a great player. I would say the Jets are no better than us managing the cap

+1. $8m to Skrine? wow, big miss there. At least Mario is on the field..

Cap management seems such a crapshoot to me... 31 other teams, all it takes is one to be irrational and deals go out of sight.. the key is to draft well and get starters from it (eg. Miller, Darby, Williams..). free agency as a primary means of gathering talent brings big trouble down the road. Bills need to sign their own drafted guys (Gilmore, etc) well before they hit free agency.. they know that and will do it unless the agent blocks it (eg. Jason Peters)... my view is the Bills are now seen as attractive due to new ownership, coaching and good prospects going forward

No. Any cap savings from releasing him won't be available until June 1st then and it moves dead money into the 2017 season, pretty much negating any benefit from cutting him.

The only thing I would say regarding the Bills is that we have little cap room, but have 53 players signed to the roster. When we release Mario we will be $12 million under the cap with 52 guys signed. The Saints, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Jets, and Lions will all be around the same free space figure with roughly 40 guys signed.

I don't think we have been great at managing the cap, but we are not in situations like the Saints or Dolphins.

other than Jets, all those teams have the approx. $20m franchise QB guy wrecking their cap ... sort of wish we had that problem :)

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

:thumbsup:

The Bills put all their chips into 2015 to end the playoff drought...and didn't succeed. Reading the BN article of where they are relative to the cap ceiling and who they need to cut is disheartening.

And as Bill from NYC has noted, they've been very loose with resources the last 12 months. Now there's a price to pay for that.

People assume that the OBD wizards will figure it out, free up cap space, get the pieces for Rex's defense, keep Glenn and Incognito, then hit home runs in the draft. Based on previous years I'm not optimistic that'll happen.

And it's occurred without having to pay a QB major money. Last year few if any teams invested less financially in their QB's.

The 2015 Bills were like a government stimulus advertised as creating immediate results...that never did.

:thumbsup:

The Bills put all their chips into 2015 to end the playoff drought...and didn't succeed. Reading the BN article of where they are relative to the cap ceiling and who they need to cut is disheartening.

And as Bill from NYC has noted, they've been very loose with resources the last 12 months. Now there's a price to pay for that.

People assume that the OBD wizards will figure it out, free up cap space, get the pieces for Rex's defense, keep Glenn and Incognito, then hit home runs in the draft. Based on previous years I'm not optimistic that'll happen.

And it's occurred without having to pay a QB major money. Last year few if any teams invested less financially in their QB's.

The 2015 Bills were like a government stimulus advertised as creating immediate results...that never did.

That's a cute remark in hindsight, but it seems a bit too convenient to forget that in late August the QB situation in Buffalo was universally perceived to be in shambles. Go back and review the national predictions...very few penciled the Bills in as playoff participants.

Folks on this board go over-the-top in both directions -- there's no disputing the on-the-field results haven't been what we want, but it isn't all a trainwreck either.