For Everyone Who Wanted Rex Fired...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you failed to understand the original point which was--very clearly--that this is a ****ty year to be looking for a new HC.

Nah, they're always out there. Putting the retreads aside...it's no better or worse than the draft. You take a shot with a C or college HC hoping it works out. Some are good, many bust.

I still think Hue Jackson is going to be a successful HC.

Rex impressed me with the in-game changes he made after the KC game, and how he got a bit more "serious" as the season ended. He really contained himself with respect to sweeping the Jets and knocking them out of the playoffs. I think he is embarrassed by how the defense performed and will spare no expense to fix it.

The people who believe Rex is a dummy really don't get it. I'm not predicting he will lead the Bills to the promised land, but he's not the idiot some would have you believe. I see evidence of growth as a HC.

You don't have to be an idiot to be mediocre. You are creating a straw argument.

If you believe that he did a good job coaching this year then I respectfully disagree with you. Knocking the Jets out of the playoffs isn't much of an accomplishment from an overall standpoint. It means little to the team that should be participating in the playoffs instead of watching the games from their coaches.

You made it do with Rex when you said "I'm sure glad we got our guy".

I agree the options aren't very attractive but neither is Rex so I guess damned if you do, damned if you don't.

However, I'd say keeping Rex will be the right decision because Roman was a very good choice at OC. Let's hope none of these vacancies give him a shot at HC.

And what happens if Roman does get a shot at being a HC because the pool is so shallow?

I for one would rather see Jim Schwartz as the Buffalo Bills HC over Ryan.

I'd rather see Greg Roman as HC and hire Schwartz to be DC and find a decent OC to run Romans offense the way he wants.

My list is almost endless of people I'd rather see as the Bills HC mostly because the guy took the best pass rush in the league and destroyed it. From 1st to 31st the Legend of Wrex Ryan grows.

When you make an argument that at least my girlfriend is not as ugly as yours you are not saying that your babe is a beauty. The best response would be to remain silent and make due with what you got, at least for now.

The coach I wanted and campaigned for and who until they decided to call loud mouth Rex in for a bit of a look-see was leading the Bills race last year is still out there - Hue Jackson. I thought he was the perfect fit at the perfect time last year. However, I am not sure he is the perfect fit now. We don't have an already solid Jim Schwartz led defense (Jackson was keen for Schwartz to stay) that just needs a productive and creative offense (Jackson hallmarks). I still think Jackson could be a good leader as a Head Coach but if we had of fired Rex I'd be very keen to know who he wanted as DC before going "all in" on him.

The coach I wanted and campaigned for and who until they decided to call loud mouth Rex in for a bit of a look-see was leading the Bills race last year is still out there - Hue Jackson. I thought he was the perfect fit at the perfect time last year. However, I am not sure he is the perfect fit now. We don't have an already solid Jim Schwartz led defense (Jackson was keen for Schwartz to stay) that just needs a productive and creative offense (Jackson hallmarks). I still think Jackson could be a good leader as a Head Coach but if we had of fired Rex I'd be very keen to know who he wanted as DC before going "all in" on him.

Was Hue Jackson interviewed for the Bills' job last year?

You don't have to be an idiot to be mediocre. You are creating a straw argument.

If you believe that he did a good job coaching this year then I respectfully disagree with you. Knocking the Jets out of the playoffs isn't much of an accomplishment from an overall standpoint. It means little to the team that should be participating in the playoffs instead of watching the games from their coaches.

I don't think I said he did a good coaching job; I said he did some things that impressed me and I saw growth.

LAWD!

Are you seeing the names of potential "candidates?"

This might be the shallowest coaching pool yet.

I'm not saying one of the dozens of coordinators getting plucked for interviews won't turn out to be the next great HC, but let's be real.

With Smith fired in TB, it's the fourth consecutive year with seven coaching vaccines in the NFL, but only the second time the Bills aren't mired in the scrum.

Looking at the present supply and demand, I'm sure glad we got our guy.

Truth be told, if Rex were fired, we would all delude ourselves into believing that the crappy retreads on the market were much greater than they are.

People would be all over Ken Whisenhunt, citing his 2005 season as the Steelers OC to feel confident about him. Adam Gase would be considered a genius, because of the work he has done in 5 games with Brock Osweieler. Chip Kelly would be looked at at the ideal Czar, which would lead to lots of: "let's trade Shady" threads.

Truth be told, if Rex were fired, we would all delude ourselves into believing that the crappy retreads on the market were much greater than they are.

People would be all over Ken Whisenhunt, citing his 2005 season as the Steelers OC to feel confident about him. Adam Gase would be considered a genius, because of the work he has done in 5 games with Brock Osweieler. Chip Kelly would be looked at at the ideal Czar, which would lead to lots of: "let's trade Shady" threads.

Isn't this how Rex got this job? Isn't this how his hiring was greeted here by many?

LAWD!

Are you seeing the names of potential "candidates?"

This might be the shallowest coaching pool yet.

I'm not saying one of the dozens of coordinators getting plucked for interviews won't turn out to be the next great HC, but let's be real.

With Smith fired in TB, it's the fourth consecutive year with seven coaching vaccines in the NFL, but only the second time the Bills aren't mired in the scrum.

Looking at the present supply and demand, I'm sure glad we got our guy.

Well, I'll wait and see who actually gets hired. There are some folks busy prepping their teams for Wild Card weekend who may well get a look (and a hire). There are some guys who have the Best Agent Ever who is great at puffing them up, but may or may not get them hired. I understand the logic of keeping Rex, and I'm hoping that the results of the last 2 weeks mean something, but seeing the incompetence elsewhere doesn't exactly make me feel better about what may represent our own incompetence.

Otherwise agree with the take that coaching in the NFL is the very definition of insanity: circulating a pool of guys fired by (or quit on, in Marrone's case) one team in the hope they will be "the Man" somewhere else. This is sort of like drafting a QB in the 6 round 10 times in a row expecting to get Tom Brady.

Ross Tucker: "Players want to play for Rex Ryan" (13:12)
Former Bills guard and now NFL analyst Ross Tucker called in to The John Murphy Show to discuss the coaching carousel around the league, his impressions of the Bills moving forward and the importance of continuity with leadership.

Ryan and defensive players find formula for 2016 success
It came too late for success in the 2015 season, but down the stretch Rex Ryan and his defensive players found a balance of give and take that with a year of familiarity should lead to improved results in 2016.

If it had nothing to do with Rex, it would not exist. You're bailing.

Thread fail..

Is that why you mentioned him twice in the title and OP?

:lol:

I never wanted RR hired.

When you point out that this year's candidates for HCs are mediocre you are not making a ringing endorsement of our current HC who underachieved in his first year in western NY.

I would very much have preferred Hue Jackson over the boisterous Rex.

I still think Hue Jackson is going to be a successful HC.

Rex impressed me with the in-game changes he made after the KC game, and how he got a bit more "serious" as the season ended. He really contained himself with respect to sweeping the Jets and knocking them out of the playoffs. I think he is embarrassed by how the defense performed and will spare no expense to fix it.

The people who believe Rex is a dummy really don't get it. I'm not predicting he will lead the Bills to the promised land, but he's not the idiot some would have you believe. I see evidence of growth as a HC.

I thought that Jackson and a retained Schwartz was the best option last year before any of us considered Rex to be a remote possibility.

While I share this perspective, I really don't want the OP to be confused with cheerleading for Rex.

So far, at the surface, this appears to be a bad year to be looking for HC's. Firing ours (regardless who it is/was), given the alternatives, would have been the wrong thing to do.

Guess whose name hasn't been mentioned anywhere (yet): Jim Schwartz.

Will he come back as a DC? Time will tell. But he was foisted as the HC savior that many here wanted and it appears he's either a.) off the market or b.) no longer marketable (at this point).

I would much rather have Pettine back honestly. Atleast then i think he could take Rexs D and make it better. I dont want an all out change to the D again like Schwartz would do. What were we ranked with Pettine? Top 10? I honestly cant remember

I would much rather have Pettine back honestly. Atleast then i think he could take Rexs D and make it better. I dont want an all out change to the D again like Schwartz would do. What were we ranked with Pettine? Top 10? I honestly cant remember

I haven't seen his name mentioned for HC interviews since he was dismissed, but it's at least the second time he's been mentioned in this thread. Just because I haven't seen the reports doesn't mean he hasn't scheduled interviews. Can we verify that he has/hasn't?