Favorite sports quotes

I'm new to the board, been following for a while, thanks for the insights, angst and commiseration. After another rough season maybe some humor is in order and this board rarely disappoints.

So whats your favorite sports quote? I'll start with the following from former Tampa Bay Bucs coach John McKay:

Reporter: Coach, what do you think of your teams execution?

McKay: I'm all for it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where Else Would You Rather Be Than Right Here, Right Now? - Marv Levy

I change my vote. Not as funny, but....wow! More powerful I agree. Forgot that one. Nice choice. Edited by Augie

When Herb Brooks was coaching the US Olympic team in the Miracle on Ice year, they were training before the games started, and he turned to (future Sabre) Randy McClanahan, and in front of the whole team screamed, "McClanahan! You play worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next week!!!"

When Herb Brooks was coaching the US Olympic team in the Miracle on Ice year, they were training before the games started, and he turned to (future Sabre) Randy McClanahan, and in front of the whole team screamed, "McClanahan! You play worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next week!!!"

Eruzione also said he told the team before the start of their last game....after beating the Russians: if you lose this game you'll take it to your graves.......your effin graves.

I also like Greg Popovich's "Remember the Alamo" although I don't really know why and I'm not sure how it got so famous.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I have always liked Patrick Roy responding to a quote from Jeremy Roenick by saying "I can't really hear what Jeremy is saying, my two Stanley cup rings are plugging my ears". Game set match Roy.

Edited by cdubya

These are especially applicable to us long-suffering Bills fans, IMO:

"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi

"The only way to prove that you're a good sport is to lose." - Ernie Banks