Favorite sports quotes

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to the board, been following for a while, thanks for the insights, angst and commiseration. After another rough season maybe some humor is in order and this board rarely disappoints.

So whats your favorite sports quote? I'll start with the following from former Tampa Bay Bucs coach John McKay:

Reporter: Coach, what do you think of your teams execution?

McKay: I'm all for it.

another McKay classic- "we can't win at home, and we can't win on the road. We need to find a neutral sight" LOL

Eruzione also said he told the team before the start of their last game....after beating the Russians: if you lose this game you'll take it to your graves.......your effin graves.

I also like Greg Popovich's "Remember the Alamo" although I don't really know why and I'm not sure how it got so famous.

Close. Herb Brooks said it in between the second and third period when the US was losing 2-1. US blew out Finland in the 3rd to win the gold medal. Edited by dhg

Close. Herb Brooks said it in between the second and third period when the US was losing 2-1. US blew out Finland in the 3rd to win the gold medal.

I heard somebody on the radio one time say (and I thought he alluded to a cleaned up version being in the movie MIracle, but then I saw that great movie and didn't see it) - but supposedly Eruzione got up and said We're not losing to no !@#$ing Finns!!

Anyone know if that's even out there (I've never seen it) or if this guy was talking out of his butt when he said that story?

"You over-officious jerk!"

I was using this all season this year. And, the people around us in our seats knew exactly what I was talking about...............It's so funny!

"We want the ball and were gonna score" Matt Hasselback

"Pressure is when you play for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket." Lee Trevino
"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." Lee Trevino

"I want to kiss you" Joe Namath

"You over-officious jerk!"

The NFL Films episode where they have Marv saying that has a lot of great quotes from various coaches.

Love the Sid Gillman quote "Get him out of there, because he HAS no hands".

Also, not sure who the coach was in it, but he is drilling his team in the locker room and says "You deserve the boos they give you! Call yourselves professionals?"

Lou Saban saying “they’re killing me, whitey – they’re killing me”