Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

For what it's worth, I agree that extending Whaley is a bad decision. I was hoping that both he and Rex would be shown the door. Am I surprised? Not at all.

Who gets the next big contract? Brandon?

Really? The talent on this team is orders of magnitude better than it has been since the SB years. We haven't seen QB play like that since Kelly (not comparing to Kelly). And our O is good. Now we need to fix the D, which I have faith Rex can next year. If he can't...well, on to the next one :)

We tweak the D and ad a #2 WR with some LB help and we have a very good team (if they resign Glenn and Incognito).

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks for the dialogue.

My fairly strong reservation wrt Whaley is that he is a bit too free with the team resources for my liking. Hey, he certainly has hit a few home runs. Tyrod (I will credit him for TT), Darby, and my man Karlos were fine moves.

Sammy, imo, while a ballsy move, was costly. And when the deal was made there was no Tyrod. In retrospect it was a good move but that draft was chock full of top wideouts.

EJ was a major blunder, as were Bryce Brown and Kujo. Hiring Rex was a disaster too imo. There were others, such as the McCoy contract.

Badol will disagree with me, but imo draft choices are worth more since the rookie salary cap was implemented. No more spending 36 million on a Donte Whitner. I prefer getting more to giving them up.

Hey, jmo. :)

If I owned the team I would not let him be reckless with trades and contracts.

I'll admit I was a little surprised to see you down on the move, but that criticism is fair. I think Whaley's weakness is in the way he has overvalued certain players or positions, giving up too much either in picks or contract money. But at the same time, I think he has been good at identifying and bringing in talent.

I think we are a stronger team talent-wise because of his moves, but a bit more vulnerable from a resource standpoint. It's a tradeoff. Not every GM can excel at everything.

I'll admit I was a little surprised to see you down on the move, but that criticism is fair. I think Whaley's weakness is in the way he has overvalued certain players or positions, giving up too much either in picks or contract money. But at the same time, I think he has been good at identifying and bringing in talent.

I think we are a stronger team talent-wise because of his moves, but a bit more vulnerable from a resource standpoint. It's a tradeoff. Not every GM can excel at everything.

I think what a lot of people don't understand about the Watkins trade was that Whaley knew, as did most pro scouts and personnel guys, that Watkins was as good as he has played the last half of this season. He was the very best player in the draft. He was a sure fire star player. The only such player in the draft. Most #1 picks are crap shoots. You will usually get a pretty good player but half of them turn out to be just decent or busts. Whaley decided, correctly, that if you can get a sure fire star for a #9 and a #15 or so pick you do it every single time. I would gladly not have a #1 every other year if the one guy you get was the best rated player in the draft and a sure fire star.

I think what a lot of people don't understand about the Watkins trade was that Whaley knew, as did most pro scouts and personnel guys, that Watkins was as good as he has played the last half of this season. He was the very best player in the draft. He was a sure fire star player. The only such player in the draft. Most #1 picks are crap shoots. You will usually get a pretty good player but half of them turn out to be just decent or busts. Whaley decided, correctly, that if you can get a sure fire star for a #9 and a #15 or so pick you do it every single time. I would gladly not have a #1 every other year if the one guy you get was the best rated player in the draft and a sure fire star.

Thats conjecture. How do you know he knew?

Because most everyone in that position did. His scouting marks were off the charts. There are a couple people on here who have friends in the scouting community and they all said the same thing. It wasn't that Whaley knew when no one else did, it was almost consensus opinion.

There is no doubt we have the talent on defense to do very well. There is no doubt we have the talent to do well on offense. We have proven both. That is the GMs job.

agreed. We have the talent. We just need it to all come together. I mean, we kept a team from making the playoffs w/ our backup RBs, backup OL men, missing a pro-bowl DL, one of the best safeties in the NFL, starting (pro bowl caliber) CB, and second WR. Why this team couldn't play defense all year is Thurman and Rex's fault.

Because most everyone in that position did. His scouting marks were off the charts. There are a couple people on here who have friends in the scouting community and they all said the same thing. It wasn't that Whaley knew when no one else did, it was almost consensus opinion.

If Sammy did not have injury issues there is a real possiblity that he would be considered the best WR in the league at this point......

and you cannot account for injuries

Anyone who watched a Clemson game knew, I knew. He's flawless and some scouts called his comp Jerry Rice which never happens

Easily.

Yeah, I don't disagree with this. I was not one of the ones who was unhappy with the trade and pick, but I think there are several examples of giving up more than perhaps was needed for certain players. But I also feel that there are circumstances that dictate these things that are hard to avoid at certain times.

Mind you, I am very happy with Whaley and I will be glad if/when the extension is announced.

First of all, the kids from LSU aren't so bad, wouldn't you agree? And again, EJ Manuel (a Whaley blunder) was the quarterback when he made this deal.

John from Hemet posts that if not for injuries, Sammy might be the best. Maybe so. And if he WAS seriously injured the Bills would be missing not one but 2 first round picks (and a 4th) and this board would be on fire calling for Whaley's job. In other words, there was an awful lot of risk in that deal.

I also remind you that we have not had a playoff appearance since the trade was made. Do I blame the trade? No I don't but the results are what they are.

And please, let's not forget that he offered contracts to Spiller and Byrd. He got very lucky there, but there is nothing wrong with good luck, right?

In all, Whaley doesn't completely suck. I never claimed that this was the case. Imo he is so-so at best but the team has ben so bad for so long, we as fans tend to embrace any Bill who isn't completely awful and sadly, even some who are (Losman, Manuel, etc.).

In all, Whaley doesn't completely suck. I never claimed that this was the case. Imo he is so-so at best but the team has ben so bad for so long, we as fans tend to embrace any Bill who isn't completely awful and sadly, even some who are (Losman, Manuel, etc.).

I don't agree at all. I think Whaley is good and some Bills fans are so used to everything on this team sucking that they start second and third guessing every move Whaley makes expecting to find that he sucks, because hey everything else does.

I don't agree at all. I think Whaley is good and some Bills fans are so used to everything on this team sucking that they start second and third guessing every move Whaley makes expecting to find that he sucks, because hey everything else does.

agree. Look at what the other GMs in the league have drafted, traded for and signed in FA (and who they decided NOT to sign or traded away) and the outcome of those moves. Whaley is very good. He needs to be evaluated against his peers, not in a vacuum. His roster is not the reason we didn't make the playoffs. It isn't even close to being the reason. And this is a guy who has had to shift personnel decisions per scheme every single year. Edited by YoloinOhio

I guess time will tell and of course, I hope I am wrong. Of one thing I AM certain: This team really does need a good draft. We shot our free agency load so to speak on Clay and McCoy.

By the way, your response was a good one and was way funnier than it was probably intended to be. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

I supported the Watkins trade/pick from day one and still support it. Beats having Eric Ebron and whatever mid-round pick we would have gotten with a 7-9 record (factoring in losses to Detroit and Minnesota last season).

Sure Dave but if the pick would have been Ebron, who would you blame? Or would we be here saying that he "needs more time?"