Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

There are 250 days between now and Sept. 11, 2016, which is when I assume the Bills will play their next game.

That means 250 more days of speculation, false reports, conflicting information, targeted leaks, checking the status of private jets, etc. before the next time the team takes the field for a meaningful game, which is kind of the point of it all. And for the 16th straight year, it all starts while other teams are gearing up for the postseason.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same stuff reported by LaConjecture and Vic? :lol:

[i'll repeat before my post gets completely lost.]: Joking aside, what are people's theories as to why Carucci is getting it wrong? (Caveat: Whaley could still get fired after this season even with the extension.) Someone who works in the organization must really not like Whaley. Presumably that's not Brandon. Maybe someone on Rex's team who got the ultimatum and figured it applied to Whaley too? Combined with the Roman stuff, that's the only thing I can think of. But really, I have no idea.

Joking aside, what are people's theories as to why Carucci is getting it wrong? (Caveat: Whaley could still get fired after this season even with the extension.) Someone who works in the organization must really not like Whaley. Presumably that's not Brandon. Maybe someone on Rex's team who got the ultimatum and figured it applied to Whaley too? Combined with the Roman stuff, that's the only thing I can think of. But really, I have no idea.

The bolded is 100% true, which to me says there's a chance both reports are accurate. I agree there seems to be some internal grudge against Whaley coming from somewhere within the organization. People want to point to Brandon (I disagree, he loves Whaley) but I'd guess it's coming from elsewhere.

[i'll repeat before my post gets completely lost.]: Joking aside, what are people's theories as to why Carucci is getting it wrong? (Caveat: Whaley could still get fired after this season even with the extension.) Someone who works in the organization must really not like Whaley. Presumably that's not Brandon. Maybe someone on Rex's team who got the ultimatum and figured it applied to Whaley too? Combined with the Roman stuff, that's the only thing I can think of. But really, I have no idea.

Then why even bother with an extension? The Pegulas could easily wait to determine his fate if they were thinking along these lines. If things are to their satisfaction extend Whaley and if not his contract would be up anyway.

The bolded is 100% true, which to me says there's a chance both reports are accurate. I agree there seems to be some internal grudge against Whaley coming from somewhere within the organization. People want to point to Brandon (I disagree, he loves Whaley) but I'd guess it's coming from elsewhere.

I agree that both could be true. He wants them working in lockstep toward the ultimate goal and working the short term and long term angle simultaneously... but has no problem eating the remainder of each deal if they don't show the progress he wants by next year.

Yes but why give him an extension if he's on that thin ice. And if that's the case, if I'm Whaley I'm not so sure I'd even want to sig nan extension if you're putting me on such a short leash.

Or maybe they were told we need to win next year and Vic is turning that into an ultimatum of being fired.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Yes but why give him an extension if he's on that thin ice. And if that's the case, if I'm Whaley I'm not so sure I'd even want to sig nan extension if you're putting me on such a short leash.

Or maybe they were told we need to win next year and Vic is turning that into an ultimatum of being fired.

It's best that Whaley doesn't even know. Put the ultimatum on Rex alone, even if you're applying it to Whaley too. Extend Whaley and complete the long-term sale. Don't even put an opt-out clause in his contract. He needs to think long-term.

Playing devil's advocate, you extend him for two primary reasons:

1) It shows support and encourages long term planning instead of trying to gear up for one run in 2016 at the expense of the future

2) Pegula doesn't care about eating the remaining 3 years on the deal if push comes to shove.

Playing devil's advocate from Whaley's POV

1) You sign the extension because you gotta eat in a league with as much turnover as the NFL

2) You sign the extension because you realize that regardless of ultimatums and deadlines, it's a win-now league.