The Bills freeagents, cap casualties, etc.. Who do we bring

USABuffaloFan

Benjamin is a weird case. He's actually a lot like Sammy in his Suceess rate on 9 routes is fantastic. He also is very good at comeback, curl, and slant routes. I feel like this compliments Tyrod's game a ton.

I agree that it'd be good to get a big WR but we've got a big weapon in Clay, same height as your guy Alshon. I think Tyrod could utilize Benjamin's talents well as their strengths match up quite a bit (deep ball, sideline curl, etc).

It's not just about height..........Jeffery provides a much larger catch radius with his long arms and leaping ability.........which is what allows him to excel in redzone jump ball and 50/50 ball situations.

Woods and Hogan aren't useful in those regards and they are the types of WR who need to be thrown open with anticipation.

Hopefully Taylor progresses in that regard........but he is not close to that right now. He needs targets that can be trusted to make contested catches.....or at least prevent a turnover(see Hogan's sloppy end zone route resulting in INT for an example of the opposite)

Clay is a nice player but he is just an earth bound TE. There is no parallel there.

The Bills have spent very little time in the redzone this season...........but they've had issues when there and their personnel is poorly suited for it.

If I am an opposing DC gameplanning for the Bills based on this years tape........I try to make the Bills execute long drives.

They haven't been proficient at stringing together first downs.

Make them settle for field goals......even if it meant giving up a lot of underneath stuff/yardage.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just about height..........Jeffery provides a much larger catch radius with his long arms and leaping ability.........which is what allows him to excel in redzone jump ball and 50/50 ball situations.

Woods and Hogan aren't useful in those regards and they are the types of WR who need to be thrown open with anticipation.

Hopefully Taylor progresses in that regard........but he is not close to that right now. He needs targets that can be trusted to make contested catches.....or at least prevent a turnover(see Hogan's sloppy end zone route resulting in INT for an example of the opposite)

Clay is a nice player but he is just an earth bound TE. There is no parallel there.

The Bills have spent very little time in the redzone this season...........but they've had issues when there and their personnel is poorly suited for it.

If I am an opposing DC gameplanning for the Bills based on this years tape........I try to make the Bills execute long drives.

They haven't been proficient at stringing together first downs.

Make them settle for field goals......even if it meant giving up a lot of underneath stuff/yardage.

I totally agree on Jeffrey being special that way, I don't think there's a lot of receivers as good as he is in the NFL right now. My point was more that Charles Clay has the body type to develop into that type of receiver at the TE spot who can make contested catches. Arm length is the same (33" for each) and vertical jump for Alshon was 36.5", Clay 33.5". I'd like to see him use his athleticism more because he has the measurables to do it, but he's not near as good at using it on the field as Alshon is, so we have the potential to have someone develop into that. Whether or not he will is another story.

In my ideal world we sign Jeffrey and Benjamin to get another burner/sideline guy in Benjamin and a tough receiver in Jeffrey, but I doubt it'll happen cause cap. Probably more likely we sign Benjamin and draft a big WR like Michael Thomas from Ohio State to fill the trust catch role. I wouldn't mind that combo at all.

I totally agree on Jeffrey being special that way, I don't think there's a lot of receivers as good as he is in the NFL right now. My point was more that Charles Clay has the body type to develop into that type of receiver at the TE spot who can make contested catches. Arm length is the same (33" for each) and vertical jump for Alshon was 36.5", Clay 33.5". I'd like to see him use his athleticism more because he has the measurables to do it, but he's not near as good at using it on the field as Alshon is, so we have the potential to have someone develop into that. Whether or not he will is another story.

In my ideal world we sign Jeffrey and Benjamin to get another burner/sideline guy in Benjamin and a tough receiver in Jeffrey, but I doubt it'll happen cause cap. Probably more likely we sign Benjamin and draft a big WR like Michael Thomas from Ohio State to fill the trust catch role. I wouldn't mind that combo at all.

I think Benjamin is Cleveland's #1. He and Manziel showed some chemistry. I don't think he leaves there.

As for Clay.......I wish I could agree but the guy looked pretty beat up this year. He is savvy, with excellent hands but I am afraid he is earth bound at this point. He can still run quickly but he has that tell-tale flat footed gait that says "my lower back and knees are shot". Several times this year his knee just gave out on him when he had the football. I don't know if the reports are true about his knees being sans cartilage but it wouldn't surprise me.

Where are we finding the cap to sign Alshon Jeffrey, resign Incognito and Glenn while fixing the defense?

$7.7 million carry over, $150 million projected cap

currently $4.69 over 2016

cut Mario $12 mill savings

Leodis $3.9 mill

Carpenter $1.8 mil

Goodwin $.7 mill

Dixon $1.2 mill

restructure Kyle 8 mill, clay 13.5 mill, graham 2.6 mill

my guess is they can save about $35 million under cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

I don't think it's possible, IMO.

They may find a cheaper option at #2 WR or just go with the same group they have.

Its not plausible

That is actually the problem.....Jeffrey is a number 1 wideout on any team in the league and is going to get paid that way.....we HAVE a number 1 receiver and need to find a way to get a complimentary number 2 that can actually play like a 1a

I am with Bado here though....would much rather have Jeffrey......he is exactly the type of recevier we need.....just like the WR that went to the jets was what we needed and that deal SHOULD have been made if at all possible this offseason.

That is the type of WR we should be looking for

So I know our weak spot is the defensive front 7, and Rex is having personnel issues. It just so happens that Muhammed Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, Demario Davis, and Calvin Pace are all FAs this year. I suspect at a minimum we make a run at Demario Davis, and maybe Wilkerson if Mario gets shown the door.

I'd bet on Harrison and Davis. Harrison is a real good NT. They're hard to find and a key to the Rex Ryan defense. Wilkerson is a beast but he's going to cost a LOT of money.

of the 53 guys who dress vs the Jets.....20 of them will not be on next years team.

I think that number is a little high. Of that 20 that could mean replacing 9 starters, I don't see that.

Maybe 12-15 not back and replacing 5 starters sounds more reasonable.

The owners just said they like the GM and Coach. The GM and Coach say they like working together. The GM brought in the vast majority of this talent or was here while it was assembled.

Where are we finding the cap to sign Alshon Jeffrey, resign Incognito and Glenn while fixing the defense?

Fixing the defense is a secondary priority to me.

Making the QB more successful is the top job of any organization and the Bills actually have a guy who is worth propping up at the position for a change.

As for the cap, high dollar young players like Jeffery are actually easier to fit under the cap because you can put them on long term deals and keep their early year cap hits low.

Incognito could end up getting a 2-3 year deal with higher cap figure in year 1 than Jeffery.

As an aside.......I saw somebody suggest that Richie would get $8M per year and I think that is crazy.

Interior lineman in their mid-30's don't get deals like that. As Evan Mathis.

I'd bet on Harrison and Davis. Harrison is a real good NT. They're hard to find and a key to the Rex Ryan defense. Wilkerson is a beast but he's going to cost a LOT of money.

Who is putting out this mis-information that nose tackles are hard to find?

Terrence Knighton had to settle for a 1 year $4M deal in Washington.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/3/19/8254541/buffalo-bills-2016-salary-cap-space-projection

153mil cap with 5-6 average carry over puts the potential Bills payroll at 154-158 mil

So paying a TE for 53 catches for 16mil this years and 13 mil next isn't a stupid idea. McCoy rarely got screen passes, WR rarely targeted in games. You have 20-25 passes a game right now. This doesn't warrant spending 13mil/yr on a TE when you need to sign your LT, find a RT, sign your LG, sign a #2 WR, sign at least 2 LB's and sign a #2 QB. If Clay could be restructured fine but as his contract stands now, when we signed him Cassell was going to be the starting QB!

Give him a quarterback who can see the middle of the field and watch him work

Fixing the defense is a secondary priority to me.

IMO it should not be secondary because it kept us out of the playoffs this year. We had a top 5 D last year...if this team was even top 10 I firmly beleive we are looking at who we play in the wildcard.

Making the QB more successful is the top job of any organization and the Bills actually have a guy who is worth propping up at the position for a change.

I do agree with this however. It is difficult to push the ball down the field like TT wants to do in the 4th quarter then your RT is immediately overwhelmed in pass protection. And even though TT seemed to get more and more comfortable in the pocket as the season went on.....he kept having to run away from pressure (sometimes the wrong way) if you wanna throw fades to the back of the end zone then get a player that is actually CAPABLE of fighting for a ball.

As for the cap, high dollar young players like Jeffery are actually easier to fit under the cap because you can put them on long term deals and keep their early year cap hits low.

Would love to have Alshon here and I think he and Sammy would compliment each other very well. I also like Sanu from the Bengals.

Incognito could end up getting a 2-3 year deal with higher cap figure in year 1 than Jeffery.

As an aside.......I saw somebody suggest that Richie would get $8M per year and I think that is crazy.

Interior lineman in their mid-30's don't get deals like that. As Evan Mathis.

I agree.....age and past discretion are going to work against Cog. He would be much better off staying right next to Glenn on a team friendly deal.

Who is putting out this mis-information that nose tackles are hard to find?

Terrence Knighton had to settle for a 1 year $4M deal in Washington.

Also agree on this. The pass rush is at a premium because so many QBs pass the ball so much.....NT's are item much like FB's....they serve a certain purpose and are not that versitile. Would also love to have Knighton on the team......line up Marcel next to him and bring in another 3-4 end. I am not sure where this leaves Kyle WIlliams though.

My plan...

Out:

Mario (cut)

Kyle (cut)

Bradham (FA)

Lawson (cut)

Aaron Williams (retired)

EJ (cut)

Dixon (cut)

Pay cut:

McKelvin

Urbik

Re-sign:

Glenn

Incognito

Gilislee

Extend:

Gillmore

UFAs:

Mohamed Sanu

Vincent Rey

Courtney Upshaw

Damon Harrison

Matt Hasselbeck

Draft:

Jack Conklin

AJ Stamps

Brandon Doughty

My plan...

Out:

Mario (cut)

Kyle (cut)

Bradham (FA)

Lawson (cut)

Aaron Williams (retired)

EJ (cut)

Dixon (cut)

Pay cut:

McKelvin

Urbik

Re-sign:

Glenn

Incognito

Gilislee

Extend:

Gillmore

UFAs:

Mohamed Sanu

Vincent Rey

Courtney Upshaw

Damon Harrison

Matt Hasselbeck

Draft:

Jack Conklin

AJ Stamps

Brandon Doughty

Courtney Upshaw is the player I want to replace Mario as well......

My plan...

Out:

Mario (cut)

Kyle (cut)

Bradham (FA)

Lawson (cut)

Aaron Williams (retired)

EJ (cut)

Dixon (cut)

Pay cut:

McKelvin

Urbik

Re-sign:

Glenn

Incognito

Gilislee

Extend:

Gillmore

UFAs:

Mohamed Sanu

Vincent Rey

Courtney Upshaw

Damon Harrison

Matt Hasselbeck

Draft:

Jack Conklin

AJ Stamps

Brandon Doughty

I'm on board with all of the cuts and keeps from the current roster except I probably keep EJ until camp at least.

As for free agents:

I really like Rolando McClain.........I think he is the perfect fit for Rex D.

Physically he is a big, rangy beast.......but what makes him so good is top football intelligence.

He's got his issues but he could be the superstar in Rex defense.

I'd like Eric Weddle a lot too if his market is as soft as his recent production indicates it should be.......the Bills need a physical, heady vet back there.

They need a NT and Harrison would be nice if he is cheap.......but if it's a 4-6 year deal I'd rather get someone else shorter term.

Not sure what the market for Haloti Ngata would be but he can play all three spots in Rex D.

At OLB I actually would prefer Calvin Pace opposite Hughes until the Bills find a rangy young option to fill that spot.

Rex D Jets D worked in his first two seasons when the front 7 and safeties were veteran players and I like the idea of short term fixes up there while we see how his tenure plays out.

Not a big fan of Upshaw......he's tough but I'd like to see tall rangy types at that spot and a 3 man DL that averages around 340-350 pounds.

WR is the number one position on the team to improve, IMO. I'd let the D slide to get Alshon Jeffery but the Bears would be crazy not to retain him.

I like Sanu......he's probably a favorite of many NFL fans because he's been under-utilized in Cinci. He's pretty big and he's versatile so I bet Roman would like him too.

But I'd rather get Josh Gordon and let him play out the last year of his deal......Rex likes reclamation projects......but I know he's high risk and I doubt Cleveland gives up on a certain top 5 WR talent after enduring his issues this long.

In the draft......I always pick a QB first.......but realizing they almost certainly will not I want non-scheme specific players at big $ positions early.

If the right WR....or LT who can play RT.......or shut down cornerback........is there I like those in round 1.

I'd also like to come out of the first 4 rounds with a big pass receiving TE to give Tyrod another short pass option.

I think this draft is very deep in 3-4 front 7 types and they should be able to get depth there in rounds 4-7.

Edited by #BADOL

Miller has been one of the worst-rated guards in the entire league. He's a turnstile in the tradition of all the putrid left guards we've seen the last three years. Line play goes up noticeably when Urbik goes in. This franchise just doesn't get it about the O-line. We haven't seen an excellent or even good one since the Super Bowl years. Always it's other priorities. Glenn, Incognito and Wood are very good; the rest (with the exception of the adequate Urbik) should not be playing in this league. Guard and right tackle have to be the top priorities. With a line strong from left to right, we'll see results. Miller should be demoted to the practice squad.

Someone is knee deep in egg nog

For those of you willing to cut Kyle, if he is healthy, you'd be out casting the only remaining level headed leader on this team. Not to mention losing a tremendous player, injury prone or not. I know he is getting old, but I think you lose more than a DT by releasing Kyle and opening yet ANOTHER hole to fill