The offense needs to change too

1billsfan

I know there's a lot of talk about the defense needing big changes, but the truth is the offense needs to make big changes also IMO. Anybody want to know what Sammy Watkins numbers would be if he had the same amount of targets that Antonio Brown got this year?...

(approx) 1650 yds, 18 TDs, 88 recs

Here's hoping that Rex and Greg drop the old NFL "run the ball a lot" offensive philosophy and change over to the "try to actually score a lot of touchdowns" passing attack. This also keeps your running backs fresher and healthier throughout the year when you do need them to carry the ball a lot in certain games.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong because I haven't done any hard research, but I feel like I remember Kaep's passing attempts going up every year he was under Roman. I'm of the opinion that Roman's offense starts out as run first to protect the QB and slowly adds more responsibilities to the QB as the become more comfortable in the scheme.

I could be wrong because I haven't done any hard research, but I feel like I remember Kaep's passing attempts going up every year he was under Roman. I'm of the opinion that Roman's offense starts out as run first to protect the QB and slowly adds more responsibilities to the QB as the become more comfortable in the scheme.

Let's hope so, because the Bills' offense this season is from a by-gone era. Throw for points early, get ahead and run out the clock with your fresh RBs in the 4th quarter. That's today's game and we have one of the best receivers and RBs to do this.

You can't attack without an experienced QB. Running the ball helps the inexperienced QB get his feet wet.

Last I check, most of Antonio Brown's targets have come from Ben Rothlisburger and I think he's played a season or two.

You may as well start a thread saying we should trade for Aaron Rogers.

As TT plays more the offense will likely become more QB centered. If it can't than TT won't get behind center.

This is the 1st year with this offense, coach and QB...maybe give it more than 1 year. The offense was inconsistent but had some good moments. If the defense played anywhere close to what it should this team would be in the playoffs.

Our offense is trending in the right direction.

Our defense is not.

@The_Bunk

@SalSports Defense was awful, offense slowed down after 5-3 start. You could feel that thing coming apart after the midway point.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Beau

Totally. First 8 games, scored 31, 45, 23, 33, 31, 31, 23, 24. Way south after that.

@The_Bunk

@SalSports Defense was awful, offense slowed down after 5-3 start. You could feel that thing coming apart after the midway point.

@SalSports

Totally. First 8 games, scored 31, 45, 23, 33, 31, 31, 23, 24. Way south after that.

A high percentage of the Bills' points (and quite a few of their lofty stats) came in garbage time. Unfortunately, folks will look at the numbers at the end of the year and conclude that the offense was just fine. They were a 3-and-out (or 4-and-out) machine during long stretches of games this year, and failed at the end of games when the opportunity to tie or take the lead was there. Edited by mannc

I know there's a lot of talk about the defense needing big changes, but the truth is the offense needs to make big changes also IMO. Anybody want to know what Sammy Watkins numbers would be if he had the same amount of targets that Antonio Brown got this year?...

(approx) 1650 yds, 18 TDs, 88 recs

Here's hoping that Rex and Greg drop the old NFL "run the ball a lot" offensive philosophy and change over to the "try to actually score a lot of touchdowns" passing attack. This also keeps your running backs fresher and healthier throughout the year when you do need them to carry the ball a lot in certain games.

To pass the ball a lot, you kind of need a QB who can throw the ball a lot.

I'm not sure Tyrod Taylor is that guy.

We seem to win when we throw the ball <30 times and run successfully, and lose when the passing attempts climb. When teams successfully choke our run, Tyrod has yet to prove he can pass well enough to carry the team on his arm.

A high percentage of the Bills' points (and quite a few of their lofty stats) came in garbage time. Unfortunately, folks will look at the numbers at the end of the year and conclude that the offense was just fine. They were a 3-and-out (or 4-and-out) machine during long stretches of games this year, and failed at the end of games when the opportunity to tie or take the lead was there.

Please define "garbage time". Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the difference between "garbage time" and a fighting, come-from-behind win, is determined in hindsight ie, when the come-from-behind doesn't result in a win.

Which means that the term "garbage time" is, well, garbage.

But I'm willing to change my mind with a good explanation.

To pass the ball a lot, you kind of need a QB who can throw the ball a lot.

I'm not sure Tyrod Taylor is that guy.

We seem to win when we throw the ball <30 times and run successfully, and lose when the passing attempts climb. When teams successfully choke our run, Tyrod has yet to prove he can pass well enough to carry the team on his arm.

Please define "garbage time". Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the difference between "garbage time" and a fighting, come-from-behind win, is determined in hindsight ie, when the come-from-behind doesn't result in a win.

Which means that the term "garbage time" is, well, garbage.

But I'm willing to change my mind with a good explanation.

When the other team has more than a two-score lead and is playing prevent defense. I would also include the entirety of the game tomorrow.

@The_Bunk

@SalSports

Is that twitter sarcasm? Week 4 we scored 10 against the Giants and week 5 we scored 14 against the Titans

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Do you care about wins or stats for Sammy?

How many other receivers are getting the same targets that Antonio Brown is getting?

The offense and team in general has been better the less they've thrown the ball. Tyrod obviously isn't the type of QB to pick a defense apart

Edited by Max997

Let's hope so, because the Bills' offense this season is from a by-gone era. Throw for points early, get ahead and run out the clock with your fresh RBs in the 4th quarter. That's today's game and we have one of the best receivers and RBs to do this.

Its not unreasonable to wish for this.

I think Roman has a method in bringing Tyrod along.

Folks here have kinda covered that.

I actually enjoy pounding the run and punishing the defense.

And this is something i expect to improve next season with McCoy and Karlos. I also expect many other things to improve second year. Including the pass game.

This idiots solution? Why, thanks for asking! Draft OL first pick...trade a pick for another first round pick and take another o lineman. Then trade the rest of our picks to pick another stud o lineman.

The rest of the team is good. The defense will be better next year. Only incognito is safe. Wood is sorta safe but needs to keep chopping wood.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

This idiots solution? Why, thanks for asking! Draft OL first pick...trade a pick for another first round pick and take another o lineman. Then trade the rest of our picks to pick another stud o lineman.

The rest of the team is good. The defense will be better next year. Only incognito is safe. Wood is sorta safe but needs to keep chopping wood.

How come Incognito is deemed safe but Glenn isn't?