Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

I spent the whole day scouring media reports pertaining to Rex being hired. There was nothing in there about his plan to completely overhaul our defensive scheme. In fact, I saw a lot of the opposite. Anyways, I think you get my point.

That is 100% my beef with Rex.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this is all Pegs fault. Having a non-football brain(Terry) being advised by several other non-football brains(Kim, Brandon) on big football decisions(HC hire) is really just a rich kid playing with his billion dollar toy.

Why get a Czar? Surely your GM is paid to be able to make the big football decisions. If you don't trust that he can, you need to fire him and get in somebody who you can trust. As long as Pegs wants to be hands on in the football decisions I feel we will be relying on luck rather than ability to build a good team.

I am a Bills fan. This means that if I owned any of the other 31 teams I would have a great time playing with my billion dollar toy. But as a Bills fan, if I owned the Bills.....there is no way that I would tinker with the football operations. I would pay the best people to do the job....and if they failed, I would attempt to find the best people to replace them. I would let the General Manager do his job and manage the team.

Lol.

What did you expect him to say? "Yea the defense was good this past year, but thats not my style of defense and we are going to run the defense my way."

However, I was some what surprised he was as stubborn in not changing it when the players clearly weren't adapting to it.... I say some what because Rex has always been stubborn.

That's what Gregg Williams said.

Lol.

What did you expect him to say? "Yea the defense was good this past year, but thats not my style of defense and we are going to run the defense my way."

However, I was some what surprised he was as stubborn in not changing it when the players clearly weren't adapting to it.... I say some what because Rex has always been stubborn.

We're not happy with #4, we're going for (3)1.

I understand the criticism of Polian right now, but the fact of the matter is that he built a very good Indy team -- pretty good o-line, great HOF-worthy RB in James, a good TE in Clark, and a great, HOF-worthy receiver in Wayne (he didn't draft Harrison). Plus Freeney, Mathis, and Bob Sanders were all great players, and Mathis and Freeney are borderline HOF players--both have 118 lifetime sacks. They had great pass rushers who could bring it at the end of a game (as both those guys proved over the last two weeks, in fact). Between 2002 and 2009, they had 5 top ten defenses. It was a great team.

I for one don't understand the criticism of the greatest GM this franchise has ever seen and he is arguably the best GM of the 80's-90's-2000's in building not one, not two, but three super bowl contending teams very quickly.

In Buffalo after a 2-14 season Polian promoted to GM in Dec 30th 1985, fired HC Hank Bullough during the 86 season and replaced him with Marv Levy and went 4-12 the year he took over. 7-8 the next year, and went to the AFC Championship game with a 12-4 record in three short years. Fired after the 1993 season in Buffalo.

Was hired in 1995 to be the GM of the Carolina Panthers expansion team. 7-9 their first season and went to the NFC conference Chamionship 12-4 their second year. He drafted Kerry Collins #5 overall who eventually went to a SB with the NY Giants. Two years to build a near chamionship team out of nothing.

After a 3-13 in the 1997 season the Colts hired Polian to be GM and the Colts went 3-13 in his first year as GM, and then went 13-3 in his second year. Two years to make the playoffs and 11 of 13 years his Colts were in the playoffs. It is my belief he tanked the 2011 season by not obtaining a veteran QB until two weeks before the season started in an effort to obtain QB Andrew Luck in the draft. It cost him his job as team president.

There is a real reason the man is one of the few FO people in the pro football hall of fame. There is no doubt in my mind Bill Polian would give these new owners some excellent advice on how to build a super bowl champion team in Buffalo and quickly. Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm ready for that!

I for one don't understand the criticism of the greatest GM this franchise has ever seen and he is arguably the best GM of the 80's-90's-2000's in building not one, not two, but three super bowl contending teams very quickly.

In Buffalo after a 2-14 season Polian promoted to GM in Dec 30th 1985, fired HC Hank Bullough during the 86 season and replaced him with Marv Levy and went 4-12 the year he took over. 7-8 the next year, and went to the AFC Championship game with a 12-4 record in three short years. Fired after the 1993 season in Buffalo.

Was hired in 1995 to be the GM of the Carolina Panthers expansion team. 7-9 their first season and went to the NFC conference Chamionship 12-4 their second year. He drafted Kerry Collins #5 overall who eventually went to a SB with the NY Giants. Two years to build a near chamionship team out of nothing.

After a 3-13 in the 1997 season the Colts hired Polian to be GM and the Colts went 3-13 in his first year as GM, and then went 13-3 in his second year. Two years to make the playoffs and 11 of 13 years his Colts were in the playoffs. It is my belief he tanked the 2011 season by not obtaining a veteran QB until two weeks before the season started in an effort to obtain QB Andrew Luck in the draft. It cost him his job as team president.

There is a real reason the man is one of the few FO people in the pro football hall of fame. There is no doubt in my mind Bill Polian would give these new owners some excellent advice on how to build a super bowl champion team in Buffalo and quickly. Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm ready for that!

Who should Pegs be listening to?

A used-car salesman who knows nothing about football, a junior GM/glorified scout, and Rex f'n Ryan

OR

A HOF executive.

Even if Polian is no longer an optimal choice, he is still light years better than the alternative.

IMO this is all Pegs fault. Having a non-football brain(Terry) being advised by several other non-football brains(Kim, Brandon) on big football decisions(HC hire) is really just a rich kid playing with his billion dollar toy.

Why get a Czar? Surely your GM is paid to be able to make the big football decisions. If you don't trust that he can, you need to fire him and get in somebody who you can trust. As long as Pegs wants to be hands on in the football decisions I feel we will be relying on luck rather than ability to build a good team.

I am a Bills fan. This means that if I owned any of the other 31 teams I would have a great time playing with my billion dollar toy. But as a Bills fan, if I owned the Bills.....there is no way that I would tinker with the football operations. I would pay the best people to do the job....and if they failed, I would attempt to find the best people to replace them. I would let the General Manager do his job and manage the team.

I have a different opinion and here it goes. It is my belief that Russ Brandon has had great influence over these new owners and because they knew the last owner trusted him to run the entire team, that they would also for a time. Brandon probably pitched that he and Whaley have a grand plan working and to please let them see it through. There was the initial contact between the Pegula's and Bill Polian and it was Polian who backed out so I'd have to think at that point they gave into Brandon"s-Whaley's grand plan.

If you go back and read through this thread you would find that when interviewing Rex Ryan for the head coaching job Russ Brandon had stated to the Pegula's "don't let him leave the room" in referring to Rex Ryan. And another poster mentioned that Doug Whaley had a great influence in pushing hard for Ryan to be hired. In any event, I highly doubt these new owners thought that they themselves had the football acumen to hire a new head coach even though Russ Brandon told them they would know who to hire after they talked with him.

Now after seeing their team fail with so much talent I have to believe that some major changes are going to happen in the Bills front office, and with the coaches. JMO

There's no arguing with this. What Polian has done has been amazing. If you put the cumulative football brain power of Kim, Whaley, Rex and Brandon they wouldnt be in Polians league.

There's no arguing with this. What Polian has done has been amazing. If you put the cumulative football brain power of Kim, Whaley, Rex and Brandon they wouldnt be in Polians league.

Polian is a VERY solid HOF guy. Amazing results. Having said that, some of his comments regarding the Bills came off as out of touch. Beyond that, I'd say Whaley has 80% of the football brain power you note above. Rex is probably 2nd on the list, but I want him having zero say in our roster.

(Yeah, it's harsh on Rex, but, well, he blows.)

I don't think Polian did himself any favors if he wanted to become a consultant to the Bills by talking to Carucci and giving his views on the team in such a public way. It is unfortunate, since I think he would have been very helpful to our new owners. I hope someone is brought in at a senior level (consultant, czar or whatever), because it is needed after 16 years of not making the playoffs.

I don't think Polian did himself any favors if he wanted to become a consultant to the Bills by talking to Carucci and giving his views on the team in such a public way. It is unfortunate, since I think he would have been very helpful to our new owners. I hope someone is brought in at a senior level (consultant, czar or whatever), because it is needed after 16 years of not making the playoffs.

Not only the 16 years. Pegula is new to the game and needs to hear from truly successful pros like Polian and Joe Gibbs. He's already heard too much from Rex, which unfortunately got him hired in the first place. And Ryan is neither successful, knowledgeable, or insightful, as he's clearly proven. I want to see him replaced sooner rather than later since there's no sense prolonging the agony. And Terry can afford it.

The ONLY and I mean only knock on Polian's career is that he left a talent deficient squad in Indi. Now that might have been because he had taken his eye off the ball and left Jnr in charge of drafting but you saw once Peyton went down - there was very little left on that team except a bunch of past it old guys. I am not in favour of the czar idea - I think you either believe Doug Whaley can run your football operation and you let him or you don't and you fire him - I am in the first camp I know others are in the second. But if you are going to listen to someone about how you go about building a winning football operation there are few better to listen to than Bill Polian.

His advice would, however, I suspect be what we all know "you gotta have a Quarterback." From his comments he doesn't think we have one yet. I think the jury is still out on that.

Edited by GunnerBill

The ONLY and I mean only knock on Polian's career is that he left a talent deficient squad in Indi. Now that might have been because he had taken his eye off the ball and left Jnr in charge of drafting but you saw once Peyton went down - there was very little left on that team except a bunch of past it old guys. I am not in favour of the czar idea - I think you either believe Doug Whaley can run your football operation and you let him or you don't and you fire him - I am in the first camp I know others are in the second. But if you are going to listen to someone about how you go about building a winning football operation there are few better to listen to than Bill Polian.

His advice would, however, I suspect be what we all know "you gotta have a Quarterback." From his comments he doesn't think we have one yet. I think the jury is still out on that.

I agree either you have faith in your GM or you replace...the GM should be in charge-the idea of some sort of triumvirate with Ryan, Whaley and a "Czar" will just lead to chaos