We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

Top third of the league in his first year starting.

Not good enough for Bills fans.

Nevermind our defense was bottom third.

IMO, this is misrepresenting the discussion.

First off, top 1/3 of the league in what?

Not yards.

Not TDs.

Not comp. %

So basically we're talking YPA and passer rating...and that's fine, but let's be specific about what qualifies as top 1/3.

And the discussion that many people, including myself, are trying to have is not whether or not he's better than what we've had the last 15 years (he is), but rather whether or not he's good enough to win here long-term. One season of 14 starts in which he finished 8-6 isn't enough, despite the fact that he showed some encouraging signs. He also showed some deficiencies (field vision, release quickness, pocket presence), and didn't exactly avail himself in the clutch (failed to cross midfield on 5 potential game-winning/tying drives).

We need to stop conflating the QB discussion with the defense discussion; the defense doesn't determine whether or not the QB is the long-term solution.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sick of "Tyrod's not the reason we lost" crap. True, Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod.

Yes, we can beat teams without great QB's like the Texans if everything goes to plan. But when things don't go as planned we don't have a guy who can sling it and win.

I'm watching the Steelers right now. Tyrod is no where near Rothlisberger and he never will be. Tyrod will never be able to out duel Rothlisberger, Brady, Rogers, Brees, Newton, Wilson, and so on...and those are the guys that are always scrapping for the Lombardi.

Tyrod can get us to the playoffs if all things go according to plan. But that's it. We're not winning much else with him.

That is why we don't resign Tyrod, we let him play out next year while the QB we should draft in the 1st or 2nd round sits a year. That HAS to be the plan. If it isn't, then shame on OBD.

Couldn't have said it better myself. TT is a great athlete and a decent QB, but all he will do is guarantee mediocrity. One step forward, one step back. He will never be a consistent QB to win key playoffs games. And while he will make great plays, he will also get hurt because he is just too small to stay healthy, and will also never be consistent in the pocket which is the key to continued success. I just pray that this is not Ryan Fitzpatrick again. A decent QB who plays well for a while, then breaks your heart......

Couldn't have said it better myself. TT is a great athlete and a decent QB, but all he will do is guarantee mediocrity. One step forward, one step back. He will never be a consistent QB to win key playoffs games. And while he will make great plays, he will also get hurt because he is just too small to stay healthy, and will also never be consistent in the pocket which is the key to continued success. I just pray that this is not Ryan Fitzpatrick again. A decent QB who plays well for a while, then breaks your heart......

I'm curious as to why you believe all of this is a given?

Like, why does his size dictate that he'll get hurt, when it was a horse collar tackle that hurt him? Are big guys not susceptible to getting hurt this way? History would say otherwise.

Russell Wilson, who is smaller than Tyrod, plays a similar style game, and hasn't ever missed a start in 4 seasons.

I'm missing the facts that support your opinions here.

I'm curious as to why you believe all of this is a given?

Like, why does his size dictate that he'll get hurt, when it was a horse collar tackle that hurt him? Are big guys not susceptible to getting hurt this way? History would say otherwise.

Russell Wilson, who is smaller than Tyrod, plays a similar style game, and hasn't ever missed a start in 4 seasons.

I'm missing the facts that support your opinions here.

Russell Wilson might be shorter than TT, but he certainly isn't smaller. Quite the contrary. That's a very important distinction to make since the comparison is made a lot.

The Bills have bigger problems. Disgust with Rex is going to keep all our FAs from re-signing. We're going to have to replace Gilmore, Glenn, and Incognito, and no one good will want to come to Buffalo. The 2017 draft is where we should be shooting for. Our defense will be even worse next year, and without an offensive line our expensive talent will be wasted. We'll go 2-14 next year and have a shot at the franchise QB you want.

OR, the Bills could realize the expensive disastrous mistake they made, and fire Ryan NOW. Hire Schwartz as interim HC for the rest of the year. Next year hire another HC and have Roman and Schwartz as coordinators. Suddenly we'll be able keep our FAs and attract others.

The key is, Ryan has to go before he drives away all the talent the Bills have accumulated. It's a lot easier to replace one loudmouth arrogant jerk of a HC than to rebuild a defense like we had in 2014 and 2013.

I thought rex was a players coach?

tumblr_nlm683LxQk1rj71puo1_1280.jpg

Boys do we have a little bromance going on here?

Just kidding, but that was an easy shot at the homophobic thing.

TT is ripped and hopefully can slide. If he slides well next year, his body type should be able to handle the incidental hits. Big Ben actually takes more chances the way he sits in the pocket trying to shed people off. I love Big Ben, but it's not by accident he's been hurt several times over the years.

This is the first I've ever heard someone make the case for TT being anything other than "slight."

Honestly? That's not snark I'm just surprised by that. I haven't often heard him described as some sort of beefcastle but I don't see many people saying he's "slight". Obviously this is just my own experience.

Edited by NickelCity

Honestly? That's not snark I'm just surprised by that. I haven't often heard him described as some sort of beefcastle but I don't see many people saying he's "slight". Obviously this is just my own experience.

yes, completely serious. and on the flip side, i've heard many people go out of their way to say that wilson's "size" is very deceiving, that he's built like a fire hydrant.

Cat,

Love your posts....but yes I do hear about TT's physical attributes....the guy lives in the weightroom........this is widely known.

Nobody wants the Bills QB to be a physical stud more than fans like me!