Around the NFL: Odell Beckhams meltdown

boyst

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. A lot of folks would be echoing Boyst.

you really get me wrong. let me see if i can summarize this promptly and succinctly.

it is not a hatred or ill thought toward cam newton. it is a a frustration of the lovefest of the guy. he makes 3 highlights a game and than makes 3 piss poor plays a game. that's this year. last year it would be 3 highlights and 4 piss poor plays and one game changing play - usually than hanging his head being immature and not having composure. this combined with his child like persona on the field is a crock. the attitude he takes is refreshing and he truly is just having fun because athletically he is a man amongst boys often times.

personally i know nothing of the guy except for what i know of him around charlotte, where unless there is a camera on him than he is an asshat. when the camera is on the $,$$$,$$$ smile comes out and so does his antics of being Saint like. meanwhile, he's a douche. this versus keuchly and olsen who are truly benefits to their community and do so without the self created fanfare.

a lot of his success, though, i feel - in my opinion - is derived from a watered down league. where yards are racked up like crazy. a qb throwing 30+ INT's in a season 20 years ago was average and now they seldom throw one and throw twice the TD's. Now, they throw twice the yards and get twice as many penalties for being hit. the league has become all about the offense and the stats and me-first.

i would have welcomed newton in buffalo. inside of a fan-vacuum you lose track of reality and seldom see the mistakes. this is why so many of us still support Fitzpatrick, Orton, and many others who were not worth half of our thoughts. This is why many of us thought SJ13 would go on to greatness and fred jackson was going to light up the nfc west. this... this fan vacuum, i think certainly many of us would have been frustrated by newton and his growing pains, especially when for 3+ seasons it felt like he wasn't growing at all and taking steps back.

those steps back are what i fear to begin happening. he falls apart for 2 or 3 games a season and has yet to do so this season but been on the edge of doing so. we'll see if he can sustain his ability.

and don't forget, many many MANY here think tyrod taylor is not the answer or worth going forward with.

Basically same thing Gilmore said

@nflnetwork: "It goes to show you, you go back to the film & watch it...it goes to show who and what he is" - Josh Norman https://t.co/ZnXPrlalao

Beckham has a history of not being able to tolerate stronger, more physical CBs and he's easily frustrated as a result. I think the book on him is get right in his grill, make him have to contest for EVERY ball, and hit him when he does have it. He acts as if he's entitled to score every time he lines up for a play.

He's fortunate to play in the biggest media market and have a very good QB that can recognize defenses and get him the ball. If not for that and a great catch on national TV, his faults as a receiver, and there are several, would be far more scrutinized.

GO BILLS!!!

Basically same thing Gilmore said

@nflnetwork: "It goes to show you, you go back to the film & watch it...it goes to show who and what he is" - Josh Norman https://t.co/ZnXPrlalao

Oh

@josephperson: Norman says fine if Beckham wants to "dance and prance around like a ballerina," but he shouldn't try to be something he's not. ie, tough.

Well I really can see no reason why a corner, any corner, would like OBJ.

He's the best WR in the game.

you really get me wrong. let me see if i can summarize this promptly and succinctly.

it is not a hatred or ill thought toward cam newton. it is a a frustration of the lovefest of the guy. he makes 3 highlights a game and than makes 3 piss poor plays a game. that's this year. last year it would be 3 highlights and 4 piss poor plays and one game changing play - usually than hanging his head being immature and not having composure. this combined with his child like persona on the field is a crock. the attitude he takes is refreshing and he truly is just having fun because athletically he is a man amongst boys often times.

personally i know nothing of the guy except for what i know of him around charlotte, where unless there is a camera on him than he is an asshat. when the camera is on the $,$$$,$$$ smile comes out and so does his antics of being Saint like. meanwhile, he's a douche. this versus keuchly and olsen who are truly benefits to their community and do so without the self created fanfare.

a lot of his success, though, i feel - in my opinion - is derived from a watered down league. where yards are racked up like crazy. a qb throwing 30+ INT's in a season 20 years ago was average and now they seldom throw one and throw twice the TD's. Now, they throw twice the yards and get twice as many penalties for being hit. the league has become all about the offense and the stats and me-first.

i would have welcomed newton in buffalo. inside of a fan-vacuum you lose track of reality and seldom see the mistakes. this is why so many of us still support Fitzpatrick, Orton, and many others who were not worth half of our thoughts. This is why many of us thought SJ13 would go on to greatness and fred jackson was going to light up the nfc west. this... this fan vacuum, i think certainly many of us would have been frustrated by newton and his growing pains, especially when for 3+ seasons it felt like he wasn't growing at all and taking steps back.

those steps back are what i fear to begin happening. he falls apart for 2 or 3 games a season and has yet to do so this season but been on the edge of doing so. we'll see if he can sustain his ability.

and don't forget, many many MANY here think tyrod taylor is not the answer or worth going forward with.

He's 14-0 and about to be MVP, and he's doing it with little help on offense (but excellent help on D).

He's also only 26.

BREAKING:

OSWEILER OUT IN DENVER, SHOULDER INJURY. TREVOR SIEMIEN NOW PLAYING.

He's 14-0 and about to be MVP, and he's doing it with little help on offense (but excellent help on D).

He's also only 26.

duuuude, i've watched every game but two this year start to finish for the panthers. this is a fallacy.

he's got a 1,000 yard rusher.

he's got one of the top OL's in the league.

and he's got one of the top 3 WR's units in the league and I argue that maybe only Denver has better WR's.

Than, there is Olsen. the second best te in the game.

He's had a terrific year, despite the shade thrown around by some. He's got the award locked now.

Damn, he would have looked great in a Bills uniform.

Yup. I was not a believer coming out of college (one of the few QBs I've been wrong about!), but he's really matured and developed his game to match his skill set.

He might never be a Brady/Manning-level pocket passer but he does so much so well it makes him very dangerous.

BREAKING:

OSWEILER OUT IN DENVER, SHOULDER INJURY. TREVOR SIEMIEN NOW PLAYING.

duuuude, i've watched every game but two this year start to finish for the panthers. this is a fallacy.

he's got a 1,000 yard rusher.

he's got one of the top OL's in the league.

and he's got one of the top 3 WR's units in the league and I argue that maybe only Denver has better WR's.

Than, there is Olsen. the second best te in the game.

I haven't watched him as much this year, probably 10 of the 14 games. I'll take your word for it.

I wonder how many around here would be honest enough to say they wouldn't have tolerated Newton's earlier struggles in his career. Five years in and he's arrived as an MVP candidate. Few here would have had that patience.

GO BILLS!!!

We would have been proud to run his ass out of Buffalo in year two! :lol:

I haven't watched him as much this year, probably 10 of the 14 games. I'll take your word for it.

i know i am hard on him, but i'll clue you in to what you've been missing because it's been phenomenal. even with newton being all over the place on some passes. :nana:

i've mentioned it in many threads because the panthers are putting on a clinic with passing in their offensive scheming. shula and rivera finally have a system which could and should be emulated in the nfl. shula isn't far from getting himself an nfl head coaching position - imagine him in buffalo? tannehil would benefit from him, for sure.

what they are doing is getting successful passing on all 4 levels, as commonly referred. they have the deep ball and guys able to run it - ginn. they have the tight end who is elite and can do more then get open in the middle or stretch defensive seams - olsen. they have brown who is tough on short yardage and can pick up passes outside being more physical then cornerbacks. they have cotchery who can handle routes across the middle and the blows he gets from lbs. they have funchess who is still learning and gets open at different points of the team.

to put it in perspective. a 2nd round WR who has 1st round talent and was saiid to be a sure fire starter early is being benched by a bunch of scrub WR's, is one way to look at it. everyone said benjamin going down would kill them and that it'd be on funchess. well, those wr's are outplaying this first round talent by leaps and bounds - literally hauling in a lot of newton passes.

its incredible how their coaching staff and schemes are ripping apart defenses.

its amazing how they stick to the run and use simplistic blocking schemes to garner a back several 100 yard games and putting him on pace for 1,200 yards.

Anyone watching Giants/Panthers? Beckham is having a flat out tantrum. he should have at least 5 penalties.

he attacked Norman several times, one time leading with his helment right at Norman. That will definitely draw a fine, it was nasty.

Someone is going to get ejected.

didn't see the whole game, but they way he acted after scoring the tying score showed what tool bag he is.

Hey dufus you haven't won the game yet maybe wait till you won before you act like a clown.

Kid clearly needs to grow up.

The guy punched Duke Williams in the face straight up. I realize football is a touch game, but punching someone in the face in inexcusable. And the NFL doesn't do anything because he's a star. Doing something like that should earn an ejection. There is something wrong with the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25328711/did-giants-odell-beckham-punch-bills-duke-williams-on-sunday

The guy punched Duke Williams in the face straight up. I realize football is a touch game, but punching someone in the face in inexcusable. And the NFL doesn't do anything because he's a star. Doing something like that should earn an ejection. There is something wrong with the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25328711/did-giants-odell-beckham-punch-bills-duke-williams-on-sunday

That is typical of the guy. He hates it when people get physical with him and he does crap like that. He's cheap.

GO BILLS!!!

Is that a bad thing? I know a few fans that would love to do that.

I will say. Damn! You guys LOOOOOVE FOOTBALL. After Rex and the boys in blue take their walks of shame every sunday. I am done for the week. You, my TBD fam are really fanatics

Happily I watched football today, rather than watching whatever the Bills were doing.

Look I know a bunch of fools think we're supposed to hate Beckham because we used a pair of 1st round picks on Watkins, when we could have waited and gotten a better WR in OBJ for just one. But look at the film from today: Norman was the instigator early on, no doubt. Which is completely in character for him. The refs were calling nothing, even when he picked Beckham up and body slammed him after the play was over. On the helmet to helmet Norman punched Beckham in the back of the head when he ran by to instigate it. Fair is fair guys, just calling it like I see it. Just like fair is fair in the draft, its on our front office for the whiff on Beckham and over paying for Watkins.

Edited by JTSP

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14408956/josh-norman-carolina-panthers-rips-odell-beckham-jr-says-new-york-giants-receiver-field

Do I recall people saying he's better than Sammy? He's a prima donna miscreant and a lousy sport. He pulled crap during and after the Bills game IIRC

At one point, Beckham charged and launched himself into Norman with a helmet-to-helmet hit after a play was over.

"We had discussed prior to the game, going in, what the expectation would be, and he thought that that was all behind him," Coughlin said. "But he did lose his composure. ... I'll talk to him about it, and I'm not going to discuss anymore. Whatever we have to discuss, we will discuss in private."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14408956/josh-norman-carolina-panthers-rips-odell-beckham-jr-says-new-york-giants-receiver-field

Do I recall people saying he's better than Sammy? He's a prima donna miscreant and a lousy sport. He pulled crap during and after the Bills game IIRC

At one point, Beckham charged and launched himself into Norman with a helmet-to-helmet hit after a play was over.

"We had discussed prior to the game, going in, what the expectation would be, and he thought that that was all behind him," Coughlin said. "But he did lose his composure. ... I'll talk to him about it, and I'm not going to discuss anymore. Whatever we have to discuss, we will discuss in private."

On yeah after today I've changed my mind. After the way he got his team fired up and smoked the trash talking Norman for the tying TD. For those paying attention (again) Norman bad been trash talking before the game, and instigated most of the back and forth. Ask cam about his training camp BS when he straight armed cam, and cam nearly dismembered him if not for the rest of the team pulling him off. Truth is Sammy talks smack to the media about his team all the time, something OBJ never does. And just like I have no problem with OBJ defending himself against a punk like Norman (when the refs early on made it clear they wouldnt), I have no problem with Sammy saying he needs the ball more. Edited by JTSP

I watched a few of the clips this morning, and OBJ instigated everything, and yet Panthers players got flags a couple times... gotta love being the darling of the NFL. I'm sure the NFL will 'review' it, either not punish him... or punish him, and OBJ will successfully appeal it.

On yeah after today I've changed my mind. After the way he got his team fired up and smoked the trash talking Norman for the tying TD. For those paying attention (again) Norman bad been trash talking before the game, and instigated most of the back and forth. Ask cam about his training camp BS when he straight armed cam, and cam nearly dismembered him if not for the rest of the team pulling him off. Truth is Sammy talks smack to the media about his team all the time, something OBJ never does. And just like I have no problem with OBJ defending himself against a punk like Norman (when the refs early on made it clear they wouldnt), I have no problem with Sammy saying he needs the ball more.

Go join the Giants website. Spare us your amazing insights.

Obj is more about himself than his team and now is going to be suspended for a game that they need to stay alive for the playoffs. Terrible leadership. This has been a pattern of behavior for him now, he was fined twice for dirty, undisciplined play. Now he's become the first offensive player ever to be fined/suspended for helmet to helmet. Sad.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Look I know a bunch of fools think we're supposed to hate Beckham because we used a pair of 1st round picks on Watkins, when we could have waited and gotten a better WR in OBJ for just one. But look at the film from today: Norman was the instigator early on, no doubt. Which is completely in character for him. The refs were calling nothing, even when he picked Beckham up and body slammed him after the play was over. On the helmet to helmet Norman punched Beckham in the back of the head when he ran by to instigate it. Fair is fair guys, just calling it like I see it. Just like fair is fair in the draft, its on our front office for the whiff on Beckham and over paying for Watkins.

If you are referring to the first drive after Vereen ran for 3 yards, then I think you might want to watch the replay. I just watched that "body slam" and Beckham got into his face first and was pushing him first. Once Norman grabbed him Beckham threw his hands up for a flag (that's his thing) the refs weren't having it though, and saw Beckham instigated it.

Wow, just watched the next drive and Beckham has Norman trailing behind him as he is running, and Norman is looking back at the line of scrimmage, and Beckham abruptly stops so Norman closes on him and does a reverse headbutt. Yeah Beckham isn't instigating anything lol.

3rd drive Beckham just takes a shot at him with his fist.

Edited by What a Tuel

If you are referring to the first drive after Vereen ran for 3 yards, then I think you might want to watch the replay. I just watched that "body slam" and Beckham got into his face first and was pushing him first. Once Norman grabbed him Beckham threw his hands up for a flag (that's his thing) the refs weren't having it though, and saw Beckham instigated it.

Talking is one thing ....happens every play....but picking up a guy and body slamming him well after the whistle is blown is another, and always draws a flag...so why not then? Also the helmet to helmet, Norman started it by rabbit punching Beckham as he ran his route, no flag? No instigation from Norman? Come on

Talking is one thing ....happens every play....but picking up a guy and body slamming him well after the whistle is blown is another, and always draws a flag...so why not then? Also the helmet to helmet, Norman started it by rabbit punching Beckham as he ran his route, no flag? No instigation from Norman? Come on

He wasn't just talking. Here is the GIF although the article agrees with your stance.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/12/20/josh-norman-odell-beckham-body-slam/

Beckham got in his face and got his hands up around his helmet and Norman finished it. Maybe a flag on both of them, but Beckham clearly instigated it.

Edited by What a Tuel

Watkins: we need accountability: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/20/watkins-sounds-off-we-need-to-call-people-out/

OBJ: all about himself and dangerously spears another player with his helmet.

Winner: Watkins.

If we had OBJ on the Bills, he'd be happy with 2 TD's yesterday and gleaming from ear to ear. Watkins wants to win. OBJ is the stereotypical immature, drama ridden WR.

Edited by RyanC883

Dude is a punk...he did the same thing against the Bills...if you play him physical and prevent him from making plays he whines and gets pissed off and starts taking cheap shots at people...

Like they are supposed to just let him run wide open and do whatever he wants

Edited by matter2003

On yeah after today I've changed my mind. After the way he got his team fired up and smoked the trash talking Norman for the tying TD. For those paying attention (again) Norman bad been trash talking before the game, and instigated most of the back and forth. Ask cam about his training camp BS when he straight armed cam, and cam nearly dismembered him if not for the rest of the team pulling him off. Truth is Sammy talks smack to the media about his team all the time, something OBJ never does. And just like I have no problem with OBJ defending himself against a punk like Norman (when the refs early on made it clear they wouldnt), I have no problem with Sammy saying he needs the ball more.

He cost his team the game. You are blind.

Amazed that he didn't play for Rex Ryan.

thats why I called Coughlin a hypocrite yesterday. He went through this song and dance after the Bills game about how he told his team that all you need to do to a Rex team is push their buttons to set them off and they will pile up the penalties. Whether he was right about that is not the question, it's the pot calling the kettle black. This is no isolated issue with OBJ. He has failed at controlling him. Look in the mirror, Tom. Edited by YoloinOhio