Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team

YoloinOhio

Have you experienced a championship as a fan?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which sport?

• NBA
    • NHL
    • MLB
    • College Football
    • College Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Other
    • N/A, I am still waiting

2012 Baltimore Ravens. My kids went to the same school as Torrey Smith here in VA. Torrey comes to their school at least once a year and talks with the kids. They said Torrey is really nice.

Nothing would be sweeter to see the Bills as Super Bowl champs and Sabres as Stanley Cup champs.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke. The people from WNY that root for multiple college teams and have NBA and MLB "allegiances", you're actually part of the percent of sports fans I can't stand.

A couple people mentioned other NFL teams. Pathetic.

As far as I'm concerned, us true Bills fans have the tightest bond. The life long Bills fans have persevered through some of the toughest losses in the history of sports. No one could ever mistake us for fair weather fans. To see some of you celebrate Yankees wins or Lakers or (I can't even believe I read it) a Celtics championship, you should have to turn in your fan card at the stadium gates.

What a joke. The people from WNY that root for multiple college teams and have NBA and MLB "allegiances", you're actually part of the percent of sports fans I can't stand.

As far as I'm concerned, us true Bills fans have the tightest bond. The life long Bills fans have persevered through some of the toughest losses in the history of sports. No one could ever mistake us for fair weather fans. To see some of you celebrate Yankees wins or Lakers or (I can't even believe I read it) a Celtics championship, you should have to turn in your fan card at the stadium gates.

Yeah, I can't get on board with "The Cowboys" (christ, you may as well say "The Patriots"), or "The Lakers". Really, what are you doing here, on a Bills board? Talk about front running...

Growing up in Buffalo, having no connection to say Ohio State, and then claiming them as "my team" seems a bit hollow. I guess rolling with the Blue Jays could work, but....nah, not really. Toronto is a direct rival to Buffalo in other sports, and even as a city!

Or the old "Manchester United, those are MY BOYS!"...please.

Are those experiences really the same kind of gratification as a Bills Super Bowl? A Sabres Cup? Are we comparing a Lakers championship (a traditional powerhouse... "Oh yeah, I pick them. I declare them my team"), 3000 miles away, to a hometown championship?

Edited by HoF Watkins

really? I don't understand that point of view. I grew up in WNY, and I will never be a fan of another NFL team because I'm a bills fan through and through.

However, I have now lived in Columbus Ohio for as long as I lived in Buffalo. 18 years. My kids were born here and immediately wrapped in Buckeye blankets at the hospital. The Buckeyes don't compete with the Bills. Why would being a Buckeye fan impact my NFL/Bills fandom?

As far as the Celtics, my dad was a Celtics fan and raised us as Celtics fans. He became a Celtics fan when the Braves left. I just like the team because I grew up that way and didn't have an nba team in buffalo or Columbus to sway that.

I am still a Sabres fan. We have an nhl team here, I follow them, want them to do well, but It would never trump my true fandom of the Sabres.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So I enjoy basketball yet I cannot have a favorite team to follow and support because my city doesn't have one? And the same thing can be said for the guys on here that like baseball....I was the first to point out here that you can't claim multiple teams and agree 100% against the people that mentioned other NFL teams but your argument against having allegiances to the NBA and MLB is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen written on a message board and we all know that says alot.

Born and raised in the west side of Buffalo before I transplanted to the Bay Area of California, I bleed Buffalo sports blood and I will until the day I die. However, I was born too late for the Braves and Buffalo doesn't have an MLB team so my allegiances lie elsewhere. I've been fans of the Yankees and Lakers from the beginning and I'm not ashamed, that being said the championships don't mean as much because it's not the Bills and Sabres.

Celtics (1980, 1984, 1986, 2008), Yankees (1996, 1998-2000), Orangemen (NCAA Basketball), Hurricanes (NCAA Football), Trojans (NCAA Football), Sooners (NCAA Football), Seminoles (NCAA Football), Portland Seadogs, Buffalo Bison, Rochester Americans, Rochester Red Wings

Bills fans only. Have you been to the mountaintop as a fan of another team? Or still waiting?

White Sox in 2005, but it would never be the same thing as a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl. Where would you rather be than right here right now?

So I enjoy basketball yet I cannot have a favorite team to follow and support because my city doesn't have one? And the same thing can be said for the guys on here that like baseball....I was the first to point out here that you can't claim multiple teams and agree 100% against the people that mentioned other NFL teams but your argument against having allegiances to the NBA and MLB is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen written on a message board and we all know that says alot.

My post against fair weather fans is the stupidest thing you've ever seen on a message board?

May I ask what prompted you to be a fan of the Chicago Bulls in the 90's? Per chance, was it their winning? Oh, it was? Carry on.

Borussia Dortmund

1997 Champions League

2001-02 Bundisliga Title

2010-11 & 2011-12 Bundisliga Title

Plus stinging losses:

2003 UEFA Cup final loss

2013 Champions League loss

Nice.

Italy World Cup 2006. Moment I'll never forget.

I kind of agree. "Rooting for" the Yankees is kind of... cheap. The commonality of their titles and the fact that they were supposed to win it pretty much from 1998 to 2012ish. I have known way too many "fans" who say they like the yankees, but can't be bothered to watch any games or know what's going on until the alcs. When the yankees win the eorld series.... it doesnt even seem that awesome for their fans.

Then you have that new death star stadium with no atmosphere and you see nothing but yuppies in the good seats on tv.

Basically. I can't understand anyone from buffalo rooting for the yankees. They are pretty much the opposite of buffalo sports.