New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

The fringes and extremes of both parties have always been populated by nutters.

What's alarming is the amount of "centrists" (or at least people who think they're centrists) suddenly espousing views and beliefs that run contrary to the basic principles of liberalism, freedom, and American democracy...

... Of course I've been arguing for years that we no longer live in a Democratic Republic, we only think we do... I guess now most people have just given up entirely on the notion that the republic can be saved.

Yes. Because the nuances of history are lost on those who have never bothered to study it.

The fringes and extremes of both parties have become the norm. Nothing will improve until both parties move towards the center.

BTW, removing excrement is a solid idea.

Edited by frostbitmic

Tell us where you start doing away with Christian symbols?

Churches? Crosses? Christmas?

Tell us. Where do you want to start?

Let's start with Mary-on-the-halfshell. All the Cheektowaga natives will get pissy...but let's be honest, it's pretty tacky.

DUMBEST NEWS STORY OF THE DAY http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/08/dumbest-news-story-of-the-day.php

I know, the competition is stiff. But I think we have a winner.

At the University of Southern California, activists have pointed out that the horse that the school’s Trojan mascot rides around the football stadium on has almost the same name as Robert E. Lee’s horse! The Los Angeles Times reports:

When Richard Saukko galloped his chalk-white Arabian horse named Traveler around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum almost 56 years ago, it was supposed to be a one-time stunt.

Instead, the brief performance before USC kicked off its season against Georgia Tech turned into one of college football’s iconic traditions. A succession of white horses named Traveler have followed — Traveler IX debuts this fall — trotting out of the tunnel as “Conquest” plays and the costumed Trojan warrior atop the horse waves a sword. But during a rally earlier this week to show solidarity in the aftermath of the violence in Charlottesville, Va., a USC campus group linked the name to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, whose favorite horse was Traveller.

A USC spokesman was asked for comment:

A USC spokesman pointed to a history of Traveler on USC’s website when asked about the name’s origin.

“USC’s mascot horse is a symbol of ancient Troy. Its rider, with costume and sword, is a symbol of a Trojan warrior,” the final paragraph said. “The name Traveler, spelled with one ‘l,’ is a common name among horses. . . . USC’s Traveler is and has always been a proud symbol of Troy. There is no truth to any other claims or rumors about its name.”

But the intrepid Times reporter investigated and found that Traveler is not a very common name among horses:

{snip}

Mr. Saukko’s widow brings a voice of sanity:

“The problem is this: maybe three weeks ago it was fine,” Pat Saukko DeBernardi said. “So now the flavor of the day is . . . we all have to be in hysteria. . . . It’s more of a political issue. The horse isn’t political and neither am I.”

Do you have to be crazy to be a liberal? I am starting to wonder.

Edited by B-Man

DUMBEST NEWS STORY OF THE DAY http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/08/dumbest-news-story-of-the-day.php

I know, the competition is stiff. But I think we have a winner.

At the University of Southern California, activists have pointed out that the horse that the school’s Trojan mascot rides around the football stadium on has almost the same name as Robert E. Lee’s horse! The Los Angeles Times reports:

When Richard Saukko galloped his chalk-white Arabian horse named Traveler around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum almost 56 years ago, it was supposed to be a one-time stunt.

Instead, the brief performance before USC kicked off its season against Georgia Tech turned into one of college football’s iconic traditions. A succession of white horses named Traveler have followed — Traveler IX debuts this fall — trotting out of the tunnel as “Conquest” plays and the costumed Trojan warrior atop the horse waves a sword. But during a rally earlier this week to show solidarity in the aftermath of the violence in Charlottesville, Va., a USC campus group linked the name to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, whose favorite horse was Traveller.

A USC spokesman was asked for comment:

A USC spokesman pointed to a history of Traveler on USC’s website when asked about the name’s origin.

“USC’s mascot horse is a symbol of ancient Troy. Its rider, with costume and sword, is a symbol of a Trojan warrior,” the final paragraph said. “The name Traveler, spelled with one ‘l,’ is a common name among horses. . . . USC’s Traveler is and has always been a proud symbol of Troy. There is no truth to any other claims or rumors about its name.”

But the intrepid Times reporter investigated and found that Traveler is not a very common name among horses:

{snip}

Mr. Saukko’s widow brings a voice of sanity:

“The problem is this: maybe three weeks ago it was fine,” Pat Saukko DeBernardi said. “So now the flavor of the day is . . . we all have to be in hysteria. . . . It’s more of a political issue. The horse isn’t political and neither am I.”

Do you have to be crazy to be a liberal? I am starting to wonder.

I wonder how many of these people who are SO sensitive to white supremacy that they can't tolerate a horse named similarly to Lee's horse also drive Volkswagens.

Thankfully Gettysburg is taking a stand that the confederate monuments won't be removed. It's part of history for better or worse...if we continue on this path maybe we can forget the civil war or slavery even happened.

It's the correct take. Plenty of room on an actual battlefield to honor not only the fallen valiants but the leaders of both groups. The hallowed ground of Fredericksburg, Antietam (Sharpsburg if you are from the South), The Wilderness, Shiloh, and more all deserve monuments and statues to the fallen as well as leaders from both sides to commemorate what occurred there. No problem. That's our history. That's what happened. Memorialize on the spot in which occurred. Not 30 years after the Civil Wat ended in Helena, Montana.

Imagine being a young professional black dude living in say Charleston, owning a condo in town, law degree in hand, eager to make your mark, and having part of your daily commute take you past a statue of AP Hill. Or Harry Heth. Elevated up on a large platform riding a horse in full battle regalia. You looking up at that every day as you walk to your new job.

It's the correct take. Plenty of room on an actual battlefield to honor not only the fallen valiants but the leaders of both groups. The hallowed ground of Fredericksburg, Antietam (Sharpsburg if you are from the South), The Wilderness, Shiloh, and more all deserve monuments and statues to the fallen as well as leaders from both sides to commemorate what occurred there. No problem. That's our history. That's what happened. Memorialize on the spot in which occurred. Not 30 years after the Civil Wat ended in Helena, Montana.

Imagine being a young professional black dude living in say Charleston, owning a condo in town, law degree in hand, eager to make your mark, and having part of your daily commute take you past a statue of AP Hill. Or Harry Heth. Elevated up on a large platform riding a horse in full battle regalia. You looking up at that every day as you walk to your new job.

The pain. It must be overwhelming.

:rolleyes:

Now imagine you're that same guy and it's 2014 and not 2017. Why is that statue suddenly the cause of such intense grief I wonder?

Edited by joesixpack

Yeah those unfortunate black people. They are sure lucky to have a white guy like you to look out for them.

I wonder how many of these people who are SO sensitive to white supremacy that they can't tolerate a horse named similarly to Lee's horse also drive Volkswagens.

Or use BASF products?

Later in life Forrest denounced the KKK, but if we're going to be digging up graves one would think that Robert Byrd should be on that list.

Why stop at the dead? William Calley should be targeted too... don't 'cha think Lefties?

So if the Declaration of Independence was written by a slave holder and a large number of the signatories were also slave holders, should we destroy the Declaration of Independence and revert control of North America back to the United Kingdom?

Capital idea that! :beer:

Are you making Robert E. Lee analogous to Nazis?

It's the latest fad.