What defensive players fit Rex's scheme?

Pete

I am still wrapping my head trying to figure out what is wrong with our pass rush. We are 30th in the league in sacks. Is it injuries? Wrong players for scheme? If it is the later, who stays next year? And who/what positions do we target in free agency and draft?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still wrapping my head trying to figure out what is wrong with our pass rush. We are 30th in the league in sacks. Is it injuries? Wrong players for scheme? If it is the later, who stays next year? And who/what positions do we target in free agency and draft?

Go back and re watch the New England game when Brady was under pressure for 20 of his 40 drop backs, and was screaming at his O line to block better. That was also without Kyle Williams and Mario Williams!!

That was the anomaly of the season because sacks usually go hand in hand with pressures, hits, hurries, and the Bills haven't been getting it done because of the scheme Ryan has run in every game but that last Patriot game.

Marcel Dareus stated in the pre season he was being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do last season, and publicly stated he was being used incorrectly. Rex Ryan then told the media that his defense was so complex that it takes awhile for the players to grasp / understand it. What that statement is, is complete horse crap because Ryan is asking his DT's to play gap control over rushing. He is also asking his D line to play a zone blitz, and have them drop into pass coverage more then they should.

Some of us saw this in week two in that first game against the Patriots when Ryan had his defense play a soft cover rather then a pressure. What a debacle that was as Tom Brady set a Buffalo Bills worst ever 466 passing allowed by a single player.

Then there is a distinct lack of D linemen rotation, as Schwartz rotated the line much more last season and thus kept those superstar pass rushers fresher in the fourth quarter.

The Buffalo Bills went from 1st in the NFL to now 30th, and from 4th overall to now 20th, 22nd in pass defense. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bills secondary just get a whole lot better after this last draft with the addition of possible Defensive rookie of the year in #2 pick Ronald Darby?

Now, think back to 2010-2011 with George Edwards as the Bills DC when neither the 3-4 or 4-3 worked. Now think back to 2012 with Dave Wanstedt as the Bills DC, and you will find similar results as this season with elite defensive talent.

Its all in the lame scheme Rex Ryan is asking his players to run this year, and it is stinking up the league. Just last game at KC Alex Smith had all day to throw with very little pressure on him, and suddenly he becomes a great deep passer.

Read what Vic Caruccui wrote after the week two game against New England. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

There was also a huge thread on the subject. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/181760-carucci-disconnect-exists-between-dl-and-scheme/page-14

Bottom line the current defensive scheme Ryan is running is not working with the elite defensive talent he has on the defensive line or the elite defensive backs on the roster. Cover scheme over pressure scheme never works.

Rex Ryan = George Edwards / Dave Wannstedt!! :bag:

Dareus would be a 3-4 DE in Rex's dream scenario. Bills would need a big run stuffing DT. Think Jenkins when he was on the Jets. Mario would be a pass-rushing linebacker or 3-4 DE. Bills would also need a bigger safety that could be moved around and a bigger run stuffing linebacker. Kyle Williams will probably be gone next year.

I said this when we hired Rex and people said don't worry about Rex he will fit his scheme to our players. You guys give him too much credit. He is a one trick pony. He only knows his way of running the defense which is the way his daddy taught him. And our players don't fit that scheme because we have a great defensive line and crappy LBs. We have the personnel for a 4-3 defense and that is one of the reasons they played so well with Schwartz. It was very simple. 4 linemen rush and funnel the plays up the middle. Now they have linemen dropping into coverage and LBs blitzing. And its resulting in mismatches and lack of pressure on the QB. I was pulling my hair out vs the Pats because certain plays they had our best pass rusher Hughes covering Amendola in the slot. Wtf? And guess where Brady threw the ball? Rex's defense is supposed to confuse offenses (who is rushing who is in coverage?) But so far the only ones who are confused are the defensive players themselves

Bottom line the current defensive scheme Ryan is running is not working with the elite defensive talent he has on the defensive line or the elite defensive backs on the roster. Cover scheme over pressure scheme never works.

Exactly why the Bills defense is so poor this year, even with more talent added over last year

Rex Ryan = Dave Wannstedt!

Only Rex is also the head coach, which makes it doubly worse

Rex is too worried that a team will run 200 yards on them so he has his DT and LBs playing run first in a passing league. Only time they didn't lay this way was second cheaters game

yeah, we will lead the league in run defense so he is a genius but be 7-9 as our cbs get killed as passers have 4 or more seconds to find wrs down field....

Edited by BuffaloBillsMagic1

Wrong scheme for the players we have here. Pettine & Schwartz had the right idea and got the best results. Rex is trying to force square pegs into round holes with his scheme. And he's too stubborn to adapt it to the players up front so they can do what they do best.

The results is speaking for itself!

The one thing no player on the defense has is the experience.

One of the reasons the Ryan scheme worked well in Baltimore and New York was because you had guys like Ray Lewis and David Harris anchoring that linebacker unit. They instinctively knew the scheme and what to apply when.

IMO, they ask a lot of Preston Brown. He's only in his second year, and he's not only the shot caller of a complicated defense but he's also got to out strategize the opposing quarterback.

If there was one Jets player that *should* have come to the Bills, it was David Harris.

Go back and re watch the New England game when Brady was under pressure for 20 of his 40 drop backs, and was screaming at his O line to block better. That was also without Kyle Williams and Mario Williams!!

That was the anomaly of the season because sacks usually go hand in hand with pressures, hits, hurries, and the Bills haven't been getting it done because of the scheme Ryan has run in every game but that last Patriot game.

Marcel Dareus stated in the pre season he was being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do last season, and publicly stated he was being used incorrectly. Rex Ryan then told the media that his defense was so complex that it takes awhile for the players to grasp / understand it. What that statement is, is complete horse crap because Ryan is asking his DT's to play gap control over rushing. He is also asking his D line to play a zone blitz, and have them drop into pass coverage more then they should.

Some of us saw this in week two in that first game against the Patriots when Ryan had his defense play a soft cover rather then a pressure. What a debacle that was as Tom Brady set a Buffalo Bills worst ever 466 passing allowed by a single player.

Then there is a distinct lack of D linemen rotation, as Schwartz rotated the line much more last season and thus kept those superstar pass rushers fresher in the fourth quarter.

The Buffalo Bills went from 1st in the NFL to now 30th, and from 4th overall to now 20th, 22nd in pass defense. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bills secondary just get a whole lot better after this last draft with the addition of possible Defensive rookie of the year in #2 pick Ronald Darby?

Now, think back to 2010-2011 with George Edwards as the Bills DC when neither the 3-4 or 4-3 worked. Now think back to 2012 with Dave Wanstedt as the Bills DC, and you will find similar results as this season with elite defensive talent.

Its all in the lame scheme Rex Ryan is asking his players to run this year, and it is stinking up the league. Just last game at KC Alex Smith had all day to throw with very little pressure on him, and suddenly he becomes a great deep passer.

Read what Vic Caruccui wrote after the week two game against New England. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

There was also a huge thread on the subject. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/181760-carucci-disconnect-exists-between-dl-and-scheme/page-14

Good post. And ya the thing I can't figure out is why he completely changed his game plan from new England's last week. The New England game plan actually worked and looked like the Rex defence's of old. He must have been scared of K.C taking advantage of the bills being over aggressive by doing screens, but still. Any way you look at it Andy Reid was one step ahead of him

Good post. And ya the thing I can't figure out is why he completely changed his game plan from new England's last week. The New England game plan actually worked and looked like the Rex defence's of old. He must have been scared of K.C taking advantage of the bills being over aggressive by doing screens, but still. Any way you look at it Andy Reid was one step ahead of him

Andy Reid has a strong screen game... It's worth scheming against. The run defense is what fell apart in that game.

Also darby and gilmore had poor games.