Brock Osweiler

The_Dude

He has 5 games to show he can be a starter. If he does well, the Broncos have their successor and will cut Manning. They save the $19 mil and can apply part of it to an Osweiler contract.

There is no way the Broncos let him go if he does well. Now, Manning states he still wants to play, and will have the rest of this season to heal. Does anyone want a 40 yr old Manning for one year.

I say no, but thought this would come up on this or another thread.

Just 5 games, huh?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As bad as manning was - i could totally see them bringing him back for another year while brock gets let go (traded - whatever). They could bring in a bob griffin or something - totally reclaim his career and make him good again.

While buffalo misses the playoffs again. $%*@ Denver.

Yep. Here's the thing: we're used to bemoaning that fact that we're in QB Purgatory. Look at Denver! Two HOF QBs, with even a couple of the in between guys (Plummer, Cutler) being better than anything we've had here since our own HOFer. Look at Indy! Peyton, then one bad year, then Luck. But this year kind of makes that look like pure whining. The Broncos have had pretty much the worst QB play in the NFL this year with a hobbled Peyton. They had to turn over the keys to a 2nd round draft pick we passed on. And ... there they are, having beaten our nemesis while once again we're 0-2 against them, cruising into the playoffs, right now sitting as 538's 4th most likely team to win a Super Bowl. And their dominant defense doesn't need the ironic quotes like our "dominant" defense. There's no reason why this should be true, except that Rex and Thurman (and Whaley) have been outperformed by Wade Phillips (and Elway). And now the Broncos have a great problem we'd love to have -- do they go back to the HOF guy who looked really good as recently as the Packers game a few weeks ago (granted, his only good game this year, coming off a bye week)? Or do they go with their own version of Tyrod, who's been a very pleasant find?

But they play in a weak division, isn't that it! Well ... not really. Objectively, it's the Pats that play in a weak division, getting walkovers 6 times a year with the Jets, Dolphins, and yes ... the Bills. :wallbash: It's frustrating as hell to watch it happen again ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Dan McGwire, 6'8", two TD's for the Seahawks.

I've got to say this "he's too tall" thing is ridiculous. First, he's 6'7" - as he's said, the extra inch came from inflated height listings from his basketball days. Not that that would matter. Flacco is an inch shorter--are people seriously suggesting that 6'6" is fine but a tick taller and you're doomed? Peyton, Ben, Cam, a bunch of others: all 6'5". The reason there aren't many QBs taller than that? There aren't many skilled athletes (or even human beings in general) taller than that. (And if Brock were 6'10", I'm guessing he would've chosen basketball). You're into the long thin tail of the bell curve. Brock will succeed or fail based on his performance, and his extra inch or two of height over a huge number of other NFL QBs will have nothing to do with it.

Philip Rivers has a strange throwing motion and he gets the job done.

You can have a strange throwing motion if it doesn't add time to the ball delivery. Rivers has a quick release and gets the ball out on time. Plus he has mastered how to read defenses.

The concern with Osweiler and other long-armed QBs is that the elongated motion adds too much time to the delivery. The jury is still out on his recognition of defensive schemes.

I'd be interested in any links to your posts recommending Buddy draft Osweiler when he was available. Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

You can have a strange throwing motion if it doesn't add time to the ball delivery. Rivers has a quick release and gets the ball out on time. Plus he has mastered how to read defenses.

The concern with Osweiler and other long-armed QBs is that the elongated motion adds too much time to the delivery. The jury is still out on his recognition of defensive schemes.

I'd be interested in any links to your posts recommending Buddy draft Osweiler when he was available. Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

How is that relevant?

He's an unrestricted free agent after this year...

Does he resign with the Broncos without testing the market? I doubt it.

Do the Broncos franchise him? I doubt it and not sure if they can afford that.

This is a unique and interesting situation and he'll have zero problems seeing over the line.

Thoughts?

Does Buffalo Barbarian approve this thought?

Another guy deemed not good enough by Buddy Nix.

And people wonder why this franchise doesn't ever get better.

Bad front office management that cannot prioritize the game's clearly most important position.

Osweiler may nose-dive with more tape becoming available, but he's been on the bench for 3.5 seasons and seems to have some command. Tyrod Taylor had 4+ seasons and struggles to go through progressions when Sammy isn't there. If only the Bills could identify a QB who grows beyond being a one-read QB?

TT struggles when Sammy is there. He often forgets to throw him the ball.

In another thread this week, some of us were talking about how Bills fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players. Robert Woods and Nigel Bradham being two classic examples. I think the opposite is definitely true of quarterbacks. All you see are the highlights and no one seems to understand that quarterbacking is not an easy job. Every QB makes errant throws, poor decisions, etc. in between the highlights. Osweiler has looked OK. Good for two starts. He is certainly not playing at a level higher than Taylor has played for the majority of the season. Yet in this thread, some people are saying "the Broncos would never get rid of Osweiler, what are you nuts!?!" and then meanwhile, most Bills fans seem to be operating under the assumption that Taylor could never become our franchise QB. You can't have it both ways guys. The answer is that the jury is still very much out on both guys.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Another guy deemed not good enough by Buddy Nix.

And people wonder why this franchise doesn't ever get better.

Bad front office management that cannot prioritize the game's clearly most important position.

Osweiler may nose-dive with more tape becoming available, but he's been on the bench for 3.5 seasons and seems to have some command. Tyrod Taylor had 4+ seasons and struggles to go through progressions when Sammy isn't there. If only the Bills could identify a QB who grows beyond being a one-read QB?

Brock was a 2nd round pick and projected to be much less of a project than a 6th round pick in Taylor. Also I imagine Peyton Manning to be a much better mentor than Flacco. So I think it's unfair to compare the two. Brock was a much more complete player coming out of college compared to Taylor.

In another thread this week, some of us were talking about how Bills fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players. Robert Woods and Nigel Bradham being two classic examples. I think the opposite is definitely true of quarterbacks. All you see are the highlights and no one seems to understand that quarterbacking is not an easy job. Every QB makes errant throws, poor decisions, etc. in between the highlights. Osweiler has looked OK. Good for two starts. He is certainly not playing at a level higher than Taylor has played for the majority of the season. Yet in this thread, some people are saying "the Broncos would never get rid of Osweiler, what are you nuts!?!" and then meanwhile, most Bills fans seem to be operating under the assumption that Taylor could never become our franchise QB. You can't have it both ways guys. The answer is that the jury is still very much out on both guys.

I thought that much was obvious.

When the contracts come up lets see how they have fared?