How bad is Bills coaching???

Dragonborn10

And on another coaching topic: I'm sure at some point we'll see them find a way to feed Sammy the ball.

Every other team with a "stud" #1 does this. Get him involved early. Throw bubble screen to him to get him touches and see what he can do after the catch. Throw crossing patterns his way. Easy throws for short gains where he can use his speed and athleticism to make something happen. Stop just chucking it down field at him on go patterns.

Also, on 3rd and short....bringing in all big players and tight formation.....that means all 22 players at LOS.......don't understand that formation and then try to run the ball.....either spread it out or run play action.......

My big problem with this is the type of team the Bills want to be. They want to be a run first team. Well, that type of team - when successful - is going to end up in a LOT of 3rd and short situations. That's what they are hoping for. It means the runs on 1st and 2nd were productive. Yet when the Bills get into these ideal situations they can't run the ball for a single yard. They get stuffed and have to punt.

They will never be successful on offense if they can't routinely convert those 3rd downs. If they can't convert 3rd and short with regularity then they need to open up the playbook and throw more because they'll never be able to "matriculate the ball down field" (to use an awesome Hank Stram quote) with their current scheme.

Edited by MDH

This is the problem. QBs today don't have either the confidence or intelligence to think on their feet. If the headset signals get fouled up they are helpless. Taylor should have just gone with his gut on that play. If he screwed up then own the mistake. Instead he looks to the sideline and time is wasted lip reading. Can you imagine Kelly, Montana, Bradshaw or Staubach doing that? They were leaders that thought on their feet. The OCs are not on the field. They don't even appear to be intelligent in their play choices. Its so stupid. The technology has made the QBs completely dependent.

This is the problem. QBs today don't have either the confidence or intelligence to think on their feet. If the headset signals get fouled up they are helpless. Taylor should have just gone with his gut on that play. If he screwed up then own the mistake. Instead he looks to the sideline and time is wasted lip reading. Can you imagine Kelly, Montana, Bradshaw or Staubach doing that? They were leaders that thought on their feet. The OCs are not on the field. They don't even appear to be intelligent in their play choices. Its so stupid. The technology has made the QBs completely dependent.

or Brady, Manning(s), Brees, Newton, Flacco...

I mean, I get your point, but I think this may be more of an experience thing. I don't quite think the tech is making QBs, overall, less capable. We just don't have an experienced QB, nor do we have a well oiled machine of an offense.

Tyrod isn't a leader....yet. He does not lead this offense. He looks to Roman.

Edited by 87168

Theories abound. Rex is not an offensive coach. He is a delegator as most HCs are with one side of the ball or the other. You hire a good guy and let him do his thing. Is Roman a good OC( I'd say yes) or is Taylor just not good enough at QB ( yet?) I'd say yes. The coaching seems fine to me. Players that don't know what they're doing make it look bad. I'm sure they are practicing those situations. It seems mostly on the QB to me. That's when he has to be the OC on the field. The difference between Brady and a TT there is staggering. On field awareness and taking charge is lacking in Tyrod. But no one ever wants to blame players.

I will say Greg Roman's play selection was God awful. How do you not take more shots down field??? The Defense played good enough to win. Rex had a good game plan. If Roman had a good one we'd be 6-4.

Oh I think the offensive gameplan was pure Rex too.

He loves to try to run the ball and control the clock and keep the games close against the Patriots.

That doesn't work.

But he keeps doing it and he keeps losing and then it's "aww shucks if not for one play".

The offensive gameplan made Tyrod tentative.

He played tight against the Jets too........but you can do that against some teams.

Not the Pats.

Said it before the game........gameplan should be to hit Brady on D......and attack them thru the air and on the outside of their defense.

Their corners were chasing Bills receivers with their backs to the QB all game........but the Bills didn't start throwing the ball past the sticks until the second half and at that point Tyrod was out of rhythm and playing scared.

Bills should have been up at least 17-3 at halftiime.

It appears that there is no "2-minute Offense", but instead they just try to play the regular offense, as fast as they can.

That doesn't cut it in 2015.

I don't think either Ryan or Roman are good game managers. And while I don't know what Thurman or Roman are like personality-wise, I would hope that one of them would be a detail obsessive ball-buster, to counter Ryan's "player's coach" approach. This team needs that.

Oh I think the offensive gameplan was pure Rex too.

He loves to try to run the ball and control the clock and keep the games close against the Patriots.

That doesn't work.

But he keeps doing it and he keeps losing and then it's "aww shucks if not for one play".

The offensive gameplan made Tyrod tentative.

He played tight against the Jets too........but you can do that against some teams.

Not the Pats.

Said it before the game........gameplan should be to hit Brady on D......and attack them thru the air and on the outside of their defense.

Their corners were chasing Bills receivers with their backs to the QB all game........but the Bills didn't start throwing the ball past the sticks until the second half and at that point Tyrod was out of rhythm and playing scared.

Bills should have been up at least 17-3 at halftiime.

Remember that Pats-Jets game last year (night game) in which the Jets dominated and ran it almost every play for the first 2.5 quarters? They lost. They scored most of their points after they switched to passing mode late in the game.

31 out out of the Jets first 48 plays were running plays. Scroll down: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410160nwe.htm

Classic example of tactics vs. strategy. Rex is all tactics.

Edited by dave mcbride

Punting on 4th and short near the 50 in the 4th quarter down 10 points was the most ergregious of them all...

The problem was the team lost its momentum with the 3rd down call for 3down and an INCH. and they lost four yards running to the sideline.

Remember that Pats-Jets game last year (night game) in which the Jets dominated and ran it almost every play for the first 2.5 quarters? They lost. They scored most of their points after they switched to passing mode late in the game.

31 out out of the Jets first 48 plays were running plays. Scroll down: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410160nwe.htm

Classic example of tactics vs. strategy. Rex is all tactics.

Perfect description.

Disguising blitzes and coverages and running the ball isn't a gameplan versus the Pats. He does it every time. It's a tactic and it loses game.

As much as people want to credit Rex for confusing Brady..........BB knew......beyond a doubt......that Rex would try to run the ball on offense.

Even though there is a ton of tape of Tyrod burning teams deep he KNEW that they would stick to the run and keep throwing the ball behind the sticks.

And since the Bills have a good run offense......they were gaining just enough yardage to keep them satisfied that they had things under control.

Lead to the slaughter by a tired, banged up Patriots team that was ripe for the picking.

Roman's not going anywhere. We have 6 players first year with the Bills on offense. Roman has a history of success with SF with both Alex Smith, and Kaep. He'll get the off season to work on developing cohesiveness among his players, and most likely come back with more synergy next year.

I like Roman.

I think Rex made a mess of this season early by insisting on playing *his* D.........and it cost them games.

Now the season is getting later....they are in a tight spot......and like a lot of bad coaches he tries to play it close to the vest and ends up playing not to lose.

Past two weeks they played not to lose on offense and predictably won 1 and lost 1.

Dick Jauron fans can tell you how the system works.

Run it, run it, pass it and punt it and see who makes the most mistakes.

You just aren't going to beat the tightest ship in the business trying to out execute them.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

So tired of being outsmarted every year by that team. Especially when the fans watching at home know better. The Patriots were ready to get beat and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Horrible clock management at the end of the first half, the predictable playcalling, and just general confusion all around. Just look at the receivers they were down to at the end of the game. Just so frustrating seeing this over and over. Player for player, we were way more talented than them Monday night.

It's been said already but how are you an NFL team that doesn't have a no huddle package? The game is on the line and time is winding down. We showed absolutely no sense of urgency or ability to operate intelligently in this scenario. When I saw the Pats getting their defensive subs in at will it was a pure indictment of our staff.

It's been said already but how are you an NFL team that doesn't have a no huddle package? The game is on the line and time is winding down. We showed absolutely no sense of urgency or ability to operate intelligently in this scenario. When I saw the Pats getting their defensive subs in at will it was a pure indictment of our staff.

Somehow it seems a little incongruous that an offense that features tens of thousands[*] of blocking schemes and a combination of plays and packages in the trillions[*] would come from the same coach's mind who doesn't know what a 2 minute offense is or how it might operate.

I wonder if there is an explanation other than "Roman is dumb". It's possible, I guess. Maybe he has never seen an up-tempo offense. Maybe he has never seen a college game in the last 10 years or so.

Anyway...

[*] These estimates were calculated with a Magic 8 Ball .

Somehow it seems a little incongruous that an offense that features tens of thousands[*] of blocking schemes and a combination of plays and packages in the trillions[*] would come from the same coach's mind who doesn't know what a 2 minute offense is or how it might operate.

I wonder if there is an explanation other than "Roman is dumb". It's possible, I guess. Maybe he has never seen an up-tempo offense. Maybe he has never seen a college game in the last 10 years or so.

Anyway...

[*] These estimates were calculated with a Magic 8 Ball .

It seems like Roman is a guy who concentrates more on designing plays, than getting the offense running efficiently.

Cool plays are nice, but when it's time to do the "hurry up" you need to have a simple and quick "alternate offense". The defense will usually be using a more basic attack too, so it's a whole different, accelerated game. The Patriots have mastered it, but most teams can at least get something going (even EJM with Marrone did).

It's a huge handicap for this team whenever they need to comeback late in a game (or score at the end of the 1st Half for that matter).

Greg Roman is as good as gone.

Listen, if this owner was ready to keep Marrone, and Hackett then there is no way Greg Roman is gone. Unless he gets offered a head coaching job, which I highly doubt.

This OC is dealing a bad RT, and a QB that has started only 8 games. While Roman was brought in to build a power run game, and he has pretty much done just that. However the passing game really is lacking except for some big plays, and that is mostly because of that inexperienced QB.

So many things wrong with this team that have taken way to long to get under control. Penalties have finally been reduced to a decent amount per game. Although boneheads like Henderson should know where to line up after two years in the pros.

It took far to many games for Rex to get his defense to go after the QB, and he did have Brady reeling for most of the game. If the offense could have scored more then 20 points its a win.

Clock management was bad in the game. The two minute drill was non existent at the end of the game with a win on the line. I just don't understand why its so difficult to get Sammy Watkins the ball at least 10 times a game?

The Bills have two really important games upcoming at KC, and Houston at home. Both teams currently 5-5, and are now the 8th seed behind both KC & Houston

@ KC

Houston

@ Philly

@ Wash

Dallas

Jets

Edited by Nihilarian

Listen, if this owner was ready to keep Marrone, and Hackett then there is no way Greg Roman is gone. Unless he gets offered a head coaching job, which I highly doubt.

This OC is dealing a bad RT, and a QB that has started only 8 games. While Roman was brought in to build a power run game, and he has pretty much done just that. However the passing game really is lacking except for some big plays, and that is mostly because of that inexperienced QB.

So many things wrong with this team that have taken way to long to get under control. Penalties have finally been reduced to a decent amount per game. Although boneheads like Henderson should know where to line up after two years in the pros.

It took far to many games for Rex to get his defense to go after the QB, and he did have Brady reeling for most of the game. If the offense could have scored more then 20 points its a win.

Clock management was bad in the game. The two minute drill was non existent at the end of the game with a win on the line. I just don't understand why its so difficult to get Sammy Watkins the ball at least 10 times a game?

The Bills have two really important games upcoming at KC, and Houston at home. Both teams currently 5-5, and are now the 8th seed behind both KC & Houston

@ KC

Houston

@ Philly

@ Wash

Dallas

Jets

I was joking. Some guy was whining about how we were gonna lose Greg Roman after we beat the colts week one.

Thread was titled Greg Roman is as good as gone. #doomed.

Funny stuff.

What should they have done?

Pass it 50 times with Tyrod?

The offense wasn't run run pass. They took their shots. Taylor just missed them most of the time. The problem I had with the offense was no sense of urgency. At all. It looked like Tyrod wanted to get the !@#$ out of there as soon as the game started.

Pass early and put up points.

It's as clear as day.

Wasn't going to take 50 passes to get it done.

Teams that have attacked the Patriots have moved it with great success.

Because their defense is not that talented and when you attack you pit talent versus talent.

This is not an offense that can regularly execute long drives.

You get in a back and forth execution battle with the Patriots.....you lose.

Very smart post. Too bad our HC can't see what you see. And he never will. Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator - not a head coach.

actually a very smart opinion to the post you responded to. I have already come up with a final assessment of this team & coaching staff before this season is over. #1 takeaway is this coaching staff has not properly utilized the talents & skill sets of players on both sides of the ball, leading to the Bills as a contender for the most underachieving team in the NFL.

A close second would be undisciplined, far too penalized, and WAY too many 3 and outs.