Mike Pereira: Bills should have had one more play

YoloinOhio

Dear Lord, what an embarrassment for the NFL, they should be ashamed

And I - obviously- don't know their internal ratings of officials but one has to assume that they put some of their best crews on Monday night games since the nation is watching.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ball have to cross the line of scrimmage when a QB is being rushed and just throws it away even when he is outside of the pocket? I think there was at least one and maybe two times that Brady just dumped the ball two yards ahead of him but behind the LOS that should have been intentional grounding. If it doesn't have to be beyond the line then why don't guys just spike the ball all the time instead of tossing it way out of bounds. I think he got away with a couple, one in particular.

You're absolutely right and I saw that pass too. It was two yards short of the LoS and I was screaming at my TV that it should have been grounding.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to have a receiver near the ball I believe if it doesnt ge to the LOS.

You are right. That is probably what they ruled. However, the actual rule is grounding if you are just throwing the ball to avoid getting the sack. There was not any attempt whatsoever to get the ball to the receiver who was a few yards away from them. They aren't going to call that against Brady but it's textbook grounding. They give you the benefit of the doubt if there is a receiver in the area, and they should. But when there is 0.0% attempt at a completion and you are 100% throwing the ball in the dirt to avoid the sack they are supposed to call grounding.

And I - obviously- don't know their internal ratings of officials but one has to assume that they put some of their best crews on Monday night games since the nation is watching.

You're absolutely right and I saw that pass too. It was two yards short of the LoS and I was screaming at my TV that it should have been grounding.

Guy has made a living off that

Anytime his pick play isn't open and there is a pass rush he throws it at the ground

Never gets called

Idk what to say pats fans will cry over that whistle but overall the bills got no calls

You are right. That is probably what they ruled. However, the actual rule is grounding if you are just throwing the ball to avoid getting the sack. There was not any attempt whatsoever to get the ball to the receiver who was a few yards away from them. They aren't going to call that against Brady but it's textbook grounding. They give you the benefit of the doubt if there is a receiver in the area, and they should. But when there is 0.0% attempt at a completion and you are 100% throwing the ball in the dirt to avoid the sack they are supposed to call grounding.

I agree, but it is rare see Intentional Grounding ever called. I have seen it a few times myself this year with the Pats D rush making the QB throw it away. Almost like they been told dont call it we want more points..

:thumbsup::thumbsup: um yeah we blew the whistle but we are going to give it to em anyway, oh and you deserve a 15 yd penalty for questioning our authority.

And then we have to listen to the announcers say over and over that the Pats got screwed because Amendola would have scored. BS. Darby would have tacked him immediately but he stopped running when the whistle blew. Incredible.

Well said boys... Also happens to be 100% correct.

The call on Ryan was complete BS and the officials trying to over compensate for their own mistake.

Darby clearly stopped playing on the whistle, he may have even broken up the pass (maybe...), but Amendola wasnt going to score, that was some the biggest BS Mike Tirico has ever spewed out of his pie hole.

Edited by P51

Guy has made a living off that

Anytime his pick play isn't open and there is a pass rush he throws it at the ground

Never gets called

Idk what to say pats fans will cry over that whistle but overall the bills got no calls

The whistle was BAD, so was the late hit on Brady, the missed PI call when Lafell wasnot allowed to get back tot he ball and I dont know how many times Chandler Jones was held but I lost count lol..

But in general it was gawd awful both ways, I mentioned the missed Late hit on Taylor, the time running out at the end of the game.. etc

I agree, but it is rare see Intentional Grounding ever called. I have seen it a few times myself this year with the Pats D rush making the QB throw it away. Almost like they been told dont call it we want more points..

I don't mind even if the QB makes a feeble attempt. Even though you know for sure they are just throwing it away to avoid the sack, if they throw a genuine pass in the general vicinity of someone or heave it out of bounds I say let them get away with it. When they just drill it into the dirt like the Brady one last night and makes zero attempt whatsoever to even throw the ball three yards it should be automatic grounding.

Did you happen to catch the Bills Dolphins game last November when Walt Coleman called Kyle Orton for intentional grounding on Thursday night? If that was IG, Brady should have been called for it numerous times last night.

I've never seen a game where so many plays with questionable calls or noncalls had no replay. It was ridiculous. And even when they did like the inadvertent whistle they were so focused on bemoaning the injustice to the pats they didn't even focus on the relevant facts like the whistle blew before the pass was completed,and the play was dead when rex allegedly 'interfered'. The three plays where patriot players almost ripped players heads off on tackles with no call or replay was esp unbelievable given all the focus on that and when you consider the ridiculous call in the redskins game

Edited by stevewin

The whistle was BAD, so was the late hit on Brady, the missed PI call when Lafell wasnot allowed to get back tot he ball and I dont know how many times Chandler Jones was held but I lost count lol..

But in general it was gawd awful both ways, I mentioned the missed Late hit on Taylor, the time running out at the end of the game.. etc

Not trying to make excuses game was a joke to watch and not surprised end of the day we needed to win the next two anyways

You are absolutely correct. That is the definition of grounding. Throwing ball away to avoid a sack

i really didn't have problems with most of those 'groundings'. he wasn't in any immediate danger of being sacked, he simply gave up on the play before it progressed. I understand he was being pressured but a lot of those throws into the ground were casual tosses without being under imminent duress.

You are absolutely correct. That is the definition of grounding. Throwing ball away to avoid a sack

:thumbsup::thumbsup: um yeah we blew the whistle but we are going to give it to em anyway, oh and you deserve a 15 yd penalty for questioning our authority.

I re watched the inadvertent whistle play on TIVO. THE whiste blew ater Tommy threw it and before the WR caught it. Should have been no play, thus no penalty on Rex. Instead they got a free 25 yards and 1st down.

Then we get crewed out of the last play of the game.

i really didn't have problems with most of those 'groundings'. he wasn't in any immediate danger of being sacked, he simply gave up on the play before it progressed. I understand he was being pressured but a lot of those throws into the ground were casual tosses without being under imminent duress.

He is avoiding a loss of yards or being hit

It does matter if a qb can just ground the ball over and over and save time, yards and being hit

yeah i know, but i viewed those throws as nothing more than sailing it out of bounds or out of the endzone....there were far more egregious issues last night, by rule, yeah they could/should have been called, but those were the least of my concerns last night.

He is avoiding a loss of yards or being hit

It does matter if a qb can just ground the ball over and over and save time, yards and being hit

To summarize Pats-bad v. Bills-bad:

Pats-bad is a whistle blown killing what should have been a good play...resulting in a 25+ yard gain on a play where the mistake by the officials should have resulted in a re-do.

Bills-bad is a horribly blown PI call where the pats player collides with the receiver and where should have placed the ball in the red zone during a road game where you are 1-168 against the opponent.

Bills-bad is an official winding the clock on a play that is really the most basic call on a player going out of bounds during the final two minutes of an important game, a scenario that occurs in virtually every NFL game decided by less than 10 points, and the explanation for the call is that the player 'gave himself up' while madly scrambling to get out of bounds to stop the clock.

there's more but the throbbing in my skull may be indicative of a brain bleed.

The ref that Rex allegedly interfered with was way out of bounds on the Bills sidelines. That;s where Rex is supposed to be, the refis not unless he is breaking up a fight. Rex didn't fight the last play call because he knew the fix was in, It would;t have made any difference,

The Bills should have had about 2-3 more plays. First at 1:35, the clock should have been stopped at the end of the play for review. Next around :40 when the refs took their sweet time placing the ball and let about :10 seconds run off before letting us snap it and finally at :02 when Sammy clearly rolled out of bounds.

Overall again, the officiating in the NFL is a sick sad joke.