NBA/Golden State Warriors thread

Maury Ballstein

OKC peaked? If that's why he is leaving, he is a fool.

They were up 3-1 on Golden State in the western finals. yeah, they choked-- but they pretty much had the title in their sights, after playing through probably the most grueling playoff schedule in NBA history (Mavs, 67-win Spurs, 73-win GS).

If you've watched OKC through the years, the duo of Durant and Westbrook wasn't going to get it done. Westbrook may be good, but his decision making and maturity make him a danger to be the guy with the ball in his hand every trip down the floor.

And yes, peaked. They were in the finals a few years ago. They've been to the conference championship several times recently. Had they won, they still weren't going to beat Cleveland.

Most blown leads in the 4th quarter in the NBA this past season. That's not a championship team. That's a team that's still trying to figure out how to win. If Durant and Westbrook can't figure out how to win those games after being together for this long, it isn't going to happen.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am kind of on both sides of this issue, i have always had an affinity for the 76ers strictly because of their history as the Syracuse Nationals, but it was more of a casual fan thing, I tended to root more for SU players in the NBA as opposed to teams, for instance, I rooted for Denver because Carmelo was there, but once he left Denver fell off my radar. That being said, now that I am living in Philly, I have become a much more active 76ers fan, but still if a Syracuse player comes to town on an opposing team, I will go and root for that player and team probably slightly more than the Sixers.

I don't understand why people tend to side with pro athletes rather than teams. The teams at least have SOME desire to please fans. The athletes could give less of a damn.

Edited by The Poojer

i am kind of on both sides of this issue, i have always had an affinity for the 76ers strictly because of their history as the Syracuse Nationals, but it was more of a casual fan thing, I tended to root more for SU players in the NBA as opposed to teams, for instance, I rooted for Denver because Carmelo was there, but once he left Denver fell off my radar. That being said, now that I am living in Philly, I have become a much more active 76ers fan, but still if a Syracuse player comes to town on an opposing team, I will go and root for that player and team probably slightly more than the Sixers.

When it comes to the NFL, i root for the Bills. Not Tyrod Taylor, Sammy Watkins, or any individual player. I root for the team.

I don't identify at ALL with pro athletes. I don't find them likeable, I don't find them approachable.

me too, same with baseball and the yankees, nba I am not that invested in a single team, love the sport, nhl, could give to ***** about unless and until the sabres make the playoffs, then i will pretend to care about hockey

When it comes to the NFL, i root for the Bills. Not Tyrod Taylor, Sammy Watkins, or any individual player. I root for the team.

I don't identify at ALL with pro athletes. I don't find them likeable, I don't find them approachable.

If you've watched OKC through the years, the duo of Durant and Westbrook wasn't going to get it done. Westbrook may be good, but his decision making and maturity make him a danger to be the guy with the ball in his hand every trip down the floor.

And yes, peaked. They were in the finals a few years ago. They've been to the conference championship several times recently. Had they won, they still weren't going to beat Cleveland.

Most blown leads in the 4th quarter in the NBA this past season. That's not a championship team. That's a team that's still trying to figure out how to win. If Durant and Westbrook can't figure out how to win those games after being together for this long, it isn't going to happen.

Your points are well-taken.

You just have to wonder though what another year under Donovan and maybe one more guy (like Horford) could have done to that team. They have been right there on the edge.

Your points are well-taken.

You just have to wonder though what another year under Donovan and maybe one more guy (like Horford) could have done to that team. They have been right there on the edge.

I think an overlooked point is Wedtbrook's impending FA next year. If Durant signs a 5 year deal wth OKC and they "get close" and Westbrook leaves, Durant is screwed.

I don't understand why people tend to side with pro athletes rather than teams. The teams at least have SOME desire to please fans. The athletes could give less of a damn.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Then why so upset when a player leaves?

The team is still there, so you should be happy right?

Because I want what's best for the team, not that player.

Teams are made of players that have their own lives. Would you want someone to hate you because you make a decision that you feel benefits you in your professional life?

This is a much too simplistic perspective, IMO. You're saying you'd be content watching a league in which teams are comprised of faceless robots?

Like Seinfeld said, we are all rooting for "the laundry" -- but the individual players enhance those rooting interests, not lessen them.

They absolutely can protect against that. Teams with player's bird rights can offer more money over a longer period, and go over the cap to re-sign homegrown players.

The real reason this is a problem is because there is no sense of competition anymore. Instead of GS and OKC having 3 years of an awesome rivalry, where Draymond and Durant were sniping at each other, and Curry was going 1v1 for stretches on Westbrook, we get the super friends.

The rivalries of the old NBA are dead. No more Magic/Bird.

I don't blame the players at all. Why wouldn't you want to go to a stacked team where you don't have to work as hard for 90% of the season and still get deep in the playoffs?

IMO, the dilemma is that there is too much money toward the salary cap now. In a sport with 5 starters, there shouldn't be enough cap space on any one team to afford 3 superstars. If the NBA wants a more competitive league that's the only way to get it done. But honestly, it seems to me that the NBA is gaining in popularity the last few years, so I'm guessing it's not an issue to them.

the owners desire to line their trophy shelves and/or pockets. Professional sports are not a philanthropic enterprise.

I don't blame the players at all. Why wouldn't you want to go to a stacked team where you don't have to work as hard for 90% of the season and still get deep in the playoffs?

IMO, the dilemma is that there is too much money toward the salary cap now. In a sport with 5 starters, there shouldn't be enough cap space on any one team to afford 3 superstars. If the NBA wants a more competitive league that's the only way to get it done. But honestly, it seems to me that the NBA is gaining in popularity the last few years, so I'm guessing it's not an issue to them.

Agreed you can't blame the player because each measures success in his own way. It's just a lame evolution of the league.

And let's just not be in a rush to crown Durant an all time great when he wins a title with a team that was already the best in the league. If he was truly great he would have done it with his own team.

Because some players had a sense of competition. I'm not saying it's logical or even smart, but there's a reason Kobe never jumped ship to play with stars.

The NBA is reaping what they sow with them voting against incremental salary cap increases. This wouldn't be an issue without them wanting that money to go into the cap straight away.

Teams are made of players that have their own lives. Would you want someone to hate you because you make a decision that you feel benefits you in your professional life?

I'm not a public figure, so that's a moot point.

the owners desire to line their trophy shelves and/or pockets. Professional sports are not a philanthropic enterprise.

Never said it was. But they do represent a community

Because some players had a sense of competition. I'm not saying it's logical or even smart, but there's a reason Kobe never jumped ship to play with stars.

You mean because they came to LA to play with him? It's not Kobe was alone his whole career.

I'm not a public figure, so that's a moot point.

Never said it was. But they do represent a community

You need to define public figure. Because with a statement like that, I think it's going to come down to something based on your opinion. Your opinion says that a professional athlete and other various people have to live by a standard that you set for them in order to make you happy.

Good luck with that.