Does anyone else automatically skip BN Sully articles?

Bocephuz

All fair points and I apologize if I jumped to conclusions regarding your intentions. But I had detected a favorable bias in your posts re: TT and thought that his article today annoyed you cos it did not fit your analysis.

Peace out.

I second that wholeheartedly. How do you un-watch something so hideous ?

right on...

I come here for all my Bills needs. Sully is a dinosaur. The younger guys are following, unfortunately, in his footsteps rather than Kelley or Felser. In today's media, again unfortunately, it's about opinions and who can be the most outrageous rather than being a good, keen observer and reporter. And I'm older not, I don't need to read what they report or say if I watched the game. I read politics and government articles because I don't attend meetings but if I did, I wouldn't read them either. Just have zero need for someone's opinion on the Bills.

Ever try to search the BN archive?

ARTICLE PROMOTING IDEA OF SIGNING ORTON TO A LONG TERM EXTENSION - Nov 2, 2014

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2014/11/02/orton-has-time-on-his-side/

The Bills would be wise to approach his agent soon and explore the possibility of an extension. I could see him being the starter for two or three more years and serving as a mentor for his eventual successor.

ARTICLE WRITTINEN 2 WEEKS LATER

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/15/now-may-be-time-for-manuels-return/

That’s wishful thinking. I’d put Manuel back in now. I’ll admit, I was too quick to anoint Orton as a short-term answer. I should have waited to see if he could do what so many other Bills QBs had failed to do before him – win big games in the second half of a season.

__ __

Umm.. yeah... problem is Jerry you are usually too quick in making these kind of statements. I do retract my previous accusation of him not acknowledging his previous statement however ( my apologies)

Still doesn't change the fact that he lost all credibility with me after this series of articles. I realize he is the "opinion" guy and Dunne is the nuts and bolts guy.. but if you're going to voice an opinion don't bail on it after 2 weeks.

ARTICLE PROMOTING IDEA OF SIGNING ORTON TO A LONG TERM EXTENSION - Nov 2, 2014

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2014/11/02/orton-has-time-on-his-side/

The Bills would be wise to approach his agent soon and explore the possibility of an extension. I could see him being the starter for two or three more years and serving as a mentor for his eventual successor.

ARTICLE WRITTINEN 2 WEEKS LATER

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/15/now-may-be-time-for-manuels-return/

That’s wishful thinking. I’d put Manuel back in now. I’ll admit, I was too quick to anoint Orton as a short-term answer. I should have waited to see if he could do what so many other Bills QBs had failed to do before him – win big games in the second half of a season.

__ __

Umm.. yeah... problem is Jerry you are usually too quick in making these kind of statements. I do retract my previous accusation of him not acknowledging his previous statement however ( my apologies)

Still doesn't change the fact that he lost all credibility with me after this series of articles. I realize he is the "opinion" guy and Dunne is the nuts and bolts guy.. but if you're going to voice an opinion don't bail on it after 2 weeks.

At least he admitted his 180.

At least he admitted his 180.

Yes.. I give him credit for that.

I would think most professional journalists would think a few steps ahead before making that kind of statement in print.. contingency planning so to speak. Like .. ok.. if I go out on a limb here then how will I react if he is really bad for the next 2 games.... next 4 games... rest of the season etc.??? If your statement doesn't hold up for those conditions.. then don't make it. There are ways to hedge your opinions. Sullivan is too lazy to think strategically and hedge his phraseology and he would rather do a 180 and apologize after the fact than put in a few extra minutes of planning before writing his article. " An ounce of prevention prevents a gallon of blood."

Edited by Bocephuz

Often times I see a BN headline and click on it.. and when I see the author is Jerry Sullivan I automatically close it out .. skip it.. and don't even bother to read it.

Anyone else?

Yes, on both Sully and Bucky Gleason's articles. Those two are terrible hacks!

I almost always skip Sullivan. He strikes me as both over-critical and self agrandizing. I started to skim the TT article, but stopped: I don't need him to tell me that Taylor hasn't yet proven himself to be a franchise QB. After all, who legitimately can be called a franchise QB after seven NFL starts?

No, which is why I called him lazy. But his job is to get people talking and reading and he's good at it. I bet his bosses love him even when 90% of his readership seems to hate him.

Maybe so. That's why I don't click on him. I don't even enjoy hating him. He's too boring to hate, for me. He's just bad.

Though I guess we are talking about him in this thread, so you got me there. Hopefully the BN doesn't see this thread - wouldn't want to encourage them.

I almost always skip Sullivan. He strikes me as both over-critical and self agrandizing. I started to skim the TT article, but stopped: I don't need him to tell me that Taylor hasn't yet proven himself to be a franchise QB. After all, who legitimately can be called a franchise QB after seven NFL starts?

captain-bobvious-captain-obvious-dumb-su

Often times I see a BN headline and click on it.. and when I see the author is Jerry Sullivan I automatically close it out .. skip it.. and don't even bother to read it.

Anyone else?

Damn straight that's me.

I wish we could persuade SDS and whoever else is linking the articles to put the author after the title so that I could do a better job at "see and avoid"

Anyone else continuing to get ticked off when Sully says all the stats TT got in the 1st Pat's game was in 'garbage time'??!!

IMO there is no such thing as 'garbage time' when you're down by one score with 4-5 minutes to go!

One of the reporters, perhaps Jerry himself because that is what he is wont to do, at some point after the game asked Tyrod about the garbage time. Tyrod said that the entire game the Pats were playing the same defense and coverages and there was no difference between when it was close and when we were down 24. It surely was no difference on offense whatsoever so why would he change the defense.

Anyone else continuing to get ticked off when Sully says all the stats TT got in the 1st Pat's game was in 'garbage time'??!!

IMO there is no such thing as 'garbage time' when you're down by one score with 4-5 minutes to go!

That's my beef with the whole concept of "garbage time". If you're down by a bunch of scores and you come back and win, it's a brilliant come-from-behind victory and no one mentions garbage time. If you come back enough to put a good scare into the opponent coach's undershorts, but you fall short.....then it's either "garbage time" or a comeback that fell short, who makes the call?

That's my beef with the whole concept of "garbage time". If you're down by a bunch of scores and you come back and win, it's a brilliant come-from-behind victory and no one mentions garbage time. If you come back enough to put a good scare into the opponent coach's undershorts, but you fall short.....then it's either "garbage time" or a comeback that fell short, who makes the call?

I guess Sully! :doh:

I am pretty sure you wrote this after seeing the title and synopsis of his article on TT. I dont automatically take a pass on his articles, I do read it just to see what he has to say. Most of the times he is wrong. There is little to argue about on his Taylor article today. For all the good that Taylor has done, he appears to be a player of halves. too often, brilliant halves are masked by atrocious ones. I am not ready to buy into him as a long term answer. Just the best we have right now.

Speaking just for myself, even a busted clock is right twice a day and when I do read Sully opinion pieces I find good points. With regard to Tyrod Taylor,I see a lot of promise, and I see some of the same mistakes we excoriate EJ for...failing to spot open guys, off target throws, rolling out of the pocket when he could step up, the occasional dumb ass pick, taking sacks when he should throw it away. He's young as a player, he's showing promise, but he's far from "mistake free" and I would like to see some continued development before we invest heavily in him as the future of the franchise.

Even when I find good points in Sully pieces though, the portentious way he makes them and also the way he mixes in totally unsupported opinion just irritates me, which is why I prefer to avoid his stuff. De gustibus non disputandum and all that

i do the same when i see these threads.

jw

I just love the taste of irony in the afternoon. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Sully seems to me to be much like all of us: Sometimes what he writes earns a nod of agreement, and sometimes a negative shake of the head. His column presents his opinion, much as we bring our opinions and biases when we read him or any other columnist.

So, read him or don't read him....

Edited by Keukasmallies