Fitzy speaks on Buffalo!

FireChan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little unrelated, but fitz and the jets with a winning record reminds me of how good a game caller Chan is.

The guy is the best OC around, and has been for a long time in my book.

So good he got promoted to HC which isnt where he's best. Same with Wade as a DC. Those guys are still among the best coordinators in the game.

Gailey is indeed an excellent playcaller.

He was playing really well, the problem was that it was a small sample of his overall body of work. Should have been an incentive based contract, then if he went belly up (as he did) no one would be feeling like he had to go.

Tyrod has the same problem, everyone is thinking he is going to be the next big thing. Just like alot of us did with Fitz. I hope he is, but I also hope they learned their lesson with Fitz and give him a reasonable contract with incentives that give him the ability to get paid big if he plays big.

Tyrod has done things Fitz could only do in his wet dreams.

Posted my opinion of what would have likely happened if the Bills actually drafted TT - mainly that Chan and Marrone would have ruined him as a rookie.

All said I distinctly remember thinking that we could have had TT in 2011 while Fitz was still a viable starter and also thinking that TT was available i rounds 3,4,or 5.

The house cleaning that got rid of Chan also cleaned out Fitz and brought in DM and EJ. Almost turned in my Bills card then. I think Fitz was a great starter - especially to coach TT up almost like Flacco in Baltimore. EJ got a bad deal - although he was not near the winner that TT was in college - head to head and with TT having much less talent around him. EJ was never a first rounder but neither was TT - both should have been 3rd - and I thought that then - even as a TT homer. Ej should also have come in the league and sat.

Jupiter aligned with Mars and we now have Flacco's backup - and he's got "it".

Fitz vs. Tyrod will be great fun, theater, and great football. Will suck all out if we lose but will be somehow OK (vs. happy) for Fitz. Dude was a baller for us and was let go in a fire sale in which he should have not - IMO.

Bottom line is Fitz was a Bills type of player, just like Spiderman Darrel Talley ALL HEART left it all on the field ! Will never be a HOF player but could have left one heck of a mark on Bills fans !

Reminds me a lot of Farve with out the gun but had & has a decent arm . It amazes me when they say a QB like Fitz doesn't have a arm then launches one accurately for 40+ yards :huh: & connects & does it with some regularity or at least isn't afraid to go for it !

It was total ignorants to write that kind of contract then let the guy walk & STILL PAY HIM FOR 2 YEARS REALLY :wallbash::wallbash: !!

Then to go up after a QB in a class that was down played by one of the best evaluators out there in Mike Mayock ! Heck even Mel knew better than to grab a QB that early !!

Whoever that person was should be flogged !!! :oops::bag::thumbdown:

Edited by T master

Believe it or not, Fitzy is exactly the type of QB we would have wanted on the team this year -- if Tyrod hadn't come out of nowhere to grab the job.

It seems that Fitzy has learned to tone down his gunslinger mentality a bit. The problem now is that the Jets' D has significantly slumped over the past three games, so he's going to find himself in that old familiar situation of having to try and win games himself -- which will be a problem for the Jets.

I see a pick-6 from Fitzy tomorrow night.

He has one from the Titans game.

Signature win against a team who had 1 win and fired their coach half way through the season? LOL!

If he beats the 8-0 Patriots in New England I'd call that a signature win.

Edited by Azucho98

A little unrelated, but fitz and the jets with a winning record reminds me of how good a game caller Chan is.

The guy is the best OC around, and has been for a long time in my book.

So good he got promoted to HC which isnt where he's best. Same with Wade as a DC. Those guys are still among the best coordinators in the game.

Completely agreed. Chan somehow made a relatively competent offense out of a squad starting Fitz, Donald Jones and Scott Chandler. That's the definition of average, if you want to be very kind.

Signature win against a team who had 1 win and fired their coach half way through the season? LOL!

If he beats the 8-0 Patriots in New England I'd call that a signature win.

Who was QB the last time the Bills legitimately beat the Pats** and made Marcia cry?

I always liked Fitzy! He was a man among men..,played hurt and played with grit. He should still be a Buffalo Bill if for no other reason than he is smart and has character. For Rex to make fun of a guy like that pissed me off a bit. If he had more guys that played as hard as Fitz and the same character he may have a better record. Don't get me wrong I think Tyrod could be that same type of guy with a lot more talent....but we shall see.

Go Buffalo!!!

I like Fitz a lot as a person but he has definite limitations as a QB. He played out of his mind for a handful of weeks and got paid for it, but looking back the contract was a mistake.

I'm sure jets fans like what they see out of him.. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I can't disagree about the contract - would have liked to see something similar dollar amount but more incentive-laden. OTOH I still think Lee messed Fitzy up trying to get him to think about his mechanics too much during each throw instead of thinking about his decision making. Fitz claims O'Brien helped him see the game "in a different way", knowing his limitations and playing to his strengths. It's a fact that Fitz had his best year statistically last year with the Texans in terms of TD/INT, completion %, and YPA, especially the 2nd half of the season, and is on pace for a similar year this year. So we'll see.

I do love the comeback Rex: "Fitzpatrick is not a handsome guy" Fitzy: "Well, I have 5 kids, so something is working for me"

Much cheaper.

Kolb signed a deal that was incentive-laden and worth up to $6.5M/year if he hit certain markers. Fitz's deal paid him $10M/year.

I agree that Fitz was the safer choice. I think the team assumed they were starting from scratch with a rookie, so there was no need to pay twice as much for a guy that was maybe 5% better (at least that's what they were thinking at the time).

I think the OP was talking about Kolb's prevous contract, not the one he signed in Buffalo.

Kolb was much cheaper than Fitz would have been in 2013, but not cheaper than the deal Fitzy signed in Tennessee. The forever-unanswered question is "what renegotiated deal did the Bills offer Fitz and what would he actually have signed for in B'lo?". The Bills put it out there that it "averaged" 3 million a year "with incentives" but typically that kind of deal is back-loaded and starts out low. One view is that they offered Fitz a TJax-type deal, $1.5M in 2013 base with nothing guaranteed, get cut in August and get nothing. The Titans deal suggests that if they'd offered Fitz Kolb-type money (he got a good signing bonus) he might well have stayed.

I think the real issue was Marrone wanted a vet with experience in the WCO and the Bills thought they'd seen Fitz ceiling but Kolb might yet be something. They weren't looking at Kolb's medical history.

EJ was widely looked at as a physically gifted "project" so if they were thinking "we don't really need a starting-capable vet" that was stinkin' thinkin'

Edited by Hopeful

I liked Fitz and Chan but relying on Fitz's arm at the end of a game and not stretching the field vertically and using more run game was always the downfall of that. They didn't have the D most the time to hold an opponent either. If not for the leaked phone call the Bills may have stayed with Fitz and who knows we may all have been hating even more by now. :wallbash: He has a lot of heart, brains, some talent and is a competitor, I am happy he is no longer our QB though. TT so far can and will throw a 60 yarder and you just go .... wow a real QB ( knock on wood I hope I am not cursing the guy!!). I remember Fitz did it one time to TO and a bunch to other teams.

Wow. Respect for those comments by Fitz. He is class. I know he said those things when he left, but even now with some success, he's still able to admit he played poorly while here. Hard not to like this guy... until he throws the first TD on Thursday, then I will hate him.

So easily everyone forgets he chose to be another team's backup for less money. If he was such a team player, if he was such a classy guy, he would have restructured his deal. He wasn't going to get less money if he restructured. Did the front office fail us with his contract? Yes. But don't give Fitzpatrick a pass. I have an easier time understanding the man-love for him 3 years removed than I do understanding why he still gets a free pass.

While most including me agree he's a likeable and good guy, Fitz is an 11 year veteran that has played for 6 different teams during his career. His lifetime QB rating is a little over 80. His rating so far this season is 89.2. If statistics win out then over the course of the season he'll probably revert back to his average which means he'll likely underperform the remainder of the season. Hopefully, starting Thursday night against the Bills. At age 32 he's reached his peak potential and is all he can be. The Jets will soon find out firsthand what the other 5 teams already learned. After the season the Jets will reach the same conclusion and will be looking for a QB assuming they've lost faith in Smith to be the answer.

So easily everyone forgets he chose to be another team's backup for less money. If he was such a team player, if he was such a classy guy, he would have restructured his deal. He wasn't going to get less money if he restructured. Did the front office fail us with his contract? Yes. But don't give Fitzpatrick a pass. I have an easier time understanding the man-love for him 3 years removed than I do understanding why he still gets a free pass.

They didn't ask him to "restructure," they asked him to take a big pay cut, and no one volunteers to take less money to be a "team player".

The Bills demanded a huge pay cut not a restructure. Big difference. He was going to get half the money he was owed. He ended up getting less than that for TN but he did that because the Bills told him he was coming to camp as a backup and not even an even chance at starter role.

Fitz = Cassel = Orton = Kolb. At the end of the day, they're all average pocket passers. If anyone thinks that any of those guys would have been able to pick up the third and longs that Taylor picked up on Sunday, you're nuts. EJ is a better runner than any of those 4 and probably wouldn't have picked up first downs either. As for Fitzpatrick, he's mostly lost against the good teams and beat the bad teams. Can't say I would want him over what we have right now.