Jerry Hughes - What do you think?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good coaching would sit Hughes for a prolonged period of time after he makes a bonehead play. Good coaching would also work with him to keep his mind in check and try to prevent those bonehead plays. But this is the downfall of Rex's coaching. Players are encouraged to play with their emotions. It can result in passionate play but it also can result in a lot of mistakes and penalties.

That being said while Hughes hasn't put up huge sack numbers he has at times been a very disruptive player, and at times not made much of an impact. I suspect that his sack numbers will go up soon but if his penalties don't dissappear and he doesn't become more consistent then he will never develop out of what he already is.

Good coaching would sit Hughes for a prolonged period of time after he makes a bonehead play. Good coaching would also work with him to keep his mind in check and try to prevent those bonehead plays. But this is the downfall of Rex's coaching. Players are encouraged to play with their emotions. It can result in passionate play but it also can result in a lot of mistakes and penalties.

That being said while Hughes hasn't put up huge sack numbers he has at times been a very disruptive player, and at times not made much of an impact. I suspect that his sack numbers will go up soon but if his penalties don't dissappear and he doesn't become more consistent then he will never develop out of what he already is.

Show me the good coaches that would "sit their premier pass rusher for long periods of time"

This isnt college

Jerry Hughes may well be the most talented player on the defense. He also has a maddening propensity for ill-timed and stupid penalties. Should the coaching staff just let him play? Should he be benched for a game(s)? Should the team take some other sort of action with him? Is he accountable for his actions? Does his play outweigh the penalties?

What do you think?

Jerry Hughes is the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to punch in the face. Jerry Hughes is also the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to purchase a blowjob for from any woman of his choice.

Every good D has (or should have) that one player who is good for 1 personal foul penalty a game. The guy that plays on the edge of insanity, and sometimes crosses over it.

If it werent for all the other stupid penalties, and non-penalties, that get called on us this wouldnt be such a big deal.

I understand how and why it can be frustrating sometimes, but his regular play is worth it.

I had a whole row of jabronies in front of me yesterday calling for him to be cut... until the 2nd half happened. Then it was immediately "I always liked that Jerry Hughes, he should be on the field every play!"

He's this year's Brandon Spikes. And if he was playing in the same scheme and had the sexy sack numbers, no one would have much of a problem with it.

EDIT: My ONLY problem with his play is that he didnt make his personal foul COUNT. If you are going to hit the QB 5 yards out of bounds and draw a flag, then at least take out his knee. :devil:

I understand the sentiment but that is totally untrue. If a player, any player, gets four PF calls in a season that is a lot. Last year, for example, Jerry Hughes had nine total penalties the entire season. 4 neutral zone. 3 unsportsmanlike. 1 roughing passer. 1 offside. So 4 total personal fouls and we went nuts over it. He got benched for half a game because of too many. This year he has 6 personal foul types already, which is an enormous amount.

Hughes changed the game yesterday, but he has got to get smarter when it comes to the penalties. How many times does he need to get flagged before he figures it out?

he will not figure it out. Some guys play with that edge, it is what makes them great, Jerry has the reputation now. He would have to really throttle his game back not to get a questionable call. I hate when he gets them but not sure i want to see what the other player would look like. Maybe the guy who got traded for a 3rd round LB?

he will not figure it out. Some guys play with that edge, it is what makes them great, Jerry has the reputation now. He would have to really throttle his game back not to get a questionable call. I hate when he gets them but not sure i want to see what the other player would look like. Maybe the guy who got traded for a 3rd round LB?

Yesterday he hit Tannehill after he was outside of the huge white sideline marker. That is not in the "what makes them great" category. I frankly have no idea what to do, but that's intolerable. I guess all you can do is talk to him and hope. Benching him didn't and doesn't work.

IMO this is what an amateur coach would do. Too good to bench, and I don't think it would make him better. But to each their own. I'll keep rooting for 55 while he continues to make game winning plays for the Bills.

I trust Rex and co. much more than the Monday morning message board QBs.

IMO this is what an amateur coach would do. Too good to bench, and I don't think it would make him better. But to each their own. I'll keep rooting for 55 while he continues to make game winning plays for the Bills.

I trust Rex and co. much more than the Monday morning message board QBs.

Last year, if you recall, Pepper Johnson and Schwartz benched him after taking a personal foul penalty. Marrone never noticed that he wasn't in the game and he spent most of the second half on the bench. That didn't work, as he's worse this year. ;)

What he already is is the best pass rusher the Bills have. I don't get fans that want to bench him. Who will play in his place? This is such a stupid discussion. He had a great game yesterday.

Jerry's fowl wasn't dirty by any means. Not ripping head gear off or stomping on a leg. It is lack of self control which comes from going all out each play. Watch him for a few plays when the play is away from him and you will be impressed. Did any body hear Darius's name yesterday? Missed Kyle a Lot.

Thanks.

To go one step further, I'd say the Special Teams penalties are WAY WORSE and more unforgivable. They have to stop, or Crossman has to go asap.

Yes. Giving the opposition drive starts near mid field is a short cut to Shitzville. It's one of the reasons the Pats* had such an easy time with us.

Having a loose cannon like Hughes can get into a QB's mind... and perhaps even his knees.

IK's somewhat in the same mold.

That's a beautiful thing 26CB. Bee-ooo-tee-full!

Who was that on the left side - Mario? He releases #71 then jumps in the air with both hands up and looks like he touches his cheeks in an, "OH MY!" :lol:

@YardsPerPass

Jerry gonna Jerry... Freeney-esque spin move here It was a TE screen here, + IK makes a nice play grabbing him

OldfashionedFrayedFruitbat.gif

I understand the sentiment but that is totally untrue. If a player, any player, gets four PF calls in a season that is a lot. Last year, for example, Jerry Hughes had nine total penalties the entire season. 4 neutral zone. 3 unsportsmanlike. 1 roughing passer. 1 offside. So 4 total personal fouls and we went nuts over it. He got benched for half a game because of too many. This year he has 6 personal foul types already, which is an enormous amount.

Well, "one a game" is an obvious exaggeration. No one is doing that. Not Brandon Spikes, or Suh, or Suggs, or Wilfork, or any other loose cannon that happens to also be an All-Pro.

And while his HC might not have realized he was benched, the other team sure did and took full advantage of us missing one of our best players.

Should he cut down on the stupid mistakes? Of course.

Am I going to cut or bench him? Heck no.

Well, "one a game" is an obvious exaggeration. No one is doing that. Not Brandon Spikes, or Suh, or Suggs, or Wilfork, or any other loose cannon that happens to also be an All-Pro.

And while his HC might not have realized he was benched, the other team sure did and took full advantage of us missing one of our best players.

Should he cut down on the stupid mistakes? Of course.

Am I going to cut or bench him? Heck no.

Oh, right. I am at a total loss on what to do about it. I was incensed over it and I told my brother who I was watching the game with that they have to bench him. I never thought that before. And it would have been a huge mistake. I just don't know what to do except just try to talk to him.

Oh, right. I am at a total loss on what to do about it. I was incensed over it and I told my brother who I was watching the game with that they have to bench him. I never thought that before. And it would have been a huge mistake. I just don't know what to do except just try to talk to him.

The Bills need to institute a kangaroo court.

The players need to take it upon themselves to levy pre-agreed upon fines on players every time they take a 15 yarder for PI, roughing, taunting, late hits, etc.

Players that don't agree should be shunned.